How much is this REALLY going to cost ?

Reaction score
cr8tivguy said:
My pond is 1500 gallons. I've kept pretty good records of the build cost. Right now, I'm at $1200 (including fish). I bought everything online except the fish and the plants.

Looking back I would have done things differently:
1- Increase the size to 3,000 gallons
2- Add a bottom drain
3- Plumb all the filtration equipment to my shed and back to the pond
4- Triple the size of my bog
5- Made it 5 feet deep
6- Relocate it out in the middle of the yard so it can be seen better from the house

That being said, I love my pond and my fish. It's perfect for the space I have. However, my next home WILL HAVE a huge Koi pond complete with the best filtration system I can muster.

If you have the room I would go bigger. It seems so much easier to do it now rather than a year or two from now when you have an established pond and fish you have to temporarily relocate during the renovation.
Thanks Tim. Too late for me. I'm now 70% the way through my build. I think the one area I'm good with is the Bottom Drain. I installed it, and I'm running that line along with the skimmer line to a Cetus Sieve, then to a TPR and waterfall with a sand and gravel filter.

It's all really overkill for my little 1200 gallon pond (3.5 feet deep), but I was told to overkill the filtration.

Size for me is limited for aesthetic reasons and space in my small backyard. I'm really hoping that I don't get the "I need a bigger pond" syndrom, but it's hard to predict the future. I'm hoping my pond becomes an element in my backyard, not THE backyard.

Reaction score
by the way - I might leave more liner all the way around (just roll it up around the edges), so if I really want bigger, and can build the pond up a couple blocks higher in the future...

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I'm 6 weeks in with my new pond and I already have a deep desire for a larger pond. Unfortunately, I'm space-challenged in my back yard as well. So, now I'm starting to think about building a new home and installing a pond along with the build. It's just dreaming right now. But... DANG it would be so cool to have a huge pond .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It's all really overkill for my little 1200 gallon pond (3.5 feet deep), but I was told to overkill the filtration.

Size for me is limited for aesthetic reasons and space in my small backyard. I'm really hoping that I don't get the "I need a bigger pond" syndrom, but it's hard to predict the future. I'm hoping my pond becomes an element in my backyard, not THE backyard.
When one gets to the point where they would rather have more pond there is a shift in thinking or perspective. It will seem a good thing. It will be the right thing.

Reaction score
bean6924 said:
Thanks Tim. Too late for me. I'm now 70% the way through my build. I think the one area I'm good with is the Bottom Drain. I installed it, and I'm running that line along with the skimmer line to a Cetus Sieve, then to a TPR and waterfall with a sand and gravel filter.

Sounds like you are on the right track. How about posting some pictures.

As far as pond size, it's all relative. A 500 gal. pond is "big" relative to most aquariums, and a 1000 gal pond would be huge.
The depth of the pond is an important factor, a 1200 gal pond with a depth of 3.5 ft is better choice than a 3000 gal pond that is only 16" deep. With that in mind, it's hard to get "small" ponds very deep without making them look like a well, and if you follow the recommendation to make your pond at least 3 ft deep you kind of have to go at least 1000 gallons. I would consider anything much over 1000 gal in the "big" pond category, and anything under 1000 gal in the "small" pond category. So, I think you can safely say that you have a medium size pond. lol

Reaction score
Mucky_Waters said:
Sounds like you are on the right track. How about posting some pictures.

As far as pond size, it's all relative. A 500 gal. pond is "big" relative to most aquariums, and a 1000 gal pond would be huge.
The depth of the pond is an important factor, a 1200 gal pond with a depth of 3.5 ft is better choice than a 3000 gal pond that is only 16" deep. With that in mind, it's hard to get "small" ponds very deep without making them look like a well, and if you follow the recommendation to make your pond at least 3 ft deep you kind of have to go at least 1000 gallons. I would consider anything much over 1000 gal in the "big" pond category, and anything under 1000 gal in the "small" pond category. So, I think you can safely say that you have a medium size pond. lol
Thanks. The real struggle is this whole "real koi pond" vs. "goldfish pond with a couple of koi" thing. It's really amazing how many differing opinions there are out there. And more, how militant some koi keepers can be about their size (minimum 5000 gallons), depth (ideally 5 feet), filtration ($5000-$10000), no rocks, no goldfish, no plants, etc. etc.

It's really hard to tell whether you'll become that committed to koi keeping as a newbie building a backyard pond.

I've settled on 1000 gallons with a couple of koi and goldfish, and great filtration. I'm going to leave extra liner around all the edges for a potential future expansion to add gallons if I turn into a koi junky (which, given my personality is VERY likely). This way, it will be safer and smaller (I have a young child at home), but something I can easily expand as he gets older.

Reaction score
bean6924 said:
Thanks. The real struggle is this whole "real koi pond" vs. "goldfish pond with a couple of koi" thing. It's really amazing how many differing opinions there are out there. And more, how militant some koi keepers can be about their size (minimum 5000 gallons), depth (ideally 5 feet), filtration ($5000-$10000), no rocks, no goldfish, no plants, etc. etc.

It's really hard to tell whether you'll become that committed to koi keeping as a newbie building a backyard pond.

I've settled on 1000 gallons with a couple of koi and goldfish, and great filtration. I'm going to leave extra liner around all the edges for a potential future expansion to add gallons if I turn into a koi junky (which, given my personality is VERY likely). This way, it will be safer and smaller (I have a young child at home), but something I can easily expand as he gets older.
And then you have me...a new owner of a Koi pond (no plants, no rocks, super deep, crazy filtration system) trying to make it look more like a garden pond without disturbing the pretty Koi who were here before I was and who seem to think any plant I introduce is a new snack. :cheerful:

It's all I can do to catch up on all that I need to learn in order to keep these critters alive. Looking for a happy medium, I guess.

I think you'll love the koi/goldfish combination. The former owner actually added two shibunkin and two goldfish and they are fun to watch...just not as friendly as the big koi in my pond.

In my short time as a pond keeper, I have learned that it is ALL about the filtration system. Go WAY overboard on that and you won't regret it.

Reaction score
sewsheknits said:
And then you have me...a new owner of a Koi pond (no plants, no rocks, super deep, crazy filtration system) trying to make it look more like a garden pond without disturbing the pretty Koi who were here before I was and who seem to think any plant I introduce is a new snack. :cheerful:

It's all I can do to catch up on all that I need to learn in order to keep these critters alive. Looking for a happy medium, I guess.

I think you'll love the koi/goldfish combination. The former owner actually added two shibunkin and two goldfish and they are fun to watch...just not as friendly as the big koi in my pond.

In my short time as a pond keeper, I have learned that it is ALL about the filtration system. Go WAY overboard on that and you won't regret it.
thanks for the encouragement. I'm installing a gravity fed cetus sieve, so hopefully that will work well. we'll see. it's seems to be a question on how big koi will get, so that's why I'm leaving extra liner around the edges to build up if i develop a bunch of jumbos in a few years. My only worry is having to re-install the skimmer and do some liner patching for that...

Any problems with the goldfish over breeding?

Reaction score
bean6924 said:
thanks for the encouragement. I'm installing a gravity fed cetus sieve, so hopefully that will work well. we'll see. it's seems to be a question on how big koi will get, so that's why I'm leaving extra liner around the edges to build up if i develop a bunch of jumbos in a few years. My only worry is having to re-install the skimmer and do some liner patching for that...

Any problems with the goldfish over breeding?
I've only owned this pond for three weeks. I'm not sure how the goldfish behave but I'd imagine that the koi would eat any/all eggs or baby goldies if they had a chance. They're very big koi, though. A more experienced pond owner might be able to tell you more about that.

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I have both Koi and comets in my pond. Granted they haven't been in there very long. I find that the comets are really friendly and the koi are catching on. I like the varied shapes and colors too. When the Koi get bigger, I'm sure I'll have to revisit my filtration system, but it's built in such a way I can add on easily. I also bought a really good pond vacuum to help with solids at the bottom (no bottom drain).

I do wish my pond was 5000 gallons. But the reality is I don't have the space in this yard for one that big. Maybe someday soon (Fingers crossed).

I've read on here all about how cheaply ponds can be built and equipped. If you have the time and diligence to search, I bet you can do one inexpensively. It will take some creativity and ingenuity, but I'm sure you can handle it.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
sewsheknits said:
I've only owned this pond for three weeks. I'm not sure how the goldfish behave but I'd imagine that the koi would eat any/all eggs or baby goldies if they had a chance. They're very big koi, though. A more experienced pond owner might be able to tell you more about that.
Goldfish are much more likely to eat fry from what I have seen.

Ask a Question