Here we go...

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We are supposed to have great weather tomorrow. So work is definitely on the playbook. Sunday they are calling for rain most of the day. :sad:

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Weekend Update - we finished the wall behind the filter. I really like how it turned out. Husband wasn't pleased with the stability so he reinforced the inside with metal stakes driven into ground. Then I stapled some liner to the inside of them so they won't be in direct contact with water, therefore, no rotting. It took longer than planned but was worth it to make sure its stable and will last. I planted some pansies in it today and look forward to seeing them in bloom. Put one of my bird houses on the edge of the bed.
IMG_2803.JPG IMG_2811a.jpg IMG_2809.JPG
We also removed the railing on the deck and hope to start on the addition to that in the next week or so. It really opened up the area and the pond is so much more visible from deck. The addition is going to be another 4 feet, which will take it to within 18" of pond edge. I'm really excited about that.
IMG_2806.JPG
I also added more pea gravel to the bog. After looking at other ponders bogs I decided that mine didn't have enough. Still not sure it does and may add a bit more. I managed to spread more mulch this afternoon and I'm really looking forward to my plants arriving in the mail. I'm trying to start the seeds I got from ebay - not holding out much hope on those. LOL We also got the in-pond lights hooked up and boy are they bright. I think when the water warms up and its tolerable, I will go in and put some of the colored lenses on the lights.
IMG_2808.JPG IMG_2815.JPG
While at the store I did purchase some dishpans to use for my lillies that I've ordered and stocked up on some Kitty litter to plant them in. Overall I think we had a productive weekend and I'm pooped.

:goldfish: :goldfish: I may get some fish this week. Super excited about that! :goldfish: :goldfish:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
with our weather warming up here this week you have inspired me to do some clean up and readying the pond to be refilled hopefully tomorrow since I dont have to work until later in the afternoon! Woo hoooo your's is looking great!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks RA I am enjoying all of it. Look forward to seeing some pics of yours when its refilled too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great job, PL! Those pansies are going to look beautiful up there behind the filter! Good idea about putting some of the liner against the wood. I never would have thought about that! It looks really nice how you fixed that up and enclosed that area. I like it! The deck addition will be sweet, sitting there with your coffee, or cold drink and enjoying the fish and waterfalls. I, too, need to add more pea gravel. I re-read Addy's blog and now realize what I have done wrong! That will have to wait until end of the summer to correct, but will get more pea gravel eventually.
Oh, BTW, love the cows! I've always liked cows. They are curious creatures, usually calm, and they smell way better than pigs. LOL Herefords are my favorite. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
PL nice job on the bog and your wall looks great! What kind of fish are you going to get. You may have already said but I forget.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is looking great! soon you will have fish swimming and lilies blooming

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
JW - I have 2 Shubunkins that I bought a few weeks back and they are in my aquarium. They may get transferred to pond. I really think I am going by the high school and getting some of their Koi. They are gorgeous!

CE - those cows are my husbands babies. He says its "just a hobby." The black ones are last years babies. A few years ago we lost a momma giving birth, in the middle of winter. It was pure luck that my husband even found her baby hiding in the grass and we bottle feed him. Of course I named him Lucky.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, cattle can become very much a hobby. I knew friends who started out with 3, and after several years (not sure how many exactly) they had a herd of about 15! She could not butcher then, they were her babies. LOL Lucky is a very lucky guy indeed! My former father in law always had Herefords, and first fresheners were bred to Black Angus, because they were smaller, and babies were easier to be born. Herefords are larger cows, I guess. I just like their coloring. Black white face babies are so adorable, too.
Yes, at the price your local high school charges for koi, you should definitely get some! Weren't you thinking of getting some mosquito fish first, then the goldfish, then the koi, or am I remembering someone else's post? Once you have fish, you will be staring at that pond for hours at a time! And, lilies, oh, they are so much fun to watch grow because they grow so fast!
Remind us what type of plants you bought and are waiting for, too!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like the Shubunkins and especially the ones w/ the long flowing tails. I'll be looking for some this year. I like any of them w/ the long flowing tails tho no matter what color they are! My fav's w/ the koi are the long tailed or Butterfly type also. So pretty looking gliding through the water.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We have one Black Angus bull, 5 heifers and right now 5 babies. I love seeing them out in the pasture, but they are totally my husbands. The big ole bull kind of scares me. LOL
Going to get some Koi from the high school after work. :banana:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
PL pond is looking good. I like the rocks around the pond, all the different sizes and how the pea gravel in the bog seems to color match the other rocks you have in your yard.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Ok..... drum roll....... here are my first occupants of our pond. I have never seen so many Koi in one spot before. It was very hard to choose. They range in size from 6 - 8".
aIMG_2740.jpg
I tried to get pics of all 5, but one didn't come out well.

IMG_2741.JPG IMG_2753.JPG photo (44).JPG aIMG_2763.jpg

I feel like a real ponder now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Woohoo!!! They are very pretty! Does that one yellow one with the darker scales down it's topline have red spots on it? I've never seen one with red on it before. Very unique! I can see how you had a hard time choosing from all of those, and you made some really nice choices. Now you feel like a real pond owner! I hope they do very well for you! How warm is your water now? I forgot to check mine this evening, but yesterday it was still just around 50. Today's outside temps were 77, and when I put my arm in to pull more of that darn algae, it was MUCH warmer at the top! Assume the water on the bottom is cooler, but with the waterfall moving water, it may be getting pretty warm in there!

Ask a Question