I keep adding fish, how do I stop!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
That's the point in people recommending the liquid tests. They are more accurate than strips, so strips are not very useful. They start to deterioate as soon as air hits then when you open the container.

If you want results you can depend on, you need the liquid tests. Otherwise, there isn't much point in testing at all.
But I’ll get no results at all from the liquid tests because I won’t do them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So it's the same with the strips then? :)

My pond is very overstocked and I have way more filtration than is recommended. But I know I am risking having problems as the fish grow.

I think I have it covered, but I like to know if things are getting out of hand. I don't test often, but it's nice to be able to be confident that everything is in good shape.

Enjoy your pond and those 1 more fish. Believe me, I understand and they keep producing more all on their own.

Last edited:

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
As far as the testing conundrum goes, here is my advice.

You can just use the test strips for regular testing, but if they pull up a wacky result, check with the liquid tests before changing anything.

And mabye just do a liquid test to check the accuracy of the test strips every few months or something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
As far as the testing conundrum goes, here is my advice.

You can just use the test strips for regular testing, but if they pull up a wacky result, check with the liquid tests before changing anything.

And mabye just do a liquid test to check the accuracy of the test strips every few months or something.

Makes sense, seems practical.

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I actually bought 3 babies lol

Attachments

• Resized_20220402_103611.jpeg
    Resized_20220402_103611.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 22

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Looks like you are on your way out of the fish buying addiction! Cichlidboy deffinitly isnt though....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But I’ll get no results at all from the liquid tests because I won’t do them.

That's an honest reply anyway! But then - why worry?

I talked to a friend recently who told me she dropped her renter's insurance because it didn't cover flooding. She wasn't concerned about fire because "I don't have much anyway". So if you aren't concerned about losing everything to fire, then why are you concerned about flooding...

Kind of feels like the same argument to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
That's an honest reply anyway! But then - why worry?

I talked to a friend recently who told me she dropped her renter's insurance because it didn't cover flooding. She wasn't concerned about fire because "I don't have much anyway". So if you aren't concerned about losing everything to fire, then why are you concerned about flooding...

Kind of feels like the same argument to me.

The sticks are easy enough to use and check, I know that they aren’t accurate. I also know that I never test my pool with the liquid kits but used to with the sticks. It’s a whole process.

I know my limitations, I am more than capable of buying a liquid test kit, using it regularly is another story. If the water is clear, everything is doing well, and the sticks show optimal, I’m good. I don’t consider the sticks a real diagnostic tool, but if they are ”all-clear” than who cares.

So I will treat bad water, bad stick, etc as a signal to test, and at that point I’ll get a liquid test kit and use it. But dip a stick in the water is totally doable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I got 6 yellow/orange platys, but it was planned. They seem to have adapted in the pond. Away we go.

I'm really enjoying the mixture of tropical fish and gold fish in the pond. The goldfish are obviously the more "pond friendly" for viewing, but the single color mollys/platys are also great. The Rainbow fish just look black from the surface. Either way, it's a fun growing eco system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I added these Silver Mollies... 6 of them. I now have like 25 of them, they are adorable.

A bird got one of my goldfish and left it for dead on the side, that sucked. But pond is doing great. I love being in Florida.

Ask a Question