I now have an official "least favorite thing" about ponds....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wouldn't yours still flower mmathis .I know i have a bud on mine ready to open .I fertilized them about a week ago and just noticed the bud today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just haul out the lily plants, trim off everything but the very new, very small new growth, then unceremoniously dump them all in a laundry bag with a stone in it, and sink them all. They're three feet deep and spend the whole winter under two-three feet of ice and snow from essentially November through March. All of the "gradoo" goes into the wheel barrow and into the woods.
I am considering stripping all of the "green" growth from the bog leaving several root systems and flushing/cleaning it out before the cold weather sets in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is a pot grabber?

I don't know what addy uses but I use this grabber and I have come to really appreciate it for work in and around the pond.

31Al-KgOcCL._SY400_.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is a pot grabber?
I will need to get the name at home. Once we head home again. I have had it for over 20 years. It has attachments, net, cutter, pot grabber etc. Last time I looked it up they still made them. You put the grabber on the pot rim, pull the rope and drag the pot in. I like the fact it goes out around 18 feet that is the length I need to reach all my lilies.

@Gemma I keep my lilies around 18 inches deep for the winter, we don't freeze deeper than that, usually, then in the spring put them all as shallow as possible to get a good dose of sun and warmth. Then as they start to grow I push them deeper. I don't have any lilies deeper than about 3.5 feet. I had one in the deeper end over 4 feet, it did not do as well as the others.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks for giving me hope!
They are now 4 1/2' deep, a foot and a half deeper, than they used to be, you think it's too deep?

I think that 4.5' is too deep for lilies.

The ideal depth seems to be 2.5' - 3'. Hardy water lilies will survive the winter at that depth as well, meaning that you never have to move them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will need to get the name at home. Once we head home again. I have had it for over 20 years. It has attachments, net, cutter, pot grabber etc. Last time I looked it up they still made them. You put the grabber on the pot rim, pull the rope and drag the pot in. I like the fact it goes out around 18 feet that is the length I need to reach all my lilies.
Do you do anything special to your pots that makes them easy to grab with the grabber? Do you have a wire or rope around the pot that the grabber hooks onto? I'm having trouble seeing what it would be like, pulling lily pots in with a grabber.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When you pull on the rope it closes the grabbing part.
Capture.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe the smooth bottom oil pans addy uses helps it slide better plus they are shallower than a regular pot

Ask a Question