I'm finsidering

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I like the ones that have a light blue color to them
Those sound gorgeous, do you guys have any?
Comets and shubunkins are much heartier than fantails and I would stick to those. If you don't want a lot of babies don't overfead and the fish will find a natural balance because they will eat eggs and fry. Also don't add in too many plants like anacharis and hornwort because babies will hide in them. My goldfish don't disturb my plants unless they are spawning. They may make a little mess but don't eat them. The fewer fish you have and the less you feed them the easier the pond will be to care for. Other than the water changes I do in the spring, once I set up my pond it requires maybe just a few minutes of work per week to skim the pond and thats about it. Oh and that's not really work!
That sounds good, I skim my pond daily now, it's my free therapy :smuggrin: I am leaning toward shubunkins, I understand they are faster swimmers and since I won't be netting, I'd like to give them a fair shot at making a swim for it should predators come fishing.
Here are some of my shubunkins colored fan tails I got for my deck pond. They will be moved to the big pond for the winter

I don't feed a lot, the ponds have never gotten over run with fry. Every now and then I see a small fish, but not many. They all snack on the eggs. And tadpoles, dragon fly larvae, frogs and now a water snake joins the snacking group.
Addy they are beautiful, I guess I never paid attention to what kind of fish they were. How big are they? I love the coloring and the size and since I have plenty of taddies, frogs, and dragon fly larvae I think I'll be good.
"About five inches is a more likely adult size for the Shubunkin Goldfish. But 18 inches size is possible for fish in exceedingly well maintained large tanks and ponds
I guess that answers my question. Your's look way larger than 5" though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have mine for 2 winters now and I think they will not get any bigger. The body is about 5-6 inches and the tail how ever long.. :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nepen how large is your pond? Is it true that fish will grow to size depending on the size of the pond? I wonder since there seems to be a size difference between yours and Addy's, although it may be an age thing since yours are only 2.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm not sure if Addy measure the tail too or not :)

My old pond was about 700 gallon. but we have only 9 fish so they had plenty of room.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That was a quote from the net. Mine are around 8 with tail. And smaller

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I thought they looked pretty large. And I guess your's Nepen were the same size, just the photo made me think differently. I like the size of them, and the coloring. I guess all that's left is the buying.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Take fishy pictures before you toss them in!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if Addy measure the tail too or not :)

My old pond was about 700 gallon. but we have only 9 fish so they had plenty of room.
Fish are measured in "standard length", that being from the front edge of the mouth to the caudal peduncle, the place where the body ends and the caudal (tail) fin starts. So while Addy's fish may be 8" in total length, they are actually 5" fish with 3" tails. (Approximately)
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Fish are measured in "standard length", that being from the front edge of the mouth to the caudal peduncle, the place where the body ends and the caudal (tail) fin starts. So while Addy's fish may be 8" in total length, they are actually 5" fish with 3" tails. (Approximately)
John
Yes you are indeed correct with your measurements John thats they way weve always done it in both the Aquatic world and the koi world here in the UK both F.B.A.S and B.K.K.S rulings are the same on this .
Most blue benching bowls now come with the standardised B.K.K.S. measurements already attached .
If they dont then all we do is ask the koi club to supply one at £1.50 UK and stick it to the bottom of your new bowl , it is then should it be called upon ready to measure any fish at the show should neeed be , which it never is so we use it to measure any fish we wish to show to give us an idea of what size it goes into one two or three[jombo sized.
Others measure ome two three fou fivbe[jumbo sized it depebnds on the show and what rules your showing under be it Z.N.A, B.K.K S. A.K.C.A, F.B.A.S etc

Dave

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
John
Sounds right John, I do have a few that are around 8 inch body only, but not many.

Ask a Question