heron- fishing lines across pond

Reaction score
hello all,

i built a pond last year and put to bumkins in and last year i caught a heron checking them out. i was wondering if that trick works or not i dont want to lose the koi i just purchased. my pond is in the corner of my house, here is a video after rehab and before the green stage:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pond and deck are both looking really good! fishing lines above and around the pond are probably the single most effective way to stop heron attacks. The trick is getting the lines close enough to stop them from flying in and walking in. A good way to make sure they know the lines are there is tie strips of cloth on them so the see them waving. I'll be putting my netting up this week. I'm going to attempt to hang mine from Bamboo poles so it's at least 8' off the water to try and not give that fully covered loo.

Reaction score
When I strung fishing line, like 30 lb test, over my pond I was concerned about birds being able to see it. I was surprised that the Great Blue Herons stood on neighbor's roof looking but didn't attempt entry. One Heron did make it to the pond and when I scared it off it flew thru a tight opening in the tree, so it seem to me he was aware of the line. An Egret climbed through the middle of a lemon tree to avoid the line. And I watched a Mallard duck come in for a landing, stopped just above the line, hovered a bit, made an adjustment, and came in between the lines which were 3' apart and about 10' above the ground. So I think they can see the line, at least 30 lb anyways.

After those break ins there weren't any more attempts that I could tell. I think is was effective. But in my case they had limited access coming in from the sides. They will walk in under line if they can.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's good info waterbug. I was wondering about if it would be better to use a heavy mono-filimant line, cotton twine, or braided fishing line. Used 15-20 lb mono line at the old house and I did notice it was becoming quite brittle when I took the pond down. I'm planning on hanging the black leaf neat from above head aprox. 8' off the ground. 3' of netting from the ground up around the pond, then running lines between the 3' to the top. I was thinking running about 3' apart on the lines going up and down as we have a pair of small herons (Tri color I think) that are nesting near the natural pond. At least once a week we were getting a visit by a snowy egret and sometimes two that would visit when we first moved in, (they haven't shown back up now for about three weeks since I took a couple of shots and chased them off. One blue heron did stop at the natural pond and I took a shot at it as well. (just so anyone wants to know, No birds have been harmed just scared off. I'm a good shot, and I found they don't like getting hit with a spray of mud when you shoot a little low and in front of them.) or the King fisher that stops by. So far they have stayed at the natural pond but I know it's only a matter of time. They are beautiful birds and actually I've learned a lot by watching them and the way they hunt. Did you know that a Great Blue heron actually prefers larger prey? I've watched the small herons and the snowy go for 3-6" fish continuosly, The GBH waited to catch a small bass of about 12-14". I also watched one gobble down a good 2# catfish. So the old theroy that they won't take the larger fish, or remove them to get to the smaller fish id kind of incorrect. they actually seem to prefer fish that are larger in size.
All the sides of the pond are 36" straight down drops on the pond, there are hiding areas, and most of the perching areas around the koi pond have been eliminated, I have two driveway allarms that are pretty loud, and I hang CD's to try and deter. but there is plenty of places that predators could walk around the pond. Other predators I still have to deal with is some Owls, racoons, and snakes. I myself am trying to take every precation I can to avoid attacks. things I quit trying I found don't work. fake herons. they may work at some times in the year but others they draw them in. (Mating season) Motion scarecrows, You get wet, bird learns how it works and avoids. I guess in ways the heron was smarter than me when it came to that device. Oh and snakes, fake and real don't scare herons either. They will try to eat the fake ones though!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had 30 lb test over my pond, about a foot apart, the heron went right though it, tangled up its feet, did a nose dive into the pond and flew away as I screamed at it. Also had the 30 lb test around the edge of the pond, 6 inches apart, that heron went and squeezed between the lines, also did a tangle nose dive into the edge of the pond.

So for me no good.

The chicken wire around the edge the bird could walk in and the two floating gator heads have stopped it so far.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fishin- I have both my ponds netted using pvc pipe 5-6' above the pond. Works well to keep everybody out and the net isnt too noticable.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 2,177

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I used to have a wood frame and bird netting stapled to it but one heron got one of my fish through one of the gaps. They'll just stand at the edge of the pond and wait until a fish comes close.

Because the wood rotted over time I now have 1/2" PVC frames with bird netting zip tied to it. The pond is now completely covered with top and side PVC frames. But that's really no way to enjoy fish. I just wish the herons would go somewhere else. In Florida I've seen swimming pools covered with a frame structure. If I were redo my pond I'd definitely build a frame around it and cover with netting.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I haven't seen the heron since I put Stan out, I move him every few days to a different location. Really can't do fishing line with all my landscaping and trees around the pond plus the dogs like to walk around the edge of the pond.

Attachments

• P1030962.JPG
    P1030962.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,222

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If I were a heron I think I would be scared of Stan as well. That's one scary but cool looking pelican. Is that one that was cut by a chainsaw artist? We have gone down to the coast a few times and watch a fellow that carves on the beach. It's really cool to watch him carve animals out of what once was just a simple log. We've seen a few that he even made multiple animals out of the whole trunk of trees. If I could afford one I would love to have one but the guy that carves down here only sells a few and they are extremely expensive. The more I look at Stan the more I like him!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If I were a heron I think I would be scared of Stan as well. That's one scary but cool looking pelican. Is that one that was cut by a chainsaw artist? We have gone down to the coast a few times and watch a fellow that carves on the beach. It's really cool to watch him carve animals out of what once was just a simple log. We've seen a few that he even made multiple animals out of the whole trunk of trees. If I could afford one I would love to have one but the guy that carves down here only sells a few and they are extremely expensive. The more I look at Stan the more I like him!
Larkin my in laws gave Stan to us a few years ago. They picked him up in SC heading home from Hilton head. We had him out there two years ago then brought him in for the winter and forgot to put him out last year. Then I put him out this year and so far no heron. It could just be coincidence but for now he is going to be guardian of the pond, until winter.

Ask a Question