I am at my wit's end...

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I don't think that the herons would bother you at night, but other critters that could be sneaking in at night might be scared off by light. I use these energy saving bulbs that don't take much energy and I think that it might help keep other night predators away. Also with the light on at night, you might be able to sneak up say to a window for a quick peek and see what's going on.

Reaction score
Great Blue Herons I assume? They do roost in trees at night either alone or in small groups. Depends if trees are available and whether there are other herons.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze what next .I never knew they would set in trees .I have never seen one but glad i haven't .I would probably hang my self with the twine ,lol my luck that's what would happen or would find a heron hanging from the twine .Then heron cops would get me

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see herons fly over every morning to the east and every night to the west, same path. I don't know where they are roosting, but glad it is not here. I have never seen one at my pond once it was dark.

They nest in trees, here is a neat link

http://hikingohioparks.com/great-blue-heron-nesting.html

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Blue herons can really clean you out of fish quick, once they see the bright colorful "all you can eat" fish from the sky! Had them dang blue herons last spring, and I too went threw the "what happened to all my fish" and was puzzled about the missing fish for days until one day when I came home from work and looked out the window, and low and behold, there he was, all big and mightly looking, with that big long sharp beak, hunting away for fish in the bottom pond.... it was if I could read his mind, as he gazed upon my rapidly dwindlying supply of small fish, thinging to himself, "I have'nt tried the black little fantail fish yet, let me just have a little bite...."

Here is a picture of what I did, and he has not been back since, cost me nothing but twine and a old pill case that I ripped into thin strips. There is only about six strings of twine strung up over pond, it was enough to keep that bad blue heron from "dine and dashing"! :)

Attachments

• IMAG1119.jpg
    IMAG1119.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMAG1113.jpg
    IMAG1113.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 270

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The heron just flew over again, low enough to look like it is going to crash into our windows, right over the pond, so far no stopping to dine.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is doing a good job, every morning every evening. Almost can set your clock to it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Crap waterbug looks like those night herons live all over the states! Now we have another menace to worry about!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like those night herons at least just go after the smaller fish. Never seen any around here ever in the whole state but haven''t really ever sent out a census

Ask a Question