how to build a pond and waterfall

Reaction score
hi all from ireland,here is what i was doing for the last couple of days :razz: littlepond :razz:

Hey! That is looking very swell! There is a cabin out here at my river escape that is or was for sale. They have a fireplace very similar to what you are building here. I saw the inside of their cabin many years ago and I was very impressed at the look of the fireplace, someone spent a lot of time putting it together, but the cabin got flooded and the wooden part of the structure is really comprimised (getting rotten from the water damage), but the fireplace still stands. It was quite beautiful. They used white and red and pink granite for the firebox and mantle. At sometime, someone put a lot of effort into it, I am just sorry to say that it may be going to waste now. If it (the cabin itself) were in a nicer location, I would buy it just to preserve the fireplace alone. But, I have too many other irons in the fire to afford such a project when I already have so many others. No matter how deeply I feel about it's nostalgia, I cannot afford to do anything about it. Sure wish I could. Somebody built it with their own hands and a lot of love and thought and experience. Maybe I can convince the new owners to take that much into consideration when they rebuild and refurbish the cabin.

Gordy

Reaction score
hi all from ireland,here is what i was doing for the last couple of days :razz: littlepond :razz:

Hey! That is looking very swell! There is a cabin out here at my river escape that is or was for sale. They have a fireplace very similar to what you are building here. I saw the inside of their cabin many years ago and I was very impressed at the look of the fireplace, someone spent a lot of time putting it together, but the cabin got flooded and the wooden part of the structure is really comprimised (getting rotten from the water damage), but the fireplace still stands. It was quite beautiful. They used white and red and pink granite for the firebox and mantle. At sometime, someone put a lot of effort into it, I am just sorry to say that it may be going to waste now. If it (the cabin itself) were in a nicer location, I would buy it just to preserve the fireplace alone. But, I have too many other irons in the fire to afford such a project when I already have so many others. No matter how deeply I feel about it's nostalgia, I cannot afford to do anything about it. Sure wish I could. Somebody built it with their own hands and a lot of love and thought and experience. Maybe I can convince the new owners to take that much into consideration when they rebuild and refurbish the cabin.

Gordy

Reaction score
hi all.the fire place open is 2 ft wide because the blocklayers built it with a 10 in flue liner ,so i had to build it that size.sad story about the old log cabin,when they are gone you lose a great part of history in the local area :razz: littlepond :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have so many old fashioned log cabins here abandoned it is sad .You can see them just standing proudly in the woods ,brush and weeds growing up around them .I even found a slaves grave at one of the properties and realized it was for what they considered evil slaves ,meaning I guess witch craft .I won't even take a pic of them for fear of bring or releasing the evil .Don't really believe in it but not taking any chances .The saying on a stone said it all evil treads with a heavy foot here .that scared me

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can get some but they are not very clear as they are back in the woods .I live in a very rural area and the last pics I thought I got them but when I downloaded the pics you could just barely see them .But going out on a pic taking fun day sunday so will try to see if I can get better pics .Most of these places are farther back in the woods and was waiting for the leaves to fall so I can see them better .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well the best I could get .believe it or not the door sill works and you can tell they are hand forged and the fire place is still intact inside and there is a pot hanging over it I couldn't get good pics of the inside as it was to dark and I did not bring a flashlight .No holes in the roof either

Attachments

• log house 008.JPG
    log house 008.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 197
  • log house 006.JPG
    log house 006.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 244
  • log house 006.JPG
    log house 006.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 244
  • log house 009.JPG
    log house 009.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 183

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I fell off the porch also .I crawled across it as I was not to sure how solid it was but did not want to risk loosing my camera darn door hit me in the head too LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is owned by the lumber mill and it is one house I have not been down too .You have to go way down in a ditch and then up a hill and the porch is at least 2 feet off the ground and I am height deprived at only 5 ft. 2 inches tall .I cannot believe the chimney is intact and the shutters on the windows still work

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look at the posts on the porch and no rot just dry wood .The door was mostly closed when I went up to it as crawling is not easy on rough wood and also i was worried about snakes too .The place was in great shape considering

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh thanks so much :LOL: :LOL: :grumble: .I want to go back and take a flashlight but gosh it is a hike .I want to get a better look at what looks like an outhouse but not sure .I do carry the note with me from the lumber company in case someone calls the cops so I can prove I have permission .You should see the tabacco barn on the property ,they used them to dry the tabacco.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat sissy, go back, we will watch out for you, well if you take a live net feed with you...............we will

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh yeh and I'm sure you will be rolling on the floor laughing too .There are still about 7 houses out there I have not looked at yet ,but now with the leaves mostly down easier to get to them .Lets see first I fell down the hill then up the hill and then off the porch .I could just see everyone on here wetting there pants now .You will need adult diapers and wee wee pads :LOL: :LOL:

Ask a Question