I'm finsidering

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Another thing to think about, if you do think you'll be visited by predators, quick-moving fish will tend to have better chances of survival than slow-moving fish. Comets and Shubunkin are very streamlined and dash around like crazy. It took us 2 hours catch 7 fish in order to transfer them to the middle pond. o_O

Also, in my experience, Goldfish do a good job at controlling their populations by eating their eggs and fry. Granted, I did have them in an undersized space, so maybe that helped them keep their numbers down. We will see if I am singing a different tune once the new larger pond is ready =)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB what do you have? Just goldfish? Are they small enough to not attract the Heron?

Just Goldfish, specifically comets and shubunkins. Although I'm suspicious that one of the babies is a regular goldfish that may have come in on a plant.

I've never had a Heron stop by, but they fly over all the time. My confined area might keep them away. One of the reasons I chose to put it next to my patio instead of in the backyard.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just finished reading that the Shubunkins are a better swimmers and slightly hardier than the fantails. Any concern about the frogs eating the smaller fish?
And JB my pond is relatively close to the house as well and pretty confined as well. I think I need more floating plant or lily coverage first.
Do the goldfish dig up plants or is that just the Koi?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sigh, I hope not, I don't have room for a bigger pond. A bigger bog maybe... LOL
It's just I can finally see the bottom and wouldn't mind a sweet swimmer in there. I'd prefer just 1 so I don't end up with babies, but everyone is telling me they are social and would be lonely, although I'm sure my cat Calvin would be willing to keep them company.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I love "butt wigglers". They are always so tame. But if you want only a single fish why not an albino channel catfish? They are a blast once they figure out you are the food source.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I kept shubunkin and comets prior to koi, and they never bothered my plants....just the darn koi!!! I once had a fan tail and he went missing...I speculated he was caught by a raccoon as he was role poly and swam slowly near the top of the water.

I think shubunkins are beautiful :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They are always so tame. But if you want only a single fish why not an albino channel catfish? They are a blast once they figure out you are the food source.
I don't know anything about them, I can look them up.
I kept shubunkin and comets prior to koi, and they never bothered my plants....just the darn koi!!! I once had a fan tail and he went missing...I speculated he was caught by a raccoon as he was role poly and swam slowly near the top of the water.
That's the only thing I'm wondering is if I will get bird predators. I assumed the crane and heron only went after pond with the big fish but after doing some reading that might not be the case. I might need a quicker butt wiggler.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nope, my fish don't bother the plants at all. The only plant they go after is algae. (y)

Reaction score
I knew you'd come around. Don't talk to me, I have an over crowded pond. They are fun to watch. Mine don't seem to like each other enough to procreate. Still no babies.

Congrats on your clear pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have 9 fish last year and 9 fish this year and eventhough they all spawned, I still have no babies so I think you should be fine. The dragon fly nymph also eats babies and you can get the little 'tropical' fish in there to eat the babies as well. I got one male betta fish in my indoor tank with other fish and he's doing fine and eating the other fish's babies.

But fish is addictive ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the other fish are koi but the little fat bellied ones are the fantails .They don't get very big .The black spotted one by aggies back and the little orange and white one in the front of the first pic

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Congrats on your clear pond!
Ahh Priscilla I have high hopes for you next! Thanks for the advice on the fish
I still have no babies so I think you should be fine. The dragon fly nymph also eats babies and you can get the little 'tropical' fish in there to eat the babies as well.
What kind of fish do you have Nepen? I have lots of dragon fly so that makes me feel better.
but the little fat bellied ones are the fantails .They don't get very big .
And Sissy, how big? I am leaning toward Shubunkins since you said the Fantails aren't that fast. I want them to be able to duck and run if needed.

What about getting one of each? Will they get along and not breed?

Ask a Question