How to clean leaves & bottom of Pond?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Activated charcoal does remove chlorine but how long it will last depends on how much chlorine is in the water, how much water you use, and how much carbon you have.

Reaction score
So you still have to do continuous testing? Not seeing the upside.

Does chlorine removal stop suddenly like over a day or two? Or does it slowly degrade over weeks so testing once a week or whatever might predict a problem?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
We all have a built in chlorine detector called a nose.

As soon as the chlorine combines with the pond water it oxidizes the first organic thing it come into contact with. Algae, plant cells, bacteria etc. So the pond has a 'built in' capacity to neutralize chlorine. If you have a pond that is cleaner then most swimming pools this capacity is much lower then a more natural pond.

Given that you have been blessed with a nose that works if you can't smell the chlorine it should be good for a partial water change. Just make sure the fish do not stick their nose in the hose and commit hara-kiri

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Waterbug said:
So you still have to do continuous testing? Not seeing the upside.

Does chlorine removal stop suddenly like over a day or two? Or does it slowly degrade over weeks so testing once a week or whatever might predict a problem?
I have 19 fish in my Pond so I would not want to take a single Risk. if unsure I would rather lower the water and transfer all 19 fish to a small pond I have on my Deck.

THEN get the water back situated in my large 6 foot deep Pond and then bring the fish back over. thoughts?

Reaction score
shanezam203 said:
THEN get the water back situated in my large 6 foot deep Pond and then bring the fish back over. thoughts?
Sorry, I haven't really been following the thread. The activated charcoal just caught my interest. I've read a few times where people plan to use it in ponds but I never hear anything beyond that. I've read of it's use in aquariums for a long time, although it seems less popular in the past 20 years as far as long term use. Never understood how it could be scaled to a medium to large pond, or if scaled, how it would perform.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Waterbug said:
Sorry, I haven't really been following the thread. The activated charcoal just caught my interest. I've read a few times where people plan to use it in ponds but I never hear anything beyond that. I've read of it's use in aquariums for a long time, although it seems less popular in the past 20 years as far as long term use. Never understood how it could be scaled to a medium to large pond, or if scaled, how it would perform.
I think that in this thread we are talking about using a charcoal cartridge on the water tap to remove chlorine when adding water to a pond. Not as part of the filter system unless that was talked about earlier and I have spaced it out.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Waterbug said:
Just an FYI, but where I've used it to remove "tannins" [cola-colored water] it has been very effective. Have to use several pounds of it, though.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've used it to remove colour from water, and it IS effective, but from my aquarium days I seem to remember reading that activated carbon had a very limited life, since it clogged quckly. I believe the effectiveness in aquarium use was in the neighbourhood of three or four days. Yes, it can be regenerated, but who wants to place ten pounds of AC on a cookie tray and bake it in the oven every four days? I'm assuming that chlorine atoms would adhere to AC the same way the tannins do. When I get some time, I'll have to Google this!
John

Reaction score
That's kind of what I'd always read, good for tannin removal. I always though water change was cheaper and faster.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Installed my UV filter, I am really excited to see if this works as well as the reviews.

It is a HUGE unit, also I put in a bag of Barley. anyone else us UV light and Barley?

2013051117_26_43-vi.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, 6 feet deep! When I clean the bottom of my pond I don chest waders and heavy gloves that go to my shoulders. I have a pond-only mop and large sponge. I climb in and physically remove as much muck as possible. After I get the big debris, I use a pool vacuum that attaches to my pump. Of course my pond is only 18 inches deep. Without draining at least 3 feet of water, I don't know how you'd clean it in this way without scuba gear! This spring I added black nylon netting to keep the leaves and big stuff out. Under the netting I have a skimmer that gets the stuff that falls through the netting.

Ask a Question