In over my head, building a huge waterfall. Need pointers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Another set of rocks coming tomorrow…

View attachment 152385

View attachment 152386
Watch that type of rock I'm not sure of the technical name, but I have some here. I believe it's basalt very competent rock so hard it actually splits easily and when it does it can be very sharp. Great character died brown from soils on the outside but black where ever it chips or scratches.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You, sir, understood the assignment! This is going to be amazing! It’s incredible - once you see it, it’s like it was always there!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
What are you thinking with using the blocks on was it digging for a bog?
Yep. I've got an area for the bog all staked out. Just need to build some sort of framework on one side to hold the liner up (the other side is the garden wall). At the moment, my plan is to use milk crates (again) for the matrix blocks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a 25’ pondless. You might find the waterfall noise to be quite loud. Mine has about a 40” final drop and that is quite loud. Just a thought. Also the drop seems to work better when it’s more gradual.

Attachments

• 54CAE0A2-414E-46E5-897B-A360E27F8377.jpeg
    54CAE0A2-414E-46E5-897B-A360E27F8377.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep. I've got an area for the bog all staked out. Just need to build some sort of framework on one side to hold the liner up (the other side is the garden wall). At the moment, my plan is to use milk crates (again) for the matrix blocks.
With your fight for depth with the soils I'd just go the pvc and peastone bog

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
With your fight for depth with the soils I'd just go the pvc and peastone bog
For this one, no digging needed; the bottom is already where it needs to be. Just need to build up the sides to hold the liner. Going to be another unorthodox and questionable construction, but hey, that's what you expect of me, right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Naa I look at reality. it only has to last thirty years tops. That is unless your relation is reborn

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Watch that type of rock I'm not sure of the technical name, but I have some here. I believe it's basalt very competent rock so hard it actually splits easily and when it does it can be very sharp. Great character died brown from soils on the outside but black where ever it chips or scratches.
Depends where they are located in the country, if that rock is around the mid Atlantic where I am, that is granite, but either way both can have sharp edges.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, another update here. I have made quite a bit of progress. Had covid, sprained my wrist, and worked through it.

I have made even more progress but these are the most recent videos...

I have a couple of questions I am trying to define before I do too much more:

First: when to foam? My pooling areas are 4-12" deep. Since I placed rocks in, then backfilled behind the liner, the liner is hugged to the back of the rocks. I assume I need to foam that spot. I also assume it's best to foam then add cobble and river rock (1" cobble) to the pooling areas. Is this correct?

Second, In cases where I may want to raise or lower something a little, should I just try to run the water before actually doing it and then messing with it once I see how it is working? there are a few points where I can do a ton of work to "level" things but it will be tough to be perfect without seeing some of the water.

Third: what are your thoughts on seaming liner inside a pond? I think I can do about a 8'x10' pond, but its going to be tight. A way to fix that would be to add a piece of liner but I don't want to mess something up.... thoughts?

thanks all for your insight, getting there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First: when to foam? My pooling areas are 4-12" deep. Since I placed rocks in, then backfilled behind the liner, the liner is hugged to the back of the rocks. I assume I need to foam that spot. I also assume it's best to foam then add cobble and river rock (1" cobble) to the pooling areas. Is this correct?
yes foam before gravel. but you'll want to cut back fabric foam liner to rocks . for best results or install whats called a bib liner. you cut ruber to fit in the pooling area and around the boulders then foam everything all the joints and edges. Now one trick thats seperates the men from the boys is to let the foam skin over just a little and the take dust / small rocks/ dirt/ wood chunks or what have you and throw it place it push it into the foam what ever works best for you to get the foam covered and have it look More natural once you start playing with it you'll see what i'm talking about . you just don't want such big pieces to cut through the foam and ruin your bond

1" rock or larger maybe needed in the high current areas. some 3/8" in your calmer areas but mixing them up is a must having a pile of 3/8 there only and only one inch there looks un natural.

I would also think about how to make little beach areas for bird baths or other animals.

The liner when folding it up you want to roll it into the pond area or stream and where ever there is a fold and that area in under 2 inches from the top of the fold to the water level you'll want to seal that fold that can be an area that will wick water up and out of the area creating a leak . yes rubber that does not absorb water can suck it up 2 inches or more when in a fold quantum physics.
tough to be perfect without seeing some of the water.
Your always going to tinker with this sorry but the vidoes of how the pros do it is the best teacher in my eyes. BUT IF YOU START AT THE BOTTOM YOU CAN USE A BUCKET OR a second pump to help figure it out what size pump are you planning ?
Third: what are your thoughts on seaming liner inside a pond? I think I can do about a 8'x10' pond, but its going to be tight. A way to fix that would be to add a piece of liner but I don't want to mess something up.... thoughts?
From what i see your skills are more then capable of seaming the layout of the falls are coming along nicely. this will give you all you need except the hands and supplies to do it. i would recommend double or triple seaming as the last thing we ever want with big boulders is to be moving and redoing an area because a un for seen . https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/seaming-epdm-liner.26807/

Nice work Sir

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes foam before gravel. but you'll want to cut back fabric foam liner to rocks . for best results or install whats called a bib liner. you cut ruber to fit in the pooling area and around the boulders then foam everything all the joints and edges. Now one trick thats seperates the men from the boys is to let the foam skin over just a little and the take dust / small rocks/ dirt/ wood chunks or what have you and throw it place it push it into the foam what ever works best for you to get the foam covered and have it look More natural once you start playing with it you'll see what i'm talking about . you just don't want such big pieces to cut through the foam and ruin your bond

1" rock or larger maybe needed in the high current areas. some 3/8" in your calmer areas but mixing them up is a must having a pile of 3/8 there only and only one inch there looks un natural.

I would also think about how to make little beach areas for bird baths or other animals.

The liner when folding it up you want to roll it into the pond area or stream and where ever there is a fold and that area in under 2 inches from the top of the fold to the water level you'll want to seal that fold that can be an area that will wick water up and out of the area creating a leak . yes rubber that does not absorb water can suck it up 2 inches or more when in a fold quantum physics.
Your always going to tinker with this sorry but the vidoes of how the pros do it is the best teacher in my eyes. BUT IF YOU START AT THE BOTTOM YOU CAN USE A BUCKET OR a second pump to help figure it out what size pump are you planning ?
From what i see your skills are more then capable of seaming the layout of the falls are coming along nicely. this will give you all you need except the hands and supplies to do it. i would recommend double or triple seaming as the last thing we ever want with big boulders is to be moving and redoing an area because a un for seen . https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/seaming-epdm-liner.26807/

Nice work Sir
thanks a ton. High praise coming from you. For bib liners I thought it was if you wanted to eliminate deep pooling areas. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and try to make sure I am clear in my question.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lookin’ badass, sir. Second everything @GBBUDD said.

For bib liners I thought it was if you wanted to eliminate deep pooling areas.

They’re for better sealing areas difficult to get a good seal with only foam. Could be to eliminate a pooling area or to create one. Mostly to keep water going over the rocks instead of under them when you have a 100 spots to foam. Easier to cut a bib liner and just foam the edge of that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lookin’ badass, sir. Second everything @GBBUDD said.

They’re for better sealing areas difficult to get a good seal with only foam. Could be to eliminate a pooling area or to create one. Mostly to keep water going over the rocks instead of under them when you have a 100 spots to foam. Easier to cut a bib liner and just foam the edge of that.
when you have a ton of fabric sticking out from under the boulders the fabric will allow water through. placing the bib will sit ontop of it and allow for sealing to the rock and no leakers from the fabric

Ask a Question