United States

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I was thinking about doing that next year, making it bigger. I read that you have to completely clean out the pond every year and basically start over every year. Is that true?

I think that a basic concept needs to be clarified. An outdoor pond is not an aquarium and. although the basic biochemical processes are the same, the husbandry is different.
As others have stated in the previous posts, the algae growth on all of the submerged surfaces is all important. The algae, bacteria and other micro-organisms that call this home are critical players in a pond achieving any level of equilibrium. This layer of life provides the basic nitrification, it adds most important Oxygen to the water through photosynthesis, and it is food for the higher creatures on the food chain.
Green water is caused by a different type of algae which appears when the exisiting aforementioned layer (periphyton) can not handle the existing nutrient load in a pond. This can be a seasonal occurence (Spring) or, on your case, what is called 'New Pond Syndrome'. Your pond just has not been in place long enough for all of the various organisms, including the periphyton, to fully develop, most notably the zooplankton which feeds on this suspended algae. This will occur with or without the presence of fish, although fish will exacerbate the situation. Water changes are a waste of time because the new water will likely also have a certain level of nutrients that will continue to feed the algae. Algicides should be completely avoided. The 'green water' will clear naturally over time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think that a basic concept needs to be clarified. An outdoor pond is not an aquarium and. although the basic biochemical processes are the same, the husbandry is different.
As others have stated in the previous posts, the algae growth on all of the submerged surfaces is all important. The algae, bacteria and other micro-organisms that call this home are critical players in a pond achieving any level of equilibrium. This layer of life provides the basic nitrification, it adds most important Oxygen to the water through photosynthesis, and it is food for the higher creatures on the food chain.
Green water is caused by a different type of algae which appears when the exisiting aforementioned layer (periphyton) can not handle the existing nutrient load in a pond. This can be a seasonal occurence (Spring) or, on your case, what is called 'New Pond Syndrome'. Your pond just has not been in place long enough for all of the various organisms, including the periphyton, to fully develop, most notably the zooplankton which feeds on this suspended algae. This will occur with or without the presence of fish, although fish will exacerbate the situation. Water changes are a waste of time because the new water will likely also have a certain level of nutrients that will continue to feed the algae. Algicides should be completely avoided. The 'green water' will clear naturally over time.

So I really screwed up wiping off the algae on the inside of the pond. Thank you for your reply. Should I wait til the green water starts to clear before I add the goldfish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for that, very helpful. I haven't lived here long so not sure where the triangle is, Durham county maybe? I am in Statesville, off of 77. I would love to take some fish off your hands, I haven't seen those shubunkins at the local stores. I am going to wait though till the pond is more stable and I have more knowledge under my belt. I think the biggest mistake I made was going to fast.
Yes, Durham! I stopped at Statesville and eat at the local Mexican restaurant everytime we take our son to Asheville. I'll have to do that again in 2 weeks :) I love the houses there, very beautiful old southern style houses.

The only important chemical that you need to use for your pond is de-chlorine :) If the pond is not cycle, using algeacide will make the algae come back even more because the dead algae created more nutrient in the water! Plant more plants, water lilies, lotus, or even submerge plants like hornworth will help with algae. fish loves them too, help keep water cool in hot summer if you get lots of sun.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did the same thing the first time! You put inches in instead of feet. Your depth should be 2 and average at 1.67. :)
DUH!...................Guess I should not use brain after working the bees in 94F heat for four hours.......................

That calculator is set up for all entries to be made in feet. This pond is not an average of 20 feet in depth but rather 1.5+ feet.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So I really screwed up wiping off the algae on the inside of the pond. Thank you for your reply. Should I wait til the green water starts to clear before I add the goldfish?

You can add Goldfish at any time, but no more than two (2) at a time. The bacteria that reduces the Ammonia that is produced by the fish will not start growing until the fish are added, but this bacteria only doubles in size about once every 18-24 hours, so it will take some time for the bacteria to 'catch-up' so to speak. You probably already have a test kit, if not get one. The Ammonia level should be closely monitored during this time. Depending on water temperature, the pond should have an established Nitrogen cycle in about 4 weeks time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just wanted to chime in that my pond is similar in size to yours, and I'm using a submerged DIY bucket filter as well, with pretty reasonable success. I do have to give it a quick flush and cleaning every couple of weeks right now, but it does a fine job of keeping the water pretty clear. If I can see my fish when they are at the bottom (around 28"), then I think that is fine. As long as your pump is pushing through enough water, it should work well.

Like others have said, I think you just got a bit too eager, and most of what you are seeing is completely natural. Start again with a couple of feeder goldfish, and watch the process run its course.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I raised rabbits on the farm and when a boy rabbit wants to breed he is very creative at getting at the female .Reason I like fat fantails they come in all colors and seem to not breed much and that butt wiggle is the cutest thing ever and they are slow and easy to get them to learn to hand feed .They also will get used to swimming into your hand for a belly rub

Ask a Question