I need recommendations please

Reaction score
I have a pond that is about 1500g I would say maybe a little more im not exactly sure. RIght now its filled with leaves and string algae from last year. There are 3 water lilies that I am going to pull out and put into a seperate container for the time being. Now what I was planning to do is chlorinate/circulate the water for 24 hours to kill every thing. Then I will drain it, remove the leaves and let everything dry. I do not have a filter so I will need some recommendations. I dont want to pay a fortune but not want something that isnt going to work.

What can I get to keep the water crystal clear? and low maintanance? I will put some koi in eventually as well as plants. THere are filters on ebay for fairly cheap. They look like knock offs but seem like they will do the trick. I was going to get one that is rated for a larger pond.

Are there chemicals that I need too? I just want it to be clear and low maintainance so what do you think needs to be done.
THanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check the diy section there are some filters you can make yourself for 20-50 dollars.

If you are going to have koi, you need some sort of circulation, and koi will eat plants you put in, so you will need to protect them.

By totally cleaning you are getting rid of good stuff, algae on the sides etc. You would be better off just cleaning the bottom, doing a good water change then wiping all out. Once you do a total clean your pond will have to do the new pond cycle.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if your handy or have someone who is...visit our DIY section for filter builds...both of my filters are extremely efficient. i have a 70 gal stocktank filter on my outdoor pond and a 55 gal barrel on my basement pond. i maintain beautifully clear water and the parameters are spot on!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
cinfid12 said:
I have a pond that is about 1500g I would say maybe a little more im not exactly sure. RIght now its filled with leaves and string algae from last year. There are 3 water lilies that I am going to pull out and put into a seperate container for the time being. Now what I was planning to do is chlorinate/circulate the water for 24 hours to kill every thing. Then I will drain it, remove the leaves and let everything dry. I do not have a filter so I will need some recommendations. I dont want to pay a fortune but not want something that isnt going to work.

What can I get to keep the water crystal clear? and low maintanance? I will put some koi in eventually as well as plants. THere are filters on ebay for fairly cheap. They look like knock offs but seem like they will do the trick. I was going to get one that is rated for a larger pond.

Are there chemicals that I need too? I just want it to be clear and low maintainance so what do you think needs to be done.
THanks

PLEASE, DO NOT GO WITH YOUR PLAN, VERY BAD IDEA!!!! No chemicals to clean with if you EVER plan on keeping fish. Your better off rinsing everything everything out starting over than cleaning with chlorine. Thise is a major No, No. I'm like the others, DYI filter can keep a pond clean, it's all in setting one up for the job of your own pond. I would not recommend Koi if your wanting low maintenance natural looking pond, Goldfish get to be up to 14" long, Plenty big, Don't tear up plants, most cases cost less, and are really hardier fish and more forgiving to it's keeper. Available in many body types and just as wide of a color selection Please read through all the information here before proceeding. lots of folks here that will gladly try and help walk you through far more successful paths.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Using clorine and other stuff to make it sterile and pristine as you call it, is a recipe for disaster. First of all, this is not a swimming pool for humans... It is a pond that must have an eco system. The eco system takes time to grow. What you are suggesting is genocide for that essential element.
What you need is pristine water for the fish. You will get plenty of good advice here, please read and judge for yourself before doing anything you will regret.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can have clean water without chemicals and with koi remember they grow fast and need more care and need a lot more oxygen the more oxygen you add the better .I have put tons of oxygen in my pond for my koi and my water is clear and clean with out the use of chemicals

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Cinfid12, i agree with all the above comments and especially fishin4cars remarks about koi. If you want an easy pond to maintain keep the bio-load down. That means smaller fish like goldfish and not too many. The problem you have now is your pond stinks from all the decomposing organic matter. Next year start your pump much earlier and the water movement will reduce the anaerobic decay. Also putting a net over it will help keep leaves out. For now just clean out as much muck as you can and do frequent water changes. Also getting a pump and bio-filter working and adding a waterfall are your best solutions for long term low maintenance.

Reaction score
Good suggestions all. I might also suggest seeding your freshly-cleaned pond with beneficial pond bacteria, especially if you intend to add fish. It will reduce the stabilization time, and you can more easily control upsets once you get used to what your pond needs.

As a manufacturer of natural, chemical-free pond treatment products, I second the NO CHEMICALS suggestions. Frankly, you could probably get by just fine doing it your way, but it will ultimately cause you more work, rather than less, and more time waiting. For the same reasons you don't flush gallons of bleach down a septic tank, it is wise to avoid adding chemicals to a fish pond. Your pond is a living organism, basically, and you will likely end up killing more of the 'good stuff' than the bad stuff.

If you have any questions related to seeding and maintaining your pond with beneficial microbes, drop me a PM. I've been treating thousands of hectares of shrimp and fish farms across the world. Would love to offer some solutions to make your pond headache-free.

Ask a Question