How do I make the water clear??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks,

Does it need to be treated before it goes into the tank? Or can I put it in after??

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-7_8-40-27.gif
@Russell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a plastic basket with holes in, put the water pump inside it and covered the basket in a layer off quilt padding.

This will pump a litre every 20 seconds so the 600 litres in the tank every 20 minutes.

I have left it on for 8 hours today till the battery went flat and have had no noticeable improvement in the tank. The filter was completely black and covered in crud, I washed the filter off every hour or so and then put it back in again.

Any other ideas??

Reaction score
The amount of crud you are getting gives you a clue to just how far gone the water quality is. If it were me I'd consider completely starting over from scratch. I think I would find someplace to put the fish, like several big buckets or maybe a cheap kid's blow up swimming pool. Then I'd completely drain the current pond out, clean everything in it, and then refill with water and put the filter on. Wait a couple days for any chlorine to dissipate, and then re-introduce your fish. It might seem like a lot to do, but considering what you're already doing with no noticeable results, drastic action may be your last and best option.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think your right this is possibly the only option, finding the fish will be a task in its self tho ha ha

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a 100litre tank and pumped some water out of the main tank into it and netted as many fish out as we could, I’d say there were 50+

Started to empty the tank but gonna do a bit at a time, so the soil doesn’t get to boggy.

What is the water treatment called that I can use along side tap water? And any recommendations on some kind of detergent to properly clean the main tank??

Thanks again

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dechlorinator (different brands, so can’t say what you have access to there). Some cities use chloramines also, to treat their water, so be sure whatever you get does both.

No detergents, just a stiff brush and elbow grease!

Reaction score
I wouldn't use any detergent at all. Any rough pad used for cleaning pots and pans in the kitchen should do the job. If you wait a few days before putting the fish back in you don't need any water treatments. You really need to not put all those 50 fish back in. That is way too many and you'll end up with the same problem you have now. I wouldn't put anymore than ten back in and even that could be too many when they grow bigger. Carp are a very dirty fish and without good 24/7 filtration running they can foul up the water very quickly. Wishing you all the best!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m thinking the fish may infact be roach not carp as they are still tiny the biggest one netted out was no bigger than 2cm and they are all over a year old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There is no electric to the tank so I have rigged up a solar panel to a pump with 2 air stones that are on 24/7.

EVERYONE is missing this fact.^^

the pumps etc are not running 24/7 there in itself is a starting point to fix the water.

Plants as other have said will help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, there is no permenant power supply or anyway to get one to the tank, hence using a solar panel! Although this will obviously only work on very low output 12v pumps without draining the battery almost instantly.

Any links to a 24hour pump that can be run without electricity would be great, although I don’t think they exist!!!

Ask a Question