I just can't figure this stuff out!

Reaction score
Well I don’t know anything about the history of Jen’s pond, did she build it? how big?, that sort of thing. I'm just by going by what I read in her one post. From what i read it sounds like she doesn’t really have alot of extra time to do regular maintenance, things are kind of out of control, and she doesn’t know what to do. I could quote the sentences where I infer that, but I think you’ll agree that is the gist of what she is saying. Am I wrong?
I think the 3 general steps I outlined sum up what needs to be done get things back on track. The only remaining things that needs to be decided is who? and how?
Sissy suggested scooping the muck out of the pond with a pool net, I agree, that would be an excellent first step. That and then maybe a pond Vac. It doesn’t even have to be Jen. Nor does it have to be an expert pondsman (if there is such a thing???). It could be the neighbours kid. But I think cleaning out the pond is the most logical first step. Much better idea than say dumping pea gravel in the bottom of the pond.
Once the pond has been cleaned up to some degree, and it is determined if the fish are alive or not, she could make a better decision on what to do next. If the fish are all dead one decision could be to do nothing till spring. Nothing to the pond that is. If the fish are all dead there will be no immediate need to get it cleaned up any better and filtering properly at this time, other than for aesthetics maybe. Then she has all winter to think about what she is going to do with the pond next spring. Change the pond? Find more time to do regular maintenance? Hire somebody? Fill it in and plant daisies?

If the fish are still alive then there may be a more pressing need to take some sort of action right away.
What would you suggest she do next?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have heard of ponds that were worse and she will make it and succeed .All she needs is day of cleaning and winter will get here and next spring after this big clean out .Winter and how to work it is harder your first year as you are really not sure what to do .I'm scared of winter and what it will bring to my pond once I turn my filters off .The weather has been bouncing back and forth heavy rains and wind and the temps go up and then down .If it is your first time for winter in your pond you really don't know what to do .

Reaction score
When you sell your house with a pond it is not an asset most times.

I had heard that but was very surprised that the pond turned out to be a big selling point. I had one older Japanese couple that really liked it. The lady sat down by the pond and said "this is our house" and didn't move from the spot. Unfortunately their children showed up and talked them out of it.

So I've changed my opinion on the subject of ponds and home value. I do think it's the whole landscape however, not just the pond. People respond to lush topical.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No matter what you still have to maintain it all the property and the house .I know .The land owner that bought all the property had stripped all the land of trees and everything and I have had to plant grass a tons of trees .I make a list everyday of things that have to get done and the pond is on my list at least 2 times a week right now as I was letting it go to long and realized if I did not add it and keep it up it could get bad fast .Houses these days are not your biggest asset anymore and people have a lot to chose from and they are picky for sure .I'm rooting for you jen .

Reaction score
Jen,

I would surmise that there is probably lot's of work to be done to correct your pond's condition.

Not all algae is bad, some are very beneficial. The first step I would take is to properly identify the algae that is overtaking the pond. Sounds like you have already got a good idea of what it is and it doesn't sound like a beneficial type even to me. The short growth algae that adheres to rocks and the sides of the pond walls, etc (like fine, short hairs) is beneficial. The long, stringy, matting algae that grows prolifically, nearly free floating about the pond and obscures everything in the pond is not beneficial, obviously. But, I wouldn't say it is detrimental unless unchecked (which it sounds like it is either approaching that point or already there).

I agree with others that mechanical removal at this point is necessary. That means getting in the pond with some hooks and rakes and nets or something to pull it out and toss it away. This is not the fun part, of course.

Once you get the pond cleared of the major bulk of this algae, then maybe the weather will have grown colder by then and halt or at least deter further growth for this season. That will buy you some time to do some research.

The next step that I think is necessary would be to identify the reason why this algae got out of hand for you in the first place. What makes this algae grow? Is it water temperature? Water Chemistry? Is the pond too shallow? Is there too much sunlight? Is it organic (i.e. lots of nutients or food for the algae)? Is it a combination of several of these parameters?

Whatever the cause, you need to identify it and reverse it and put some means in place to maintain the water condition to prevent future overgrowth of the same algae.

I may be wrong, but I have a gut feeling that your pump and filtration system is not at fault or at least owns only a small portion of the blame here. It is probably serving its purpose just fine, but don't take that as anything gospel at this point. I haven't seen your pond or your water conditioning system, so I am just going on a hunch from what you have stated.

I am a little concerned that you stated that you didn't even know if there were any fish in the pond anymore. Since you cannot see them, where are they? Did they die because of the algae? Or did they die because of the same condition that brought about the algae? Or are they just living happily in the "Octupus's Garden, Beneath the Waves?" Let's hope the latter is the case.

By the way, what type of fish (fishes) were in the pond?

There is a treatment for your pond called "AlgaeFix" that might help you, but I don't know if I would use it as a remedy for a long term. If you determine the reason for the algae growth, and correct that, then you won't need to treat the "symptom", you will have found the cure for the "disease". Mind you, your pond is not suffering from a "disease", I am just using that term for illustration purposes.

As for the frogs, I would not worry about them one bit. This subject has arisen before and I think it is a logical consensus that any frog that moved into your pond as a "squatter" will know what to do if evicted. They'll take care of themselves and return when the season is right and the pond is back in order. Little opportunists that they are! LOL They have survived in this world MUCH longer than we human's have, so give them credit for that.

If I had to take a random guess at what is causing the stringy algae in your pond, the first thing that comes to my mind would be too high of Nitrate level coupled with a lot of sunshine and maybe insufficient water circulation (too warm in spots if not the whole area of the pond) and not enough plant life (desireable types) to scrub the nitrate levels down to an acceptable level.

I hope that you are not against doing things in the DIY manner. I think that you would find it to be rewarding and the results satisfying (not to mention less expensive in the long run). But, that is no matter, if you have the resources and you can locate a really reputable pond "Doctor", then by all means, do so.

Whichever way you go, I wish you luck and a speedy recovery for your pond. Sure do want to see your pond in pictures here on the forum in the future, looking bright and clear and full of fish! :) Ok, and frogs too!

Gordy

Reaction score
Do we know the unclear water is caused by algae? Last I read it was called a "mud puddle". That could mean algae because people often like to use more colorful than accurate.

Algae is almost all good from the fish's perspective. Provides food either directly to the fish or to the rest of the food chain which tops out with the fish, herons excluded. Algae also consumes ammonia directly so that helps. Algae provides cover and can protect fish from UV. The only downside is reduced O2 if algae dies off all at once and reduced O2 at night.

Ask a Question