Inexpensive Sieve Filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm planning to build a diy sieve filter because I have been unable to find anything reasonable for sale that isn't 1K or more. 1K seems much too expensive for a sloped screen in a box.

I've already sketched out a design that I like, but before I order parts and start building this, is anyone aware of an inexpensive sieve filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
just DIY and post up the video build; then YOU'LL be the one who knows of an inexpensive sieve filter!!! And of course, we'll direct ALL inquiries then to you!

(see what I did there @addy1 ? Taking more and more off your shoulders!! Can I get that doubling of salary now???)

DIY is almost always better as YOU control the quality of materials and labor. Unless you're one of those LAPers. :p:p

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did research on sieve filters many years ago, but never pursued the thought. They are fascinating, but I think they work best with an external filter, BD, and all that good stuff. I just have a simple pond with a submerged filter. All I really recall is that there is a special kind of mesh to use, and it comes in different sizes: both of these stats, if they aren’t followed will lead to an ineffective filter. IOW, it’s more than a sloped screen in a box. Lots of YouTube DIY videos out there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t know of one, but there is lots of discussion on koiphen about it.

Believe most of the materials cost is in the stainless steel screen. It’s expensive stuff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen a few where they have a vat. The pvc pipe comes up to the top of the vat . It has lots of holes in it and the used Panty hose as the filter . Now is this a pressurized micron filter nope is it going to remove particles from the water yup.. will it clog? Oh yea but all traditional filters need maintenance.

Ask a Question