I'm finsidering

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nextdaykoi is selling small shubunkin for only about $3. Koitotheworld is now selling some nice Shubunkin on ebay.. I'm looking at one or two right now (since i lost several of my fish :( ) When you buy the big you can kinda guess if they are male or female by their body so you could get two male or two female

I'm actually coming here to ask if you've gotten the fish yet!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not yet Nepen, Petsmart said they were supposed to get some in today. I'll be calling later and either going today or Saturday to get them.
I guess I need to read up on how to acclimate them versus just flingin' 'em in the water...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not yet Nepen, Petsmart said they were supposed to get some in today. I'll be calling later and either going today or Saturday to get them.
I guess I need to read up on how to acclimate them versus just flingin' 'em in the water...

The good thing about getting them locally is the water chemistry that they are used to is most likely similar to your own. So other than making sure the water temperature is the same you should be set to go. Just float them in the pond in the bag they are packed in for about twenty minutes or so and then let them loose. Try not to get the water from the bag in your pond (that's the tricky part) I normally move the fish with my hands but if you are not comfortable with that then use a net.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Float the bag, add a small amount of your water over 20 min or so let them go.

The hatchery people say gf can handle a 15 degree change with out issues. They have been in the business for 40 years beautiful fish so they must be doing it right.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree on the temperature thing at least partly. Going from cooler water to warmer water is less dangerous than going from warmer to colder. You just don't want to shock the fish who are already somewhat stressed.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So I just got off the phone with them. They only have 3 and the guy said they weren't that pretty. Dang it. The other Petsmart is farther (they have more Shubunkins) but close to the rock store...
Things just went from not expensive to "oh crap"...

Ask a Question