sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But that is if you start with them when tghey are young .Even my fantails will swim into my hand to get a belly rub and may fancy tails are more friendly than my aggie .Aggie the koi has a temper and she gets mad at me and won't even come to me and when i try to follow her aroiund the pond she will swim to the bottom .My fancy tails love watermelon and will eat it out of my hand .It is how you train them to make them social .But if you have predators that could be a bad thing also

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
They grow fast and koi are a little harder to keep healthy and take care of .I wish someone had told me
They are more rewarding to keep,I would rather have 2 or 3 big koi then a whole pond full of comets I really don't think they are so difficult to keep either as long as you have the 3 biggies,volume,surface area and water movement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have five koi, in a 1700 gallon pond. It's a good bit of work, as I don't have a bottom drain. Sometimes I think about re-homing two, but can't figure which to part with :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't have a drain or a skimmer but found 2 filters are better than 1 and 2 pumps are better than one .A filter on each end has saved me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have a drain or a skimmer but found 2 filters are better than 1 and 2 pumps are better than one .A filter on each end has saved me

For sure, I've two filters, in addition to the skimmer and three pumps! My favorite shower filter was crushed by a tree this spring :( Even with all this, 5 koi are a lot of work!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I only have 2 so I feel your pain tula and would love to have only bought my fat fantails they are so friendly and funny .Sure glad i did not get more than 2

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How big are your koi @Tula ?
I've never actually measured them, but three of them are pretty big.... one is about 2 feet and the other two are close to that....just a guess. I bought those three when they were small, around 2005.

The other two are smaller, maybe a foot. I gave one away last summer to a neighbor with a large koi pond.

I've been giving thought to rehoming some, or all, of them, at some point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Would be fine. What do you do when power goes out. My power went out last winter for two days, my fish did fine
Quite simple we have a Clark's 700 watt back up generator which we employ to take over the running of our pond until the power is back on again

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It was rhitorical question. He's worried about a 45 min ride but what would he do if power went out. Most folks don't have generators, mine were fine dead of winter no aeration at all

Ask a Question