I'm finsidering

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
All goldfish varieties will spawn with one another. They have no clue that they are different. Fantails can fill the palm of your hand up quite easily when full grown.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have several shubunkin, 2 sarasa, and about 5 watonai and wakin. The watonai and wakin are my favorite. They shaped and color like shubunkin but have tail like fantail, making them hardy and quite fast, not as fast as the shubunkin or sarasa but fast enough that it's hard for me to catch them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
they are all goldfish :) pretty ones. I have not lost mine to predators at the old house... not sure about the new house yet as it's not in the 'city' anymore.

So here're what I like - all goldfish - all shape the same

Black & white shubunkin
Tri colors shubunkin
Watonai and Wakin (same thing, watonai just has longer tails)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I went to your showcase and found 1 picture of fish. Are the spotted guys shubunkins? They are orange and white with black spots?
Yes. Black white and red (or orange or yellow)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Tbendl. i responded to a few of your questions you asked on my thread. Comets and shubunkins are much heartier than fantails and I would stick to those. If you don't want a lot of babies don't overfead and the fish will find a natural balance because they will eat eggs and fry. Also don't add in too many plants like anacharis and hornwort because babies will hide in them. My goldfish don't disturb my plants unless they are spawning. They may make a little mess but don't eat them. The fewer fish you have and the less you feed them the easier the pond will be to care for. Other than the water changes I do in the spring, once I set up my pond it requires maybe just a few minutes of work per week to skim the pond and thats about it. Oh and that's not really work!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here are some of my shubunkins colored fan tails I got for my deck pond. They will be moved to the big pond for the winter

I don't feed a lot, the ponds have never gotten over run with fry. Every now and then I see a small fish, but not many. They all snack on the eggs. And tadpoles, dragon fly larvae, frogs and now a water snake joins the snacking group.

IMG_0840.JPG

And some shubunkins I picked up for the big pond
IMG_0852.JPG

in the water

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do net my pond, we are in the flight path of a heron rookery. They fly over every day, from a single heron to groups of three. Right over our yard and pond. Like clock work, going east in the morning, west in the evening.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing with shubbies is there mating and they have a habit of jumping out of the pond .That is how i lost one of mine and other one I gave away .Shubbies do come in nice colors though but they get big also .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never had any of mine jump out of the pond. The stock tank edge is only an inch over the water level,

"About five inches is a more likely adult size for the Shubunkin Goldfish. But 18 inches size is possible for fish in exceedingly well maintained large tanks and ponds
Shubunkin Goldfish are some of the hardier species of goldfish. They are very undemanding of water quality and temperature.

fan tails 6.0 inches (15.24 cm) - Average size is 6" (15 cm), but have been reported to reach 10- 12" (25-30+ cm Fantail Goldfish are some of the hardier species of goldfish. They are very undemanding of water quality and temperature, and recommended for the beginner.).

Goldfish are very social animals and thrive in a community. Not only are they a great community fish but they are great scavengers as well"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
I've had them jump out during mating. They seem to try and wriggle their way into the weeds at the side to lay eggs, and sometimes the wriggling is a bit too energetic and they wriggle out. :rolleyes:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So far never have been an issue for me, thankfully

Ask a Question