I am new to ponds and have some questions. Help please

Reaction score
but what if I have jets to kick up debris and toxins from the bottom to go in the skimmer to the biofilter, wouldn't that work?

Reaction score
I am just gonna bite the bullet here and put in a bottom drain that will be pumped up to the waterall bio filter. Then this same pump will also pump water from the skimmer to the biofalls. I think this will work right?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That will work, but so will a pump sitting in the bottom of your pond like 90% of us have. A bottom drain is nice to have and if your pump is lower than it so much the better. Be aware, that if it becomes clogged, you will have to deal with clearing it and avoid jamming your pump at the end.

Reaction score
If I was going to skip out on the skimmer what filtration unit would you reccomend for the pump on the bottom idea at roughlt 4500gph from the pump?

Reaction score
oK SO HEAR IS MY FINAL DECISION. I will have a pump with a 4750 gph output pump water from the skimmer and from the bottom of the tank, up about 10 feet to the waterfall filter where it will flow to the other end of the pond via waterfall. I believe I have covered all of the points. I know that you will disagree with me on the skimmer but I would like a somewhat low maintenance pond. Any comments?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If your waterfall is getting both top and bottom, you should be fine. Just be advised, the bottom could become plugged at some point and a snake may be required to free it.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice. Also one more question. What should the average depth of the ond be as well as the deepest point. I live in a very rocky area as well so digging is difficult.

Reaction score
All right then well I will keep you updated when construction is underway.

Thanks,
Sam

Reaction score
Last fall I decided to build a larger pond, from 800 gallons to 5,000 gallons.

I did plenty of research on filtration. I didn't want to build a big pond and have filtration issues.

I included a bottom drain that flows into a 500 gallon settling chamber, which is pumped into my 150 gallon skippy filter (filled with cut up flow polisher pads), flowing into my water falls.

I then have my skimmer, and another 250 or so gallon holding tank, which is pumped through a UV filter and back into the pond, to circulate the water.

Once I get the landscaping done around the pond I will be adding another 150 gallon stock tank and probably add some bog plants.

I know I over did it on filtration, but you are always better to have too much then not enough.

I am 2 1/2 feet above ground. Easier to keep my daughters out of the pond, and saved me a lot of digging!

Here is a pic of my skippy filter.

Skippy.jpg

Settling Chamber.

SettlingChamber.jpg

Skimmer.

Skimmer.jpg

Spring of this year. I've since added my retaining wall block around the pond. It is 12' x 12' and 5+ feet deep.

PondSpring2008.jpg

Ask a Question