How best to plant Pickerelweed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I running out of room in the bog, so I'd like to plant in a floating basket. The advantage is that it can be submerged in the winter to avoid freezing. (I should do that in zone 5, right?)

What is the best planting material for this? Clay soil like a lily, maybe pea gravel, kitty litter or...???

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The three planting media that you mentioned are all fine. All you are really doing in anchoring the plant. It will get its nutrients from the water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is around 3 inches below water level, freezes solid comes back every year, in kitty litter. I have it in a old plant pot in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was thinking that in the late fall before freeze, I'd cut back the plant, place my large, heavy water lily on top - they're about the same size so it won't capsize.

Wait a minute...thinking...yes...
:facepalm:
I'll just remove the foam. That's a far simpler solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pickerel will grow at is fastest bare root into open water. In a native position the older parts of the rhisome have lashed themselves down over time, the new growing points will be reaching for open water...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to suggest you allow it to naturalize in your pond. Tuck it in an edge or anchor it with some rocks. No pots to sink and fish back out every year.

Ask a Question