Hi everyone

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
taherrmann4,
does your pond ever freeze over, and when it does how do the pipes handle it? I figure with 2 in pipe, if all the water drains into the pond it should leave enough room in the pipe for the rest to freeze/expand without rupturing the pipe, but I wasn't sure about the piping right at the water level in the pond. I would probably bury it about 12" down and expect it to freeze if left full.

Sissy,
What did you use to insulate the pipes underground? I like the idea, because our frost line depends on how much snow we get. I figure this year winter will be my test to see how things go before I even try to add fish. The metal isn't a bad idea either. I chose the Flex PVC figuring I would get the strength and ease of PVC without having to worry as much about the pipes bursting. And blowing out the lines like a sprinkler is an idea I had. How does it work for yours going in and out of the pond, or does yours go through the liner underground (via bulkhead of course)? Like all newbs, still trying to avoid cutting the liner so I don't need to worry about future leaks.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My honey wanted ours buried deep for two reasons, I could dig and plant without hitting them, and for freeze, even though with our 30 foot plus drop there is no way any water will stay in those pipes.

I think he was more worried I would dig through them ............lol

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Ok, that makes sense. I tend to buy the plants in the 1 gallon pots to save $ and let them grow, so anything I plant near the stream where the line would run wouldn't have to be too deep and I could hand dig it with a little spade. That's also why I splurged for the Flex PVC hoping that it would make it easier to bury and more freeze resistant since it could flex with it more than rigid PVC, still not sure if I buy the sellers claim that it can freeze solid and be ok, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You will probably need to add a bottom drain if you are thinking about Koi because they get large and produce a lot of waste. If you are thinking about shubunkins or comets then it's not as necessary. Also if you are thinking about putting in plants they will be easier to maintain with just goldfish. It looks like it will be very nice.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Bottom drains are optional. 43 years without one and the bottom is clean with over 200" of Koi in my lower pond.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks Keith,
I had thought long and hard about the bottom drain and thats also why I was looking at DrDave's Bio Filter, because it has the settlement area built in and would let the waste settle to the bottom of the filter where I could pump it out. Also why I was looking at pumps that could sit on the bottom and handle the waste. But I might lead towards the goldfish so I can have plants in it as well.

Dr Dave,
Have you had anyone use your filter in a cold climate (I'm on the border of Zone 4-5)? I planned on using the rigid PVC to run into the filter and but connect it to the pump with the corrugated tubing. In winter I would disconnect the corrugated tubing, drain the filter, and use a compressor to blow out the rigid PVC lines so they wouldn't crack. Is there anything I have to do to preserve the beneficial bacteria in the filter? Any advice would be appreciated and I am going to go one winter without fish in it so I can experiment and find what works, for the filter and for keeping a hole in the ice.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The beneficial bacteria dies during the winter and starts growing again in the spring. It usually dies in 5 plus minus hours if there is no water flow which stops the oxygen they need.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
herzausstahl said:
Thanks Keith,
Dr Dave,
Have you had anyone use your filter in a cold climate (I'm on the border of Zone 4-5)? I planned on using the rigid PVC to run into the filter and but connect it to the pump with the corrugated tubing. In winter I would disconnect the corrugated tubing, drain the filter, and use a compressor to blow out the rigid PVC lines so they wouldn't crack. Is there anything I have to do to preserve the beneficial bacteria in the filter? Any advice would be appreciated and I am going to go one winter without fish in it so I can experiment and find what works, for the filter and for keeping a hole in the ice.

Actually quite a few members on this forum are using the doc bio filter that live in freezing zones. A search should turn up some of those. I don't keep track of them myself as I do not sell the filter or plans, this information is provide here and on my web site as a free service.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
herz, A lot of us on the forum only have goldfish. My goldfish are very friendly and fun to watch. It is really neat watching them in the spring because the males will chase the females for hours. It looks like a blur of color rushing around the pond. The latest thing is they line up in a row across the front of the pond when it is feeding time all with their mouths open at the same time! I think a lot of people don't know the full range of goldfishes behaviors because they have never seen them in a natural pond setting.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol cometkeith, the line up!, this is the original five, not a real good picture too much reflection, all the babies now line up too I really enjoy watching them, I can see them from the house looking down on the pond.

DSC01511.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
herzausstahl said:
Ok, that makes sense. I tend to buy the plants in the 1 gallon pots to save $ and let them grow, so anything I plant near the stream where the line would run wouldn't have to be too deep and I could hand dig it with a little spade.

I usually only plant the distressed plants, fifty cents or less, they are gallon pots but you know men lol, he worried.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
herzausstahl said:
taherrmann4,
does your pond ever freeze over, and when it does how do the pipes handle it? I figure with 2 in pipe, if all the water drains into the pond it should leave enough room in the pipe for the rest to freeze/expand without rupturing the pipe, but I wasn't sure about the piping right at the water level in the pond. I would probably bury it about 12" down and expect it to freeze if left full.

Sissy,
What did you use to insulate the pipes underground? I like the idea, because our frost line depends on how much snow we get. I figure this year winter will be my test to see how things go before I even try to add fish. The metal isn't a bad idea either. I chose the Flex PVC figuring I would get the strength and ease of PVC without having to worry as much about the pipes bursting. And blowing out the lines like a sprinkler is an idea I had. How does it work for yours going in and out of the pond, or does yours go through the liner underground (via bulkhead of course)? Like all newbs, still trying to avoid cutting the liner so I don't need to worry about future leaks.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

herzausstahl sorry for getting back to you a little late. Yes my pond does freeze over with the exception of a small hole from my aerator and my small heater I use when it gets really cold. I used a 3" pipe from the pump to a "Y" then from there it goes into 2" pipes one to the waterfall and the other to the creeks. My main line drains back towards the pond, however the one that goes to the creeks actually goes downhill then back up about 2 feet, so I have a "T" at the low spot with a ball valve on it and when I shut down the pond for the winter I open up the valve and let any water drain out. I keep the valve open all winter and just put one of those washer machine metal strainer things over the end to keep out any mice. Now the pipe that goes from the bottom of my skimmer to my pump which is external will have water in at whatever water level the pond is at and I am sure it freezes but I have never had a problem with it breaking. The type of pipe I used is the thicker walled pvc maybe 1/4" thick not sure though. If I wanted to keep water out of it completely I would have to install some sort of cap at the bottom of the skimmer and then suck out the water.

If this does not make sense let me know and I will give it another try.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
CometKeith said:
You will probably need to add a bottom drain if you are thinking about Koi because they get large and produce a lot of waste. If you are thinking about shubunkins or comets then it's not as necessary. Also if you are thinking about putting in plants they will be easier to maintain with just goldfish. It looks like it will be very nice.

I currenty do not have a BD but am looking at adding one b/c I feel that I am sucking way too much volume through my skimmer since my pump is quite powerfull. If I add this it will slow down the volume that I am pulling through it and also assist in keeping the bottom a bit cleaner. I have to clean the bottom twice a year with a pond vac.

Ask a Question