Here we go -- FINALLY! A pond for wildlife...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah, I cannot fathom what makes the stuff so expensive. It must just be limited production + shipping since it's so heavy? The materials and process to make it seem like it ought to be pretty cheap. Concrete itself is cheap because it's batched locally pretty much all over the world.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yeah, I cannot fathom what makes the stuff so expensive. It must just be limited production + shipping since it's so heavy? The materials and process to make it seem like it ought to be pretty cheap. Concrete itself is cheap because it's batched locally pretty much all over the world.
Problem anymore is you can’t use logic( for some things) to why some things are expensive an other thing aren’t. Take a 6”x6” for example they went up in price so they were just as expensive as a 6”x8”,in the same length, and stayed that way for awhile. So we just stopped using 6x6 in our builds and just use 6x8’s, untilthe 6x8’s respond and go up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think we have decided to do some sort of homemade concrete cloth on the high side of the pond. The current discussion is - use heavy underlayment to glop up and smear with concrete? Or canvas drop cloth? Lots of questions in my mind: would the synthetic fabric "accept" the concrete the same way a natural fiber would? Seems like the synthetic underlayment would last longer, whereas the cotton might break down over time and weaken the structure of the homemade concrete cloth. Do I need to add anything into the concrete, to make it resistant to cracking? That might be the function of the fabric.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I've looked on YouTube and it's surprising how few videos there are on the DIY concrete cloth topic. You can find some on how to make fun flowerpots and decorative things. Most of the videos about concrete cloth used in a more practical application are several years old. I wonder if it just isn't trendy? Or if the lack of videos means it doesn't work well?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I HAVE TRIED similar the problem comes in is concrete in thin coats an inch or less is actually very brittle and when it breaks because its thin it makes hundreds of sharp knives.. I n thinking of what was the stickiest most gripping pain in the ass to clean off the tools when dry would be tile mastic with a latex additive it holds on really well doesn't chip and splinter it will stick to fabric. going to think about it a little more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
GBUDD - would a chipmunk be able to chew through the latex/tile mastic stuff? You make a good point about the cement crumbling. Maybe I just need an extra layer of underlayment -- a chipmunk could chew through it but maybe I can hope for lazy chipmunks?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Problem with the 6x8' is you pay in a different way with your back ....
That is what my excavators are for and on the rare occasion can’t use one that is why we have employees. My days of lifting very heavy objects are over when I don’t have to, still will but am smarter when I do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This is interesting, too. We were looking on YouTube and found a video of a strange fella using concrete/cement and fiberglass. He said he learned that a certain chemical in the cement will actually degrade the fiberglass and make it crumble. Then we found another video with someone using a pre-mixed cement and fiberglass blend - made by Quikrete. I am less inclined to trust the dude sitting on the ground with his chickens and weird sunhat. (That is judging a book by its cover, I know - but he was quite the odd character.). Seems that if Quikrete makes and sells something, it is probably useful?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is what my excavators are for and on the rare occasion can’t use one that is why we have employees. My days of lifting very heavy objects are over when I don’t have to, still will but am smarter when I do it.
I'M REWORKING MY BOG I WAS going to do a traditional 6x6 wall but i changed my mind and doing a conventional frame . BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO LUG THEM AROUND a couple bustresses around the bog down to the mafia blocks solves the strength issue that's needed for support. The falls i stepped inward to the bog so i could use the big character stones i already had in place. if it works like i plan it will all be worth it. The new waterfall will be three times what the old one was in height and width. Also found that the lower bog has really swelled from all the plant life, going to have to lift those edges.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
GBUDD - would a chipmunk be able to chew through the latex/tile mastic stuff? You make a good point about the cement crumbling. Maybe I just need an extra layer of underlayment -- a chipmunk could chew through it but maybe I can hope for lazy chipmunks?
it hardens just like concrete but you can trowel it onto the fabric then cover it in an other layer of fabric it won't break apart like thin concrete will.

ok i thought they did not make tunnels like prairie dogs but it seems they do.

Looking at your pond it's going to be challenging as they can go down to 3' and that's two shelves for you so the bench has to be done as well. the fabric and mastic will bond and stick but i question how thick it would need to be if they burrow they are digging and they may be able to get through the fabric and i would assume you'd need at least a 1/4" to deter them. myself, i think i would use durock it's a heck of a lot cheaper than concrete cloth but it will be some work for sure.

i question if the fiberglass and infused with asphalt / or just the typical fiberglass sheeting they sell at the depot wouldn't do the job. It should stop them as they would not want to bite that stuff and i imagine like all wild life they take the path of least resistance. it will resist scratching for a while. 'it' splenty flexible no relief cuts would be needed it's light and bends easily. id use duct tape to hold them all together and to lessen the sharp edges then install the fabric liner fabric

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Let me just say we are INUNDATED with chipmunks and we've never had any issue with them tunneling into the waterfall or touching the liner. They dig up my bulbs and nibble my bulbs, move my seeds, and dig around the rocks, but that's about it . Not that it can't happen, but you may be overthinking this one @bagsmom

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know they and squirrels hate moth FLAKES it may be worth loading up under the liner and hope for the best. I know this is your long time coming baby

Ask a Question