Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know if a bunch of off and on will be good for it.
iF YOU SIT THERE AND THROW THE SWITCH on and do the dance of joy, shut the water off and on and do the dance of joy again and you do that over and over for a week it may be an issue . but other wise your fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The waterfall, circulation jet, and breather pipe all work great!!!! Plenty of power for all three and the waterfall is just right. The only thing that didn't work right was the intake bay. When I was rocking it in, I didn't use the laser level. This meant that my rocks are all below the surface so the bay isn't a "separate" space. The flow of water isn't restricted in any way, so the draw is slow. Tomorrow, the intake bay will be my project. I think it should be an easy fix!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The waterfall, circulation jet, and breather pipe all work great!!!! Plenty of power for all three and the waterfall is just right. The only thing that didn't work right was the intake bay. When I was rocking it in, I didn't use the laser level. This meant that my rocks are all below the surface so the bay isn't a "separate" space. The flow of water isn't restricted in any way, so the draw is slow. Tomorrow, the intake bay will be my project. I think it should be an easy fix!
Never say that a project is going to be an easy fix :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Woke up to a good lesson learned. Yesterday afternoon, I pumped out enough water to access the intake bay today, so I could add rocks to improve the flow.
Woke up this morning to an empty pond!!!!!! At first, I was stunned and horrified.
Then I realized - oh yeah. I unplugged the pump but left it in there. I believe (and HOPE) the siphon action was enough to drain it because I left it in there. That is all it could be. (I hope.) I worked all day yesterday on the edges of the bog, so I wasn't doing anything that could have damaged the pond. Cross your fingers everyone!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just catching up here @bagsmom - WOW! Your dream because reality and it's even BETTER than the dream version! You are going to just love this space and so will all the little creatures that are lucky enough to find it!

Fingers crossed you're right about the pump... I'm sure that's it! How much water do you estimate this pond holds?

And hey - an updated photo of the front yard pond would be excellent. Can't play favorites now, you know!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It was the siphon action, thank God! I did an experiment. I noticed that a little suspended dirt had settled at the bottom of the bog snorkel, so I pumped some out, then unplugged the pump, leaving it in. 5 minutes later, it was still flowing out strong! I am certain that is what happened with the main pond. It was a good lesson to learn now, though, before I get fish. That would have been sad!

I adjusted the rocks in the intake bay and now it is pulling stuff in! I tested by putting a mosquito dunk at the far end. It doesn't take long to end up in the bay!

I have my De-chlor and More in the water. On Thursday or Friday, I have 50 rosy red minnows coming!
I really have no idea about the amount of water. I am guessing 1500 to 2000 gallons? I need to get out with a tape measure and do some math.
I do know that the shallow end is calf deep. The next level is knee deep. The next is mid-thigh deep and the deepest part is not quite hip deep, but close.
I will attach a few snaps of the waterfall running - and the bog!

Attachments

• IMG_4058.jpg
    IMG_4058.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4060.jpg
    IMG_4060.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4061.jpg
    IMG_4061.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4062.jpg
    IMG_4062.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
See the empty space above the sort of heart-shaped rock between the two waterfalls? I think I might put some sunpatiens in there. At the base of that rock, I am toying with making a moss bed planter and putting in pitcher plants, like GBBUDD.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
As requested by Lisak1, here are a few shots of the front yard pond. It needs a little love. I've been neglecting it! The neglect has resulted in a ton of newts, though. I love them!
The newt is about 6 inches below the surface of the water. It is staying really clear, in spite of being ignored.

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 38
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 39
  • pond3.jpg
    pond3.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 39
  • pond4.jpg
    pond4.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 38
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
See the moss to the right of the waterfall? There are actually several cobbles there on top of a big flat rock. The moss has completely engulfed them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Your front yard pond is lovely...love the moss and maturity of the pond. Your new wild life pond has turned out great and is sure to provide you lots of enjoyment :)

Ask a Question