Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by herzausstahl, Jul 2, 2011.

1. herzausstahl

herzausstahl herzausstahl

Thanks Keith,
    I had thought long and hard about the bottom drain and thats also why I was looking at DrDave's Bio Filter, because it has the settlement area built in and would let the waste settle to the bottom of the filter where I could pump it out. Also why I was looking at pumps that could sit on the bottom and handle the waste. But I might lead towards the goldfish so I can have plants in it as well.

Dr Dave,
    Have you had anyone use your filter in a cold climate (I'm on the border of Zone 4-5)? I planned on using the rigid PVC to run into the filter and but connect it to the pump with the corrugated tubing. In winter I would disconnect the corrugated tubing, drain the filter, and use a compressor to blow out the rigid PVC lines so they wouldn't crack. Is there anything I have to do to preserve the beneficial bacteria in the filter? Any advice would be appreciated and I am going to go one winter without fish in it so I can experiment and find what works, for the filter and for keeping a hole in the ice.

herzausstahl, Jul 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. herzausstahl

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

The beneficial bacteria dies during the winter and starts growing again in the spring. It usually dies in 5 plus minus hours if there is no water flow which stops the oxygen they need.

addy1, Jul 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. herzausstahl

whiskey Always trying to perfect something fishy

Us english say look after the pennies the pounds will biuld, hello and welcome from good old england.

whiskey, Jul 7, 2011
  4. herzausstahl

DrDave Innovator Moderator

Actually quite a few members on this forum are using the doc bio filter that live in freezing zones. A search should turn up some of those. I don't keep track of them myself as I do not sell the filter or plans, this information is provide here and on my web site as a free service.

DrDave, Jul 7, 2011
  5. herzausstahl

CometKeith

herz, A lot of us on the forum only have goldfish. My goldfish are very friendly and fun to watch. It is really neat watching them in the spring because the males will chase the females for hours. It looks like a blur of color rushing around the pond. The latest thing is they line up in a row across the front of the pond when it is feeding time all with their mouths open at the same time! I think a lot of people don't know the full range of goldfishes behaviors because they have never seen them in a natural pond setting.

CometKeith, Jul 8, 2011
  6. herzausstahl

lol cometkeith, the line up!, this is the original five, not a real good picture too much reflection, all the babies now line up too I really enjoy watching them, I can see them from the house looking down on the pond.

[​IMG]

addy1, Jul 8, 2011
  7. herzausstahl

j.w I Love my Goldies

That's funny addy that they are all lined up like that :confused:

j.w, Jul 8, 2011
  8. herzausstahl

I usually only plant the distressed plants, fifty cents or less, they are gallon pots but you know men lol, he worried.

addy1, Jul 8, 2011
  9. herzausstahl

taherrmann4 Tmann

herzausstahl sorry for getting back to you a little late. Yes my pond does freeze over with the exception of a small hole from my aerator and my small heater I use when it gets really cold. I used a 3" pipe from the pump to a "Y" then from there it goes into 2" pipes one to the waterfall and the other to the creeks. My main line drains back towards the pond, however the one that goes to the creeks actually goes downhill then back up about 2 feet, so I have a "T" at the low spot with a ball valve on it and when I shut down the pond for the winter I open up the valve and let any water drain out. I keep the valve open all winter and just put one of those washer machine metal strainer things over the end to keep out any mice. Now the pipe that goes from the bottom of my skimmer to my pump which is external will have water in at whatever water level the pond is at and I am sure it freezes but I have never had a problem with it breaking. The type of pipe I used is the thicker walled pvc maybe 1/4" thick not sure though. If I wanted to keep water out of it completely I would have to install some sort of cap at the bottom of the skimmer and then suck out the water.

If this does not make sense let me know and I will give it another try.

taherrmann4, Jul 8, 2011
  10. herzausstahl

taherrmann4 Tmann

I currenty do not have a BD but am looking at adding one b/c I feel that I am sucking way too much volume through my skimmer since my pump is quite powerfull. If I add this it will slow down the volume that I am pulling through it and also assist in keeping the bottom a bit cleaner. I have to clean the bottom twice a year with a pond vac.

taherrmann4, Jul 8, 2011
  11. herzausstahl

Thanks Dr Dave,
    I'll do a search and see what I turn up.

Addy,
    Thanks, I've dabbled in Bonsai for the last 3 yrs (finally this year, kept trees alive through the winter), and those kind are great ones to experiment with because they usually have interesting features, although here there is only 1 garden store I found that has a discount section, but they sell up to 5 gallon pots in it. Price depends on level of stress.

CometKieth,
    I noticed that and after a different post by addy I think I am just gonna go with goldfish.

taherrmann4,
    Thanks you answered my plumbing question! I got 2" Flex PVC ordered and was just going to let it drain back into the pond. Hopefully it will react the same way yours does, and it should get a blanket of snow insulation when it gets really cold here. Figure if a piece cracks I can cut it out and glue in a replacement section.
    Thanks again everyone, think I will create a progressive build thread in that section when I have time.

herzausstahl, Jul 9, 2011
  12. herzausstahl

taherrmann4 Tmann

what sort of Bonsai trees do you have?

taherrmann4, Jul 9, 2011
  13. herzausstahl

herzausstahl I hang out at lowes, here they have unreal price cuts, sometimes on plants that are real healthy but just stopped blooming. They have racks of them in the back of their nursery section.

Usually .50 to 1.00 for 12-20 dollar plants.

addy1, Jul 9, 2011
  14. herzausstahl

taherrmann4 Tmann

My wife always checks out the hospital carts also (that is what she calls them).

taherrmann4, Jul 9, 2011
  15. herzausstahl

taherrmann4,
    Nothing that would officially pass as a bonsai yet, mostly a bunch of Junipers in training phases. Some still in their nursery pots from last year and some in grow boxes. Mostly I learned from my earlier mistakes of trusting the Bonsai books that show you 3yrs plus of training on a tree all in one afternoon. They all died a month later. Then I found some good online information so I stopped overworking my trees.

Addy,
    We don't have a Lowes close by just Home Depot and Menards and they only discount their plants around this time, but not majorly until August,Sept,Oct and then at most 50-75% off, still some good deals but not that good. There is a garden center that will go further but their discount depends on the level of die back on the tree/shrub. Got about 6 groundcovers for $5 that normally would be almost that much for one and half survived so their section is always worth a look.

herzausstahl, Jul 10, 2011
  16. herzausstahl

CometKeith

Re plants, most of our perennial plants we have either divided up and moved or found when I demolished houses. I actually broke down and bought something recently because I found a coneflower plant with orange flowers at Home Depot. I had only seen them before at the botanical gardens, never at a store.

CometKeith, Jul 10, 2011
  17. herzausstahl

I just saw that orange cone flower at hd also. Maybe I can find one more spot! Next year I will be doing a lot of dividing, or this fall, need to get my plant books out.

addy1, Jul 10, 2011
  18. herzausstahl

CometKeith

Addy for the last several years I would bicycle ride through the Chicago Botanical Gardens. They breed and grow cone flowers in a lot of different colors. I tried to find out if they sold any of them, but they didn't so it was pretty exciting to see the orange ones commercially available.

CometKeith, Jul 10, 2011
  19. herzausstahl

sissy sissy

squish it in addy

sissy, Jul 10, 2011
  20. herzausstahl

j.w I Love my Goldies

Aw addy has tons of space to put more plants. Will come a day tho soon for squishing in cuz she's getting lots of bargains at the box stores :lol:

j.w, Jul 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question