Hi everyone!

Reaction score
I have had a small maybe 1000 gallon pond for 5 years. I have 6 Koi and 4 goldfish in it. I am looking to totally revamp the whole thing next year as my fishies are getting to big I think. I am not a pond guru and don't want to breed and sell Koi. I just want to enjoy my pond. I have not even tested my water for like 4 of my 5 years. I know I should be but it took all the fun out of it because I was just always chasing better numbers. I do water changes a lot and in 5 years have only lost one fish so far. It was dead in the spring after everything thawed. I know my luck will eventually run out though. Are sand filters good to use or not? I would love to just backwash once a week and then add the water back in. In a perfect world that would be a great plan.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome-Daisy-Bug.gif
Dana
Glad you joined. I think sand filters clog up pretty fast but we have a lot of people here who make their own skippy filters. You can check them out in the DIY section of the forum here :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Dana, Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of "opinions" here on what to do but It sounds like you have figured out what works for your pond and you have been successful. When you are ready to build it would be interesting for people to follow it if you post a new thread under pond construction.

Ask a Question