Hi everyone

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks Dr Dave,
I'll do a search and see what I turn up.

Addy,
Thanks, I've dabbled in Bonsai for the last 3 yrs (finally this year, kept trees alive through the winter), and those kind are great ones to experiment with because they usually have interesting features, although here there is only 1 garden store I found that has a discount section, but they sell up to 5 gallon pots in it. Price depends on level of stress.

CometKieth,
I noticed that and after a different post by addy I think I am just gonna go with goldfish.

taherrmann4,
Thanks you answered my plumbing question! I got 2" Flex PVC ordered and was just going to let it drain back into the pond. Hopefully it will react the same way yours does, and it should get a blanket of snow insulation when it gets really cold here. Figure if a piece cracks I can cut it out and glue in a replacement section.
Thanks again everyone, think I will create a progressive build thread in that section when I have time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
herzausstahl I hang out at lowes, here they have unreal price cuts, sometimes on plants that are real healthy but just stopped blooming. They have racks of them in the back of their nursery section.

Usually .50 to 1.00 for 12-20 dollar plants.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
addy1 said:
herzausstahl I hang out at lowes, here they have unreal price cuts, sometimes on plants that are real healthy but just stopped blooming. They have racks of them in the back of their nursery section.

Usually .50 to 1.00 for 12-20 dollar plants.

My wife always checks out the hospital carts also (that is what she calls them).

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
taherrmann4,
Nothing that would officially pass as a bonsai yet, mostly a bunch of Junipers in training phases. Some still in their nursery pots from last year and some in grow boxes. Mostly I learned from my earlier mistakes of trusting the Bonsai books that show you 3yrs plus of training on a tree all in one afternoon. They all died a month later. Then I found some good online information so I stopped overworking my trees.

Addy,
We don't have a Lowes close by just Home Depot and Menards and they only discount their plants around this time, but not majorly until August,Sept,Oct and then at most 50-75% off, still some good deals but not that good. There is a garden center that will go further but their discount depends on the level of die back on the tree/shrub. Got about 6 groundcovers for $5 that normally would be almost that much for one and half survived so their section is always worth a look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Re plants, most of our perennial plants we have either divided up and moved or found when I demolished houses. I actually broke down and bought something recently because I found a coneflower plant with orange flowers at Home Depot. I had only seen them before at the botanical gardens, never at a store.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just saw that orange cone flower at hd also. Maybe I can find one more spot! Next year I will be doing a lot of dividing, or this fall, need to get my plant books out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy for the last several years I would bicycle ride through the Chicago Botanical Gardens. They breed and grow cone flowers in a lot of different colors. I tried to find out if they sold any of them, but they didn't so it was pretty exciting to see the orange ones commercially available.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Aw addy has tons of space to put more plants. Will come a day tho soon for squishing in cuz she's getting lots of bargains at the box stores :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My honey says and where are you putting those? lol. there is always room!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy, I'm sitting here watching Hoarders waiting for your episode to come on someday. Is there such a thing as plant hoarding :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
addy, I'm sitting here watching Hoarders waiting for your episode to come on someday. Is there such a thing as plant hoarding :cool:

utoh, you found out my secret!

Ask a Question