Iris in pond?

Reaction score
I'm new to ponds and noticed that some people have Iris' in their ponds. Are these the same type of Iris' that are in my garden? If so, how do I plant some in the pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can put them in kitty litter, the pure clay stuff, just stick in rocks, or put in pea gravel. Mine in the kitty litter do the best.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Need to try and make sure they are La. iris or water loving Iris, Dutch, Siberian, fancy, and some of the others do not do well submerged in water.

Reaction score
How can you tell what kind of iris they are? I have plenty to spare that I have moved from an old garden. I was having trouble finding space for all of them. Maybe I will just try with one or two.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tend to just stick plants in the bog or pond and see how they do. You might be surprised.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hard to tell the difference until they bloom, You can plant some in a pot and place in water, if they start growing leaves from them leave in the water and monitor them. If they start yellowing remove and they will come back out, Nice thing about Iris's of all types, they are pretty tough and forgiving.

Ask a Question