addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pond water didn't even get frogs when it was that low of a ph, the next year they moved in once I had the ph stabilized and higher.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-3-22_13-8-3.gif
@CSMcMullen1 Your nice big pond has good bones to it!
Waiting till it's warmer to put the goldfish in is a good idea. Ya don't want to chill them. Neat you have frogs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The pond water didn't even get frogs when it was that low of a ph, the next year they moved in once I had the ph stabilized and higher.
There was a lot of large clam shells scattered around. I put them in the pond. I haven't tested the water yet to see if they are doing anything.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used crushed oyster shells, chicken grit, that they sell at tractor supply. They take a long time to break down.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Well I have all the under brush gone. I have 3 larger goldfish I am waiting to put in. I want to put Lilly pads in but I can't find any just yet. Had water tested and my source water is a bit acidic. The power outlet that's down there does not work and I will need to run new . Running new is not fully in my budget right now. I think with a few potted plants and just my 3 fish it should go ok. I have a leperd frog living in it . Starting to get hair algea.

I would run a extension cord for a while just to get some water moving .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where did you place them? In high flow area or just in it?
I have them in my bog water is constantly flowing over the shells.
I would run a extension cord for a while just to get some water moving .
My electrician honey had me running my pond off of extension cords for over a year. A little slow in running wires for me.............I did use 10/3 since it ran over 75 feet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have them in my bog water is constantly flowing over the shells.

My electrician honey had me running my pond off of extension cords for over a year. A little slow in running wires for me.............I did use 10/3 since it ran over 75 feet
Did you mix it with other gravel?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you mix it with other gravel?
I am a somewhat lazy ponder, I cut the bags and just pour it over the bog pea gravel. It is whiter than the gravel, sometimes I stir it with my foot. A cloud of dust comes out which just goes away. Then as it ages it turns darker.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am a somewhat lazy ponder, I cut the bags and just pour it over the bog pea gravel. It is whiter than the gravel, sometimes I stir it with my foot. A cloud of dust comes out which just goes away. Then as it ages it turns darker.
That's what I want very low mantance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well I now have 3 goldfish in the pond. I bought a box of plants at the big box store. 2 Lilly and one iris. And a dwarf cattail. The water fall is working. I have lava rocks and crushed oyster shells in the back of it. The very back leeks a bit. Will be fixing that tomorrow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the update @CSMcMullen1 we're looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your progress!

I saw the same box of plants at Lowe's I believe, the "water plant collection". I was tempted to get it but I already need to make sure my lilies come back and possibly replant them if they don't. I also saw the pickerel rush in the little cups just like my water lilies came in and I might try a couple of those eventually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Go take a drive to a local water way. Find plays that grow well. If you can get approval to remove some, quarantine them first! Wash them in a bleach solution, then let them spend a month or so in an aquarium, wading pool, or other such water source. That’ll clear out any bugs/ parasites. You’ll want to quarantine and fish prior to adding them as well. Which reminds me to get my tank going again... I plan to get a fish for my sister soon.

Ask a Question