Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put the scrap liner under the pipes since I have my slits pointing down. I figured years and years of pounding with the water might wear out the real liner. Might not but why not take a chance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think it will have much effect on how the water flows from the pipes, but I've only had one cup of coffee so far today.

Picture this: What if you installed your bog pipes completely vertical. Slits from top to bottom. As you pump water into that pipe, what happens? It will depend on the size of the pipe and the size of the slits, I guess. If you have a small pipe and small slits, you will have high pressure. Water will come out of the bottom first, but as the pipe fills up due to back pressure, it will come out all the slits. If you have enough pressure and small enough slits, flow out of the slits will be pretty even across all of them. If you have a big pipe with big slits and low flow, all the water will come out of the bottom slits and the top slits will always be dry.

Does any of that even matter? I guess that's what you initially asked. Probably not much. I guess if you're not building any way to backflush your bog you may end up clogging the lower portion of your bog before the rest. But, again, depends on... oh gee why am I still typing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
combat wombat - some days there aren't enough cups of coffee in the world to get my brain going!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Making way for the rocks!!!!!! When I dug the pond, I saved some of the good topsoil to use around the finished pond. I piled it up in our old, unused fire pit area and made another pile next to it on a tarp. Fast forward two years and it's covered with weeds and infested with ants! Ick! Unfortunately, those piles are in the direct path of the skid loader or bobcat that will deliver the rocks and set the pallets in the yard. Yesterday I did the non-fun grunt work of pulling the weeds and moving the dirt to make way for rocks! I decided to just go ahead and build up the berms around the pond. I would have preferred to do it after the fact, but this will work fine. I have more to do tomorrow - I need to finish clearing the fire pit and will empty the tarp - but I made good progress and got quite a workout before the sun went directly overhead and drove me back into the AC!

Attachments

• rockprep1.jpg
    rockprep1.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 61
  • rockprep2.jpg
    rockprep2.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 58
  • rockprep3.jpg
    rockprep3.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 67
  • rockprep4.jpg
    rockprep4.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 66
  • rockprep5.jpg
    rockprep5.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 66

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Does any of that even matter? I guess that's what you initially asked. Probably not much. I guess if you're not building any way to backflush your bog you may end up clogging the lower portion of your bog before the rest. But, again, depends on... oh gee why am I still typing.
lol you are a typer! I have no back flush do have the ability to drain which I have never done. 10 years later it is still running fine with no intervention from me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't think it will have much effect on how the water flows from the pipes, but I've only had one cup of coffee so far today.

Picture this: What if you installed your bog pipes completely vertical. Slits from top to bottom. As you pump water into that pipe, what happens? It will depend on the size of the pipe and the size of the slits, I guess. If you have a small pipe and small slits, you will have high pressure. Water will come out of the bottom first, but as the pipe fills up due to back pressure, it will come out all the slits. If you have enough pressure and small enough slits, flow out of the slits will be pretty even across all of them. If you have a big pipe with big slits and low flow, all the water will come out of the bottom slits and the top slits will always be dry.

seriously considerring your idea, the first thought is that with verticle, the push force is going horizontally and that would mean bypassing some of your media as it would NOT all start from the bottom. So, for that reason alone, I'd think you'd get less efficiency/efficacy.

BUT! that was a fun read, @combatwombat !!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine was not totally level, it caused no issues. The pea gravel I used just filled any of the voids. I did put extra liner under the pvc pipes
Yours is full of just rock, correct? I'm seeing so many wetland filters with milk crates, aqua blocks, etc. I was planning to just do the pipe with rocks in graduated sizes -- cobbles to egg rock to pea gravel. Is the void space necessary? My bog excavation is sort of elliptical in shape, due to the ground in that location. I don't think the small aqua blocks would fit in there that securely but I could probably make it work if it is really beneficial. I'm not planning a re-do - but wanting reassurance that I don't need to! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have rocks!!!!! It is still kind of hot here so I am going to finish a few indoor projects this week. Next week, it is going to be more pleasant and fall-like, so I will probably get rockin' and rollin' then! :D

Attachments

• IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Update - those lovely rocks are still sitting there! Pond construction to begin in the next couple of months. I have work going into April, so I am thinking I'll start then.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Update - those lovely rocks are still sitting there! Pond construction to begin in the next couple of months. I have work going into April, so I am thinking I'll start then.
How will you be able to work when your brain will be thinking all the time about the pond construction
1645383411784.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Truer words were never spoken! It is training for a part time job. So once the training is over, I will be working two days a week. That means 3 days to play with the pond! :D
Wow nice kind of job to have and then come home to play..............work you butt off at first doing all the heavy stuff but then comes the decorating and to me that's the most fun part
1645396028012.gif

Well then of course putting the fish in there too
1645396131808.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The fun part is getting closer! Today I am doing some more digging - installing a dry well in a low spot. The plan is to begin pond work again starting next weekend! The only problem might be speed, or rather, the lack of it. I'm much slower and weaker than I was 5 years ago. Maybe moving all those rocks will be the ultimate strength training workout! :LOL:

Ask a Question