I keep adding fish, how do I stop!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I keep adding a few tropical fish. My small pond still looks empty, and the water is still crystal clear.

But I have about 25 sq. ft. of surface and 260 gallons of water. By pond calculations, that's 25 inches of fish. By aquarium standards, it's capacity for around 200 inches of fish. I assume I'm at 100 fish-inches at full size... about 15 tropical fish between 3" and 4" at full size, and 5 gold fish (that will growth to between 8" and 10"). I have bog filtration plus a commercial filter rated for 1600 gallons (or 400 gallons of Koi).

I have 5 Silver Mollys, 4 Rainbow fish, 5 Swordtail, a bunch of snails, a bunch of plants (about 15 aquarium plants in pond soil, 2 lillies) plus another 15 marginals in the bogs.

I think I'm okay, but I might need an FA meeting to stop. I almost bought two more goldfish when getting the mollies, but I think I might be over gold fished.

Alex

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Or spend alot of money on one fish and then it kicks the bucket that makes you think Really long and hard about buying other fish

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I will say that aquarium fish don't looks great in ponds. They are much better viewed from the sides ( especially in the case of things like rainbowfish ) and so I would stay with ones that have larger top profiles, with better colors that you can see. I think that will help the pond look a little more filled up.

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
all I can think is that the one goldfish I didn’t get would make everything complete…
It's never complete lol
I will say that aquarium fish don't looks great in ponds. They are much better viewed from the sides ( especially in the case of things like rainbowfish ) and so I would stay with ones that have larger top profiles, with better colors that you can see. I think that will help the pond look a little more filled up.
That is definitely a true statement

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can't stop either

Attachments

• 20220331_212358.jpg
    20220331_212358.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I keep adding a few tropical fish. My small pond still looks empty, and the water is still crystal clear.

But I have about 25 sq. ft. of surface and 260 gallons of water. By pond calculations, that's 25 inches of fish. By aquarium standards, it's capacity for around 200 inches of fish. I assume I'm at 100 fish-inches at full size... about 15 tropical fish between 3" and 4" at full size, and 5 gold fish (that will growth to between 8" and 10"). I have bog filtration plus a commercial filter rated for 1600 gallons (or 400 gallons of Koi).

I have 5 Silver Mollys, 4 Rainbow fish, 5 Swordtail, a bunch of snails, a bunch of plants (about 15 aquarium plants in pond soil, 2 lillies) plus another 15 marginals in the bogs.

I think I'm okay, but I might need an FA meeting to stop. I almost bought two more goldfish when getting the mollies, but I think I might be over gold fished.

Alex
For 260 gallons you are fine thats not a big deal and with a bog you have no worries

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
They don't look great. The goldfish do. However, the water is so clear, and the pond is shallow, they are fun. I enjoy how they swim around in schools.

They are a welcome addition, even if they look better on the sides.

I wanted a fish tank... loved fresh water tanks as a kid. Wife said no... well, fooled her... :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Clear water doesn't necessarily mean good and healthy water. You can't see ammonia, nitrite or KH levels.

I don't think you have a problem now, but those goldfish can grow larger than 10 inches.

The recommendation for goldfish in a pond, at least from what I understand, is one fish per 50 gallons. You can get away with more if you have extra filtration, but you need to keep an eye on your water quality, by testing it, to make sure it stays healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Clear water doesn't necessarily mean good and healthy water. You can't see ammonia, nitrite or KH levels.

I don't think you have a problem now, but those goldfish can grow larger than 10 inches.

The recommendation for goldfish in a pond, at least from what I understand, is one fish per 50 gallons. You can get away with more if you have extra filtration, but you need to keep an eye on your water quality, by testing it, to make sure it stays healthy.

Well, when I tested for the levels (albeit with a stick, not a real liquid kit) everything looked ideal.

I have redundant filtration (one off skimmer, one off bottom drain) that both turn the water over every 45 minutes or so. One is a bog system. One is a commercial box filter with UV.

When I run just the bog, my water was murky but the fish were healthy and the levels were fine - the bogs keep up with a super healthy pond.

The UV/Box Filter/Bio Filter three part system of commercial products turned it from healthy water to healthy crystal clear water. It even rolls through Activated Charcoal which has reduced the tannins dramatically.

I am guessing that if I still to the current goldfish (or add the one more I want) I should be okay, presuming that they don't spawn more than the water can support. I also don't think that the tropical fish are going to strain the load. They might not be as pretty, but they definitely add to it looking more like an ecosystem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I’ve kept a dozen large 6-8” goldfish in a 300 gallon pond with filtration similar to yours for five years, and my water tests are stable, and fish are healthy. You might consider the chemical test kit instead of test strips though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I’ve kept a dozen large 6-8” goldfish in a 300 gallon pond with filtration similar to yours for five years, and my water tests are stable, and fish are healthy. You might consider the chemical test kit instead of test strips though.

Well, I'm pretty sure that I could get a chemical test kit to sit there unused next to my pool test kit.

Meanwhile I'm using the strips. :) The best test kit is the most accurate one you'll actually use.

Thanks so much for your feedback. That helped a lot.

Maybe just 1 more gold fish...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's the point in people recommending the liquid tests. They are more accurate than strips, so strips are not very useful. They start to deterioate as soon as air hits then when you open the container.

If you want results you can depend on, you need the liquid tests. Otherwise, there isn't much point in testing at all.

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, I'm pretty sure that I could get a chemical test kit to sit there unused next to my pool test kit.

Meanwhile I'm using the strips. :) The best test kit is the most accurate one you'll actually use.

Thanks so much for your feedback. That helped a lot.

Maybe just 1 more gold fish...
Just 1 more lol I bought a 1in electric blue Acura and a 1 in red belly flower horn today I know how the just 1 more goes

Attachments

• 16488487666238469696271901504728.jpg
    16488487666238469696271901504728.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 1648848910241135811352150005170.jpg
    1648848910241135811352150005170.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 13

Ask a Question