I feel like Im going in the wrong direction.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you bring them to your brand new pond that doesn't have step one in the evolution of a pond / that being some algae on the rocks you have no food for salamanders, frogs or what they eat to feed upon . The frogs will disappear quickly and move overland in search of what we would consider a dirty old smelly pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you have frogs in your area, they will find you. I think moving in a wild creature and expecting it to stay is rather futile. Our natural frog population spikes and falls throughout the pond season. Yesterday we had dozens... just a few weeks ago we had one or two. We saw a big bullfrog try to catch and eat a smaller frog - small frog got away... this time! If history repeats itself, he/she will soon clear out a lot of the small frogs - either by making a meal of them or scaring them off - and will then move on. All the frogs in the pond were real jittery yesterday - usually they will just sit quietly and assume you can't see them, but they were leaping for cover at the first sign of any movement. They all know the big bully is there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you bring them to your brand new pond that doesn't have step one in the evolution of a pond / that being some algae on the rocks you have no food for salamanders, frogs or what they eat to feed upon . The frogs will disappear quickly and move overland in search of what we would consider a dirty old smelly pond.

I brought back 5. There are no frogs in my area that would naturally find this pond and call it home. I really dont see the difference from relocating them as opposed to buying in a pet store.

As I move into the 4th week since adding water there is already algae forming on the rocks, the liner is slimy and the water has that green/brown tint to it. I can barely see the bottom anymore. It looks like new pond syndrome to me which hopefully gives these frogs the food they need. Plus theres always crickets, flush mosquitoes and other bugs around.

If you have frogs in your area, they will find you. I think moving in a wild creature and expecting it to stay is rather futile. Our natural frog population spikes and falls throughout the pond season. Yesterday we had dozens... just a few weeks ago we had one or two. We saw a big bullfrog try to catch and eat a smaller frog - small frog got away... this time! If history repeats itself, he/she will soon clear out a lot of the small frogs - either by making a meal of them or scaring them off - and will then move on. All the frogs in the pond were real jittery yesterday - usually they will just sit quietly and assume you can't see them, but they were leaping for cover at the first sign of any movement. They all know the big bully is there.

But like I mentioned above, there are no frogs in the area so what's the difference between moving them from a different location vs buying in the store? I cant guarentee they will stay but rather hope they will stay

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, one difference is no one buys frogs in a pet store that they intend to keep in an outdoor pond, at least that I know of. You can buy bullfrog tadpoles here, but good luck getting those to stick around once they are full-on frog. For one thing they are very territorial hunters, so something has to give if you have more than one. We've had lots of bullfrogs over the years but never more than one at a time. We've even noticed the smaller frogs are territorial in the pond - they all pick their spot and pretty much stick to it for hunting.

How far from home did you transport these frogs? There's no harm in bringing them (as long as they are native to your area - you don't want to bring in a non-native species). - I would just keep my expectations low about them sticking around.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My frog population comes and goes, at times tons other times just a few.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Lisak1 ...I understand what your saying. Figured the kids would like to see the frogs. Time will tell what happens.

New pond syndrome here?

Attachments

• 20190911_131514.jpg
    20190911_131514.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 20190911_131531.jpg
    20190911_131531.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 20190911_131711.jpg
    20190911_131711.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 266
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive been feeding the goldfish every other day and usually it's not hard to account for every fish in the pond when they come to surface to eat. However, the past few days I'm missing several fish at feeding time. I can't see the bottom of a pond at this point and I'm hoping they didnt die. In the unfortunate scenario that several fish did die and are at the bottom, is that going to cause a major concern for my new pond while it's cycling? Right now it's at the 5-week mark

Attachments

• 20190923_173726.jpg
    20190923_173726.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 20190923_173805.jpg
    20190923_173805.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 218

Ask a Question