In over my head, building a huge waterfall. Need pointers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Spray foam is great for larger spaces, but for a tight cuts around the rocks that have been cleaned!!!! . I prefer caulking it's a better product won't fall apart in the sun and can be WATERPROOF not just divert water

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spray foam is great for larger spaces, but for a tight cuts around the rocks that have been cleaned!!!! . I prefer caulking it's a better product won't fall apart in the sun and can be WATERPROOF not just divert water
What kind of Caulking are we talking about?
Lookin’ badass, sir. Second everything @GBBUDD said.

They’re for better sealing areas difficult to get a good seal with only foam. Could be to eliminate a pooling area or to create one. Mostly to keep water going over the rocks instead of under them when you have a 100 spots to foam. Easier to cut a bib liner and just foam the edge of that.
Thanks @combatwombat If either of us is up this way or down your way we should drink a beer by our respective features...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I recommend m1 THE Loctite S30 that is popular here i used it this past spring and it has a 7 hour skin time . sorry I'm not that patient. Loctite makes a great product but after using these both I'd go with the m-1 https://www.invertersupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=199312 it is not effected by moist conditions , its a structural caulk " strong as an ox , and it has a 35% flex much like rubber. it also has a low leachable factor.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You’ll have to remind me where exactly you are. Puget Sound area? I’ll send a DM next time I’m headed your way. Feel free to do the same next time you’re in the Portland area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@combatwombat ya just north of Seattle by 20min.

Ok, I have an update:

Got the rest of the sidestream finished as well as added a rockery/space to plant more plants. Tomorrow getting rid of dirt and digging the pond...

I do have a couple of questions about doing bibb liners. Basically: I have bends and folds in the liner in pooling areas. How do I bibb over the top of those?

IMG_1006.jpg
IMG_1007.jpg

I clearly have to do some cleaning before bibbing but once things are in a cleaner shape, how do I bibb over the folds and creases?

ideas?

thanks all. Its amazing to have a place to ask questions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The objective here is to direct the water push as much as you can over or between the rocks .

THE SECOND PHOTO I would advise the investment of the plastic pattern maker you see on line and tv the you push plastic pins to fit and mimic what ever your trying to duplicate.

have the bib slip on top of the fabric but slide under the rock on the left Be it caulking or foam it matters not under that overhand its probably a place for foam

the fold in the middle id pack with caulking or foam . lay the rubber over it and blast it with the foam between the rocks back to the next rock or liner. AGAIN I WOULD ALSO PLACE GRAVEL SAND ETC on the foam or caulk to make it look natural.'

The main reason for a bib there is to stop water from getting to and under the fabric and under the rocks so the energy you push stay on top of the falls and not under

THE FIRST PHOTO IS ANOTHER REASON FOR A BIB THE FIRST PHOTO ONE WAY TO attack it would be to fill the lower areas with sand or gravel make it more even . or not if you looking for some depth in the pool
between the rocks on the right i'd leave a tail of rubber so you can stuff it between them and then foam closing off flow .
just remember you don't want the rubber to be structural and supoorting a water pocket but more its controling and directing the water . to big a ppoll being supoted by rubber and a air pocket below will rip at the seal and or tear.
Screenshot_20220731-184443_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok. That sounds like a good call. I hear you that ot shouldn’t support anything or be structural…

I will think this out and get into it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I should also mention you will need to buy a pro gun for the foam. using the cans without and just using a straw is a NIGHTMARE. THE PRO GUN WHEN YOU LET GO OF THE TRIGGER THE FOAM STOPS . even if you use up all the foam in a tube leave the tube on the gun . it is the pro trick to not having to THOUGROUGHLY CLEAN THE GUN. Sorry my typing is rough but this dang game keyboard makes it even worse

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok quick update and question. Larger update to follow.

I am wrapping up the plumbing for my skimmer and have a few questions:
1. I still need a 22.5 angle to connect it but this will be hard pipe all the way to the pump, how will I get the pump out if there is an issue?
2. I am going with gentler 45deg corners but its this to many corners?
3. anything I am missing before I glue all this up?

thanks all

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1. I still need a 22.5 angle to connect it but this will be hard pipe all the way to the pump, how will I get the pump out if there is an issue?
INSTALL A UNION oR TWO and i would also go as far as to add some flex pvc " {not kink free}"
2. I am going with gentler 45deg corners but its this to many corners?
45 elbows though more of them have less drag. look at it like a car you can only go so fast at a 90 degree corner but you can double the speed in a 45 degree corner

mark your piping with a permanent marker a straight line from the elbow to the pipe that way you only have to line them up again to know they are in the right orientation. numbering them can help as well

pictures say more than words what size pipe did you use

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am not super experienced, certainly not with the plumbing! (Husband did that.) But I remember instead of 45 degree pieces, we got PVC "sweeps." I doubt they are much different than the 45 degree angles but they are smooth curves rather than angled bends. Just throwing that out there if your store is out of anything you need. The sweeps worked well, too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not super experienced, certainly not with the plumbing! (Husband did that.) But I remember instead of 45 degree pieces, we got PVC "sweeps." I doubt they are much different than the 45 degree angles but they are smooth curves rather than angled bends. Just throwing that out there if your store is out of anything you need. The sweeps worked well, too.
SWEEPS ARE ELONGATED elbows and yes a good choice they round the corners by stretching them out . Like i have said before look at it as you are the water but in your car. turning from a speed of 55 into a road that is a 90 degree your speed has no choice but to be slowed down to make the corner. Now take that speed of 55 but now your turning onto the off ramp on a highway to make a 90 degree turn but it is stretched out your speed can be kept at 55.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, my friends. The winter was cold and crappy. Turns out the system holds water because every time it rained the entire thing became a collection funnel and it all filled up the pond a bunch of times. Had to pump it out every few weeks.

Anyway. I spent late April and May foaming, finishing (almost), generally cleaning up the stray liner and other things that needed to be cleaned.

Figured I show you the current status. IT WORKS. I was nervous turning it on the first time.

Now to the notes:
1. the bottom two sets of drops are not complete at all. They aren't holding water yet. So disregard.
2. I might need an extra pump to push water only a little up and drop it in mid-way
3. I do have a few. leaks I am working on
4. The pond needs to be MUCH bigger.

I am going to have questions but for the moment I just wanted to share an update.

Ask a Question