sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
has anyone see the barley they sell in a bag at tractor supply .I saw it online but have not found it in the store again ,my neighbor who has the swimming pool pond swears by it .I saw it online .I have bought the liquid there but that was for the other house and not sure since it says concentrated on the bottle and only shows the amount for larger ponds .Southern states carries it too .Makes me wonder about it .I guess in the winter they seem to not keep the bags in stock as much .I have so far checked 3 tractor supply stores for it .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw it last summer just two ounce bags, nothing bigger

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can't understand why the liquid they sell is stronger and yet the bag stuff is such a small amount and it says in there description it is for large ponds .Gosh how many bags would you have to buy for a large pond .I get it from a local farmer here but he does not like the slimy mess he gets with the bales so he uses the liquid ,kinda strange to me .He tells me the liquid works better than the bales and it is to much of a process to make the liquid himself .He does have a large farm with lots of cattle and it is just Marty and his girlfriend who run the farm with only a few farm hands to help a little .

Reaction score
There's not much harm adding barley to your pond, but it is worth pointing out a bit more about these studies. At least I find it interesting.

The paper that started this is Newman, Barrett 1993. They did 8 field tests in ponds. Owners of the ponds rated on a scale of 0 = no control to 9 = no algal growth. These were untrained dudes as far as I could tell, certain no measurements, just gut feeling. The paper points this out...in all caps "THERE HAS BEEN NO INDEPENDENT ASSESSMENT OF THE SCORES GIVEN". And the results of what the owners (actually, the paper only said 8 ponds, could have been just one or two owners) saw as 6.75.

That was the best possible case, maybe 50 or 60% reduced growth, whatever that means. They certainly still had lots of algae.

As the Ohio Extension fact sheet said, there has been several studies in the US that tried to duplicate what the Newman paper saw. None saw results as good as Newman stated. And as Carole Lembi of Purdue said,

Laboratory studies conducted by English researchers suggest that barley will not control the growth of all species of algae. In fact, some of the studies are contradictory, claiming that certain types of algae are susceptible while other studies claim that those algae are not susceptible.

Newman published another paper, I think in 1999, which was a bit defensive imo, in which he proposed the theory that barley produced hydrogen peroxide. This was only a theory, he presented only as a theory...no testing at all. He was just trying to comes up with some thinking as to why barley would affect algae growth.

That 1999 paper was all people selling barley....for huge markups...needed. Everyone of them cite this untested theory as fact. And I've never seen any of them link to the actual paper. And of course people in water garden forums are only too happy to parrot the lie. I mean why not? Isn't like anyone is actually going to check.

My whole barley rant.

Reaction score
Floating empty Coke cans in a pond will kill string algae. The red color of the can reflects the blue spectrum of light required for the initial vegetative stage which algae need to grow. Tie a string to the tab and a weight to the other end of the string. The length of the string has to the same as the pond depth where the can is located. Fill the can 3/4 full of water and then tip over in the pond so 1/4 of the can remains full of air. Space the cans 12" to 16" apart in the pond, in a grid pattern.

Now all I need is a few readers to believe this, try it, or say they tried it, and post that it works.

Anyone interested in actual solutions?

For streams and waterfalls...put the pump on a timer. If you're at work all day and no one is home make sure the pump is off. Off all night. Existing string algae will probably stay around, but only getting water for a few hours a day... that will put the hurt on it. Or clean it off. It'll have a really hard time coming back when the water only runs for a few hours. You will never have any string algae in a stream or waterfall. Of course the stream has to be built to drain completely. But even if not, greatly reduced growth.

If you think waterfalls and streams are needed for O2 buy an air pump and have the timer turn it on when the water pump is off. Air pumps are in the $40-70 range and consume about 5 watts. Timers are about $15 for simple and about $150 for way cool remote multi-outlet programmable deals. Air pumps are way better at putting O2 into the pond. You'll also save about $50 in electric each year so pay back is about one year. Plus you'll save wear on your pump...the cash is just rolling in.

Waterfalls and streams are great filters so you'd lose that. Build a Trickle filter. Just a pile of rocks with water running over it. Does same thing as waterfalls or stream just in a smaller footprint. Most people don't mind string algae on it. Or the filter can be hidden. And besides, string algae may kill green water algae, so imo control is better than elimination. A bog filter would be another option.

Inside the pond...Manual removal. The biggest issue here for me were pots of plants. Just impossible. In an empty pond manual removal can be really fast, like 10 minutes once a year. I had the pots in the pond once upon a time. The string algae made it an ugly mess. My solution was to move marginals out of the pond. Never had string algae in the plants again. All these plants do better outside and at or a bit above the waterline.

Only lilies have to be in the pond. Worst case, cut off the leaves and remove the algae. The leaves will be back shortly. But I can't remember having a problem with string algae in the lilies.
WidePlantShelf2.jpg

Once the pots are removed...Most people don't mind string algae in the bottom of the pond. But it can fill a pond. I take 2 sticks of wood, maybe 1.5" square and 4 or 5' long. Nail them together side by side, a single nail right in the middle. Now they can open and close like giant salad thongs. And we have the salad. Open them a bit and plunge into the string algae. Close and start rotating the sticks, like spaghetti on a fork. Depending on the species every bit of string algae will wrap around that ball, an entire pond's worth. Pretty impressive, very satisfying, but can be heavy to get out of the water. I'd forget about composting string algae...really slow to decompose, and you have that huge ball. But you can try.

Some species do attach to liner and rocks, but these aren't the long growing kind. These should be loved.

No algae allowed at all... You're talking about serious chemicals like potassium permanganate, used on a regular basis.

Easiest, almost no effort, no chemicals (in the pond)... Wine. If you still care about the algae increase dose.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats what I found algae on the lilies and I never had it before .I only got the lilies this past summer so I'm thinking they are causing a real problem .So today I am going to remove them and put them in a barrel .I only have the algae on each one of the lily plants and pots and the other plants half out of the water have no algae .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So far no algae, most likely it will be like last year, the bog eats up the algae nutrients. The lilies are starting to grow some nice leaves.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, the bag of kitty litter is out of the filter! The algae got so bad the filter overflowed and almost emptied the pond so cleaning it out with the toilet brush and trying to get my 3 55gal. barrel filter system running. Not sure why I suddenly have string algae as I have never had it before but there are some changes to the pond. No large koi, biggest is about 10" and then 24 5-6" koi. There is a bog but no water running thru it as there is a leak between the bog and pond. I think the main reason is the Rock on a Roll marterial that we have around the edges that hangs into the water. Looks and feels just like rock so??? Weather isn't helping. 1" snow on Sunday and overnight temp of 13 on Monday and today 70!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't have the string algae in my pond but I have it inside the floating rings w/ the fiberglass screen on the bottom. Does it hurt to leave the string algae in there? I really don't mind if it just stays in there if it won't hurt anything.And if I put plants in the rings who will win between the plants(maybe some Anacharis,duckweed) and the algae? I have water running from a pump in the pond through a hose into the ring wondering what that will do. Maybe could try putting some kitty litter actually in the ring or some barley to keep it away if not good for pond in ring. Experiments ahead and will keep ya posted! I love experiments,lol!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I took all my lilies out today and put them in the tub with water over them .The little bit of algae that was in there was only on the plant bags and put the quilt batting in the filters to pick up in fine floating algae .Well new quilt batting the old stuff was getting kinda ratty looking .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't see any yet, hope it stays that way. The lilies all have new leaves coming up, next weekend I will be getting them ready for summer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My lilies had new leaves but the plant bags were covered with algae and I had to clean some of it off .I saw a couple of frogs hopping around and heard them croaking now and then .I guess the frogs figure winter is over .They must know more than we do .I also saw a couple of yellow finches and I put the feeder out for them and filled it .Mr one eyed owl came over and was sitting up on the shed roof and got a mouse .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been seeing the yellow finches for a few weeks now, just off and on. No frog noises yet.

Ask a Question