Hiding fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Don't worry if you don't see certain fish for a while. I've had this happen with fish as large as 18" koi. One of my favorites was missing for a few days. I thought some predator got him. Then all of a sudden there he was!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm so relieved! And I know there are hiding places, I just couldn't come up with a reason for a fish to hide after being outgoing. But I'll try to relax and wait for it's reappearance! :) .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One spring, before under water cams, I thought every fish was dead and gone, for a few weeks never saw one. Then poof out they come, from where no clue. At that time, winter minimal plants in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found my fish.....in the mud next to the pond, looking like he'd been dead since the minute he went missing several days ago. There wasn't much left, but it wasn't a predator---I could still see the orange on his head to identify him. I think he was suicidal. Why do fish do this?

When I was a kid I had a tropical fish tank and I remember a few fish jumping out repeatedly.

Why??

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think sometimes they are jumping for flying bugs and misjudge. Sorry you lost him.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I found my fish.....in the mud next to the pond, looking like he'd been dead since the minute he went missing several days ago. There wasn't much left, but it wasn't a predator---I could still see the orange on his head to identify him. I think he was suicidal. Why do fish do this?

When I was a kid I had a tropical fish tank and I remember a few fish jumping out repeatedly.

Why??

Awww... that's too bad! Like @j.w said, sometimes they jump to get something and misjudge their landing. Fish will jump if water quality is poor, but if all the other fish seem fine, then I would guess it was just a mistake on his part.

We've kept our waterfall running every year after the first year. Our first spring, we realized that all of our marginal plants died because they were exposed to the cold all winter. Because of the way our pond is set up, turning the waterfall off makes the pond level drop by about 6 inches. We decided the second year to leave it running and see what happens - and proceeded to have one of the coldest winters on record here in Chicago. It was nerve wracking to say the least! But come spring all the fish were fine, the plants all came back and we've never looked back! Like you mentioned - the ice formations on the waterfall are so fun to watch.

A word of caution - not every pond is built to run all winter. You need to make sure you won't form ice dams on your falls that will redirect the water out of the pond. My waterfall is wide and deep, so the ice doesn't cause any issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Good advice, because my waterfall isn't very deep. But I'm not done yet....maybe I'll adjust that!

Do you keep more than one de-icer going?

Thanks for your tips!

Ask a Question