How do I kill this Algae!?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I don't really get into the research side of things with my pond. I just go by trial and error. I look to see what other people have tried and has worked for them. For my pond, the location where I live and my fish load, my bog has worked great for me. I think its a pretty safe bet that as long as I have a pond, it will have a bog for the filter. It was a good thread to read tho.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Oh I can see where me saying I hate the sight of gravel led you to understand I did not like looking at it. I should have not put it that way.

I do not mind seeing it. I do not like moving or cleaning it. Getting older here and that back is not what it used to be.

Now this is just my speculation:

Maybe one could take more of a hydroponics like approach. Use mesh of some sort to hold the plants in place. A mass of roots do a find job of filtering and some stuff can decompose on the bottom where it falls.

I have been impressed by what the bare root plants have managed to collect in rather fast moving water. Should be better in a slow moving bog.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I have a friend close by that has "rock crates" on the bottom of her bog. They are sorta like milk crates. Anyways, you put your pipes in how you want them, put the crates in, put rocks on top and then your plants. The crates create a void where sludge will collect. Every year, she opens up the clean out pipe, shop vacs the crud out, and she is done. The roots find there way down to the pit and grow like mad every year.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
That is the sort of thing I was looking for. No idea what a rock crate is. I expect I cam improvise.

Are the rocks there only to hold the crates in place ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just to add my bit of bog experience;

I came across a setup online that used layers of rocks, beginning with large 4-6" rocks(bottom layer), then 2" stones, and finally pea gravel (top layer). I have my pipe running down into the bottom of the bog (and into 4", slotted corrugated drain piping) so that means the water has to travel up through all the rocks until it overflows back into the pond. The plants in the bog are doing well and so far, I would agree it makes a very good filter. I do have a cleanout but haven't used it yet as the bog is only going on its third year. So if you can't find crates, just use larger rocks to keep the pipe from being crushed and allowing more open space at the bottom of the bog.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Instead of filling a bog with gravel, just run water through it and fill it with water hyacinths. Voila! A vegetative filter! No digging through gravel, and in the fall you just net out the bits and pieces and toss them on the compost pile.
John

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
HARO said:
Instead of filling a bog with gravel, just run water through it and fill it with water hyacinths. Voila! A vegetative filter! No digging through gravel, and in the fall you just net out the bits and pieces and toss them on the compost pile.
John
Which I think is more where I will be going. But I will not restrict it to floating plants. Plants will be potted with pots modified so the roots can get out.

Reaction score
If Any Of You Are Following......

Just wanted to post an update on the pond!
It's starting to look so much nicer now than it was and the water is really clearing up...especially since I vacuumed it out the last time.

Bad News: My fish are missing....ugg.

I'm open to any and all ideas!

Wayne, SC

[video=youtube;5G0M0OsDXQY]

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your pond looks very nice and you are making some nice improvements as you go.

First before you get any new fish I would think you need to figure out if you can what happened to your fish. When was the last time you saw them? Do you have heron or similar birds that might visit or raccoons, snakes etc? Any idea's? You might need a net to keep the new ones safe.
Hens and chicks are what most call those little plants but the scientific name is Sempervivum tectorum

Found this interesting bit of info on the net:

Sun and Soil Requirements for Hens and Chicks:
Grow hens and chicks plants in full sun to partial shade and in well-drained soil. In the South, hens and chicks can profit from partial shade; but the requirement for well-drained soil is a must in any zone!

Care for Hens and Chicks:
The "hens" will die after flowering, but by that time they will have produced numerous "chicks" or "chickens" to take their place. To propagate, simply split off the chickens from the parent plant and transplant them. Providing contact with the soil should be sufficient for transplanting, since hens and chicks root readily.

Origin of the Latin Name for Hens and Chicks:

While the origin of the common names, "hens and chicks" or "hens and chickens" is apparent from the foregoing, the reader may be curious about the origin of the plant's Latin name, Sempervivum tectorum.
The word for the genus, Sempervivum, is Latin for "always live," i.e., evergreen. So far, so good. But when you discover that the word for the species, tectorum, means "on roofs" in Latin, you may start scratching your head. What does this evergreen perennial have to do with roofs?
Well, it turns out that hens and chicks, which are indigenous to Europe, were traditionally planted in thatched roofs. European folklore held that they were supposed to provide protection against lightning-induced fires, due to the plants' association with two gods of lightning: Thor and Zeus (Jupiter). In this case, folklore is justified, in the sense that succulents such as hens and chicks are fire-resistant and would perhaps slow down the spread of fire through thatch.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some real neat looking hens and chicks, they are just in a pot with sandy peat moss soil. Survived the winter, looking good.

Reaction score
j.w said:
Your pond looks very nice and you are making some nice improvements as you go.

First before you get any new fish I would think you need to figure out if you can what happened to your fish. When was the last time you saw them? Do you have heron or similar birds that might visit or raccoons, snakes etc? Any idea's? You might need a net to keep the new ones safe.
Hens and chicks are what most call those little plants but the scientific name is Sempervivum tectorum

Found this interesting bit of info on the net:
Sun and Soil Requirements for Hens and Chicks:
Grow hens and chicks plants in full sun to partial shade and in well-drained soil. In the South, hens and chicks can profit from partial shade; but the requirement for well-drained soil is a must in any zone!
Care for Hens and Chicks:
The "hens" will die after flowering, but by that time they will have produced numerous "chicks" or "chickens" to take their place. To propagate, simply split off the chickens from the parent plant and transplant them. Providing contact with the soil should be sufficient for transplanting, since hens and chicks root readily.
Origin of the Latin Name for Hens and Chicks:

While the origin of the common names, "hens and chicks" or "hens and chickens" is apparent from the foregoing, the reader may be curious about the origin of the plant's Latin name, Sempervivum tectorum.
The word for the genus, Sempervivum, is Latin for "always live," i.e., evergreen. So far, so good. But when you discover that the word for the species, tectorum, means "on roofs" in Latin, you may start scratching your head. What does this evergreen perennial have to do with roofs?
Well, it turns out that hens and chicks, which are indigenous to Europe, were traditionally planted in thatched roofs. European folklore held that they were supposed to provide protection against lightning-induced fires, due to the plants' association with two gods of lightning: Thor and Zeus (Jupiter). In this case, folklore is justified, in the sense that succulents such as hens and chicks are fire-resistant and would perhaps slow down the spread of fire through thatch.

Thanks for watching and the compliment on the pond!
As far as what's getting them, I don't know at all.
I haven't seen anything hanging out around the yard or in the tree.
If you watch this video (below), you can hear a sound that's coming from the tree in the front and everybody seems to think that it's a tree frog but I can't find one that sounds like this...
We live in a neighborhood and I've never seen coon or really any other type of wildlife rooting around here causing an issue...

Click The Link and jump to 14min and 23sec -

Solutions:
Cover the pond (many different ways).
Put up an owl in the tree and/or on the house roof.
More plants to provide cover.
More things for the fish to swim under for cover.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do, I'm open to all ideas??

Oh, and thank you for the breakdown on the Hens and Chicks!

Cheers,

Wayne, SC

addy1 said:
I have some real neat looking hens and chicks, they are just in a pot with sandy peat moss soil. Survived the winter, looking good.
Yeah, I've always been fascinated with these little guys since I was little and my Mom had them all over the place back in Indiana. Her's usually survived the winter too!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do like others do put string back and forth across the pond water .Fishing line heavy duty should work .It can be close to the ground and you can pound rebar into the ground and tie it to that less intrusive and may work .

Reaction score
sissy said:
do like others do put string back and forth across the pond water .Fishing line heavy duty should work .It can be close to the ground and you can pound rebar into the ground and tie it to that less intrusive and may work .
Hey girl, I've seen that before but I didn't know what it was! :)
So, how far apart should I put it?
I've seen so many variations that I'm not sure really what works.
Oh, if there is really good cover in some areas of the pond, would I need to put up fishing line there?

Thanks in advance, Wayne, SC

Ask a Question