Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
read this jw

http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0012.html

How Much to Apply

The amount of straw to apply is based on pond surface area rather than volume (for calculation tips, see Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet A-2-98, Pond Measurements). It is generally recommended that about 0.025 pounds of straw be used for every square yard of pond surface area. In a small ornamental pond of four square yards (about 100 square feet), only 0.01 pounds is needed. In a one-acre pond, the amount required would be about 107 pounds of straw or 2-3 standard bales. In a pond with a history of algae problems, a higher initial amount of 225 pounds per surface acre may be warranted.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
10 x 10 is 100 just get your measurements and multiple them. Sort of easy if your pond is square i.e. not uneven sides.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
But the calculations are for square yards! So, 9 square feet is only 1 square yard. Keep that in mind. That's not much needed for a 100 sq foot pond! I'd say what you were using last year is probably about right, JW. Nice to have something to use to calculate proper amount, though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So mine is appx. 10 x 20 which is 200 right? Well there ya go. Thanks again addy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That thing above says 0.01 pound for 100 square feet! That means 0.02 for your 200 square feet. How much barley straw makes up 0.02#? A handful? Geesh! I would say pack in as much as you can in your bag and hang it in there. I doubt you will be putting in too much, but not positive! I think the study is more for large farm ponds, where pounds are actually needed, and they broke it down for our smaller backyard fish ponds, but surely you need more than 2/100th of a pound! LOL Course, it says if you have a history of algae problems, you can double that .... 4/100th of a pound. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Maybe I'm not figuring it right, maybe I need to go back to school for math ....

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How much should be used? If used proactively, 1/2 pound bale we currently offer could treat a pond up to about 1000 gallons. In ponds with a history of problems, two or three times that amount may be required at first, and even ten times that concentration could be used.

Barley straw is most effective in shallow (1 m) water with sunlight and good circulation. Clear water needs less straw, but with turbid, muddy water and less sunlight, more straw is required. Low temperatures are less effective. Water surface area is used to calculate dosage. In still water ponds, the minimum quantity of straw needed to reduce algae is 2.5 grams (.09 oz) of straw per square meter of water surface. In water with a severe algae problem, high first treatments up to 50 grams (1.8 oz) per square meter may be required. Start with small quantities and monitor effects. Barley straw may be prestarted in nonalgae problem areas with good oxygenated water flows.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Could you put the barley in the bog? All this talk of string algae is kind of making me nervous. This being our first at everything, I would much rather be proactive about things.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I still don't get how much I should put in but I think I'll just throw a small bag like I have been doing and call it good. All those numbers are making me dizzy,lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could you put the barley in the bog? All this talk of string algae is kind of making me nervous. This being our first at everything, I would much rather be proactive about things.

My bog, which is big, kept string algae out of my pond

I still don't get how much I should put in but I think I'll just throw a small bag like I have been doing and call it good. All those numbers are making me dizzy,lol!

Take a look at this jw, they are selling it, but a decent write up and easy to read

How much straw do I need?
Water garden owners: 1 lb. per thousand gallons

Pond and lake owners: 225 lbs. per surface acre
*Because algae normally grows near the surface, the doseage rate is calculated by surface area.

http://www.dougsbarleystraw.com/faq.html

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can buy barley straw at tractor supply and you can also get it in liquid gallon bottles .They use it on farm ponds and tends to be darker and stronger than the kind you buy at pond supply stores .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, now that makes sense to me! Using way more in a small pond makes far more sense than the other article, which seemed to be geared towards large farm ponds. And, 1# of straw will be quite a lot, but at least a good amount, rather than about an ounce. LOL I thinnk I will try to find a straw little bale like I got 2 years ago. They are compact, small, but way more expensive, so if I can find a regular sized bale I would prefer to buy that as I have room to store it and use it from the bale is easier. But, I don't think I've ever seen barley straw bales. We have wheat straw bales around here, never even heard of barley til this forum. Maybe I should grow my own since half of my garden got tilled in last year, I didn't need it!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes now that gives me the answer straight out addy and thanks again. I have 2500gal pond so can put in 2&1/2 pounds of the barley...............got it!

Ask a Question