I am new to ponds and have some questions. Help please

Reaction score
Here is some construction. Don't worry I was not using the plastic shovels.

PondConstruction800.jpg

PondConstructiona800.jpg

The inside of my skippy filter.

SkippyFilter800.jpg

Filling up

PondFilling800.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. You said that you put a wall around it this spring, do you have pics of the finished product? Looks great and a really cool idea with the high sides.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Kirscp very nice project you got their ....will you be able to fill your pond to the red rim?????

Reaction score
DrCase,

I installed my skimmer a little low, so the max water level is about 4" below. I was planning on lining the inner 4" with something, like some plastic brick molds, or something.

My priority this summer is getting the retaining wall completed, so it will help insulate the exposed 2 1/2 feet that is above ground.

I want to add another 150 gallon stock tank / filter yet this year, then some landscaping around my waterfalls.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
kirscp again your doing great work........you got a good plan.....if your skimmer got to low,thats were the water level is....new plan, thats what you got to work with.....if the water level is 4 " low....and your still in the building process......why not for your viewing pleasure and all of our,s........take your top 2x6 and lay it side ways to get your water level right to the bottom eadge of your trim boards.......think about this ...crack a beer , stand back in your yard , look at the pond , you wont see the water,,,the finner .and thinner the eadge is the more water and fish you will see........again you are doing a great job......this would give you a bigger water fall, less to build up on the land scaping.......your pics really help....here is a few pic on my raised pond ,the fish would not clime on the eadge like they do when i dont have the camera.......hide the liner...its all about what you dont see....great job

Attachments

• hl1.jpg
    hl1.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 306
  • hl2.jpg
    hl2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 281
  • hl3.jpg
    hl3.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 279

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
not totally, i wanted to show where the water meets the eadge...that fish is a camera hog

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
kirscp you got a super pond, i just want it to be great. for you

Reaction score
It's getting there. So many ideas and not enough time to get them all done. I have already planned on raising the back of my skimmer, adding something, only need to add 4 inches. I put all the filter stuff on hold, as its all working. I want to get the retaining wall block around the pond done, to help insulate it from the COLD winds this winter.

Some time after the wood railing will be coming off and I'll be adding some rock, cement, something that will go with the retaining wall block.

As long as I have clear water, fish, and plants, I'm happy. All the other stuff is just to impress everyone else!

I've been trying to convience my parents to make a pond at their lake cabin. Wouldn't even need a filter, just pump water to the pond and have a stream running back to the lake.

Ask a Question