How to overwinter Pickerel Weed Pickerel Rush Pontederia cordata

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
First year i've had this plant and it bloomed like crazy. i would like to have it next year but I don't know if i can leave it in the pond. or give up. or try to let it go doormat inside?? im in new jersey. i think im zone 7. i do realize that its probably not worth the effort but i can never tell what will be for sale around me next year. some plants are hard to find or ridiculously overpriced. thanks

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had mine for years in zone 7 and it survived fine. This year it got choked out by my lizards tail which took over my bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I'm trying something new, so I can't vouch for it yet, but I pulled my pickerel out if the pond and buried it up to the crown in my now empty vegetable garden. If it survives, I'll dig it up and replant it in the spring. I've been told if the roots stay under water/ice, it is hardy in my zone (5) but I think my pond water level drops too low and the roots are exposed. So we'll see how this works!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just leave it in the pot in the pond, about 4 inches under water (the crown)

Reaction score
I just cut my Pickerel Weed back in the fall and leave it where it is planted - in the bog. This plant has come back every year since I planted it about 8 years ago. My zone is much cooler than yours

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
thanks for the replies. It was probably the best looking plant i had this year so thats why i was hoping to save it. I'm still struggling to get the lilies to bloom so it was nice to have a plant that bloomed. i probably wouldn't bury it in my garden because the squirrels have taken to digging up my lily bulbs. i dont know if its spite or they can actually eat them. the have also buried whole walnuts in my potted plants which is quite surprising when you go to plant something in the garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a similar problem with chipmunks, the squirrel's furry friend. So hopefully they won't bother my pond plants in the garden. We change our water flow a bit for the winter, which causes our water level to drop about 4 inches, just enough to leave our marginals exposed. So we'll try this and see how it goes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm curious, topofthehill, why you are having problems with lilies blooming. Do you have enough sun, or is that the problem with getting them to bloom? If you have at least 4, preferably 6 hours of sunshine, they should bloom. Obviously, the more sun, the more blooms you will have. I have pretty much full sun, from sunup until late afternoon, so my lilies bloom very well. Another thing you might try is to fertilize them in the spring, when you divide the tubers (they usually need to be divided every year, if they grow well) and repot them. Also, if your pot is brought closer to the surface in the spring, they will begin growing sooner, then you can lower it if you keep them lower, once the leaves come to the surface. They will grow the leaves pretty much as far as necessary to get to the surface.
Also, maybe the type of lilies you have are not as hardy as some. I have several different types, if you want to try a new type, I could mail you one or more in the spring, when I divide mine. Just PM me. :blueflower: I have several plants that I originally got from Menards, but my favorites are ones that other ponders on this forum have shared with me. I am paying it forward, sharing with others now. Next year will be 3rd year I've shared. It's a matter of doing that, or tossing them.

Reaction score
Out of all the years that I have had waterlilies, this was by far the worst one. Not sure if the problem was that we were cold so long into May or what. I know that hubs did something different with the waterlilies this past spring, but we also had a lot of rain and grey skies as well.

Don't give up hope on your waterlilies yet. They need as CE stated 4-6 hours of full sun and wl's are heavy feeders, so definitely feed them. WL's also have to have water temps into the 60's in order to bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Countryescape, i am actually currently in your debt for many of my plants this year. The only lily that bloomed was a white one you sent. It was quite pretty but still rather small. I was so happy the day it bloomed. The directions you included were a big help. The strange thing is the lilies probably look better now with the water about 55 degrees than they did in the middle of the summer. This includes the ones I previously owned. The pennywort you sent me is running wild as well as the clover. I was really excited about the lilies so I will probably beg for some more from you in the spring since I'm pretty confident mine will not need dividing They do get about 6 hours of sunlight but without cutting down my neighbors trees thats about the max I can get. I have contemplated cutting down their trees but I think they would frown on that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
took me awhile to remember how to add an attachment. but here is the lily that bloomed yay

Attachments

• backing up phone 11.2.13 231.jpg
    backing up phone 11.2.13 231.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 734
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, I'll forget, but remind me in the spring. I know I will have Georgia Peach from Addy, and they are by far my best bloomers, and hardiest looking lily. Larger leaves, but seem to be a more dense plant. In other words, the plant doesn't grow wider on the water, just more leaves. Or, maybe that was because I fertilized it and it grow tons of leaves. It still bloomed a lot, just far more leaves than necessary. :blueflower: I also have a yellow that I got from another ponder. He was not positive it is not a tropical, and since I had 2 of the same, one has been brought inside for the winter, the other pot left in the pond. I'm sure hoping it's a hardy and will be fine in the pond. It blooms lots of smaller blooms all summer.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my fav is the colorado, pale pink, flowers held out of the water, 7-8 flowers at a time from one plant. I will have a bunch of those to share. But then again love the georgia and that bright bright pink, mayla

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, if you would like a yellow next spring, let me know. I'm hoping it has lots of "babies". One of the plants is in the basement, in case they are not hardy, in which case I won't be keeping it after next year either. But, assuming they are hardy, it's a great plant, lots of blooms, small footprint. I don't think I have your Colorado, so would love one of them, if you have extras in the spring. :blueflower:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CountryEscape said:
Addy, if you would like a yellow next spring, let me know. I'm hoping it has lots of "babies". One of the plants is in the basement, in case they are not hardy, in which case I won't be keeping it after next year either. But, assuming they are hardy, it's a great plant, lots of blooms, small footprint. I don't think I have your Colorado, so would love one of them, if you have extras in the spring. :blueflower:
Would love a yellow and will have a bunch of colorado, just remind me, and I will try to remind you lol

Tropicals usually are like a bulb, round hard, Hardies have the tuber.

Ask a Question