Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
addy1 said:
Our green frogs take two years to morph. So they might not get legs until next year.
Yeah, I read that online. I'm trying to keep a light on near their container to keep the water temp. up, not to mention feeding them lots of algae and lettuce to hopefully speed up the process since many can change in the first year. If not, it'll be fine to put them out next year. I'm just hoping they don't change during winter. Not sure what I'd be able to do then.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have so many frogs the neighbors are starting to complain and since we have been getting lots of rain there are more than ever .VA is for frog lovers :cheerful:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy said:
wow that long addy
They get pretty big, the tads, a little smaller than the bull frog tad. I find the tads in the pond late fall, way to late to morph, most of the little tads have or are morphing

sissy said:
We have so many frogs the neighbors are starting to complain and since we have been getting lots of rain there are more than ever .VA is for frog lovers :cheerful:
lol say just part of nature. They don't make anti croaking collars.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We started with seven Shubunkin about five years ago. We still have six, but I'm not sure how many are the original ones. I know three are definitely off-spring! Here are some images that will explain why these are not original!

View attachment 56650
The off-spring are the ones pointed to by the arrows. The originals were all like the other three fish in this pic, multi-colored. I believe the largest fish in this image is one of a pair we called the 'Blues Brothers' because they were almost identical and had lots of blue coloring.
The two off-spring showed up last year. I call the smaller one an 'albino' but it is actually more flesh colored. The other one is not really black but a brownish/grey-black. Not particularly pretty as far as color but it has larger, more flowing fins than it's more colorful parents/cousins!

View attachment 56651
This is the last of the off-spring, also appeared last year. It has the same huge, flowing fins but about a dozen colored spots to 'prove' it's lineage!​

View attachment 56652
Another view of the muddy-buddy. Its only additional color is on the leading edges of what I think are the pelvic fins.​
I assume this is simply the predominant colorings coming out. OTOH, all the three(?) other off-spring have been the 'normal' Shubunkin coloring. Or are they just 'flukes?!' Or, worse yet, caused by poor water/pond maintenance!

We have also had two non-Shubunkins grow up in the pond. I assume they were simply minnows or minnow eggs brought in from birds/frogs from some large ponds within 500 to 1,000 feet of our pond. Our back yard connects to ~140 acres of undeveloped land with at least three large ponds. Across our street the homes back up to a large golf course with additional large ponds. the end of our street (~1,000') is a city park with a very large and fish-stocked lake.
Wondering if you're still around the forum, and what your Shubes are looking like now that a year has passed.

Reaction score
Yep! I'm still around! :) We lost one of my "Blues Brothers" pair last year. But all the remaining five made it through the rather mild Winter. I think they even grew a little!

I'm trying to be more patient on the water clearing up. It's still fairly green, yet. But the Iris that finally bloomed a little last year has absolutely exploded this Spring! Counted 36 buds at one point! I had divided the originally pot-bound plant between two slightly larger pots. Left one in the pond over Winter and it has bloomed like crazy. The other one stay 'feet-dry' (as we used to say when flying out to sea in 'Nam) and didn't do nearly as well. DOH! Dry feet are OK but frozen ones not so much! :banghead: They'll both stay wet next Fall/Winter.

I havent seen any tadpoles but I did remove several dozen eggs early this month. I have a "pre-filter" made out of a laundry basket wrapped in synthetic batting. That keeps most of the tiny matter (and the fish!) out of the pump intake, so I don't think the tads will be any problem. :eek:

Here's what the Iris looked like early one morning.
Iris-2014-05-16-7am_zps69552ad7.jpg

By Noon, it had become like this...
Iris-2014-05-16-2pm_zps0030150d.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep! I'm still around! :) We lost one of my "Blues Brothers" pair last year. But all the remaining five made it through the rather mild Winter. I think they even grew a little!

I'm trying to be more patient on the water clearing up. It's still fairly green, yet. But the Iris that finally bloomed a little last year has absolutely exploded this Spring! Counted 36 buds at one point! I had divided the originally pot-bound plant between two slightly larger pots. Left one in the pond over Winter and it has bloomed like crazy. The other one stay 'feet-dry' (as we used to say when flying out to sea in 'Nam) and didn't do nearly as well. DOH! Dry feet are OK but frozen ones not so much! :banghead: They'll both stay wet next Fall/Winter.

I havent seen any tadpoles but I did remove several dozen eggs early this month. I have a "pre-filter" made out of a laundry basket wrapped in synthetic batting. That keeps most of the tiny matter (and the fish!) out of the pump intake, so I don't think the tads will be any problem. :eek:

Here's what the Iris looked like early one morning.
Iris-2014-05-16-7am_zps69552ad7.jpg

By Noon, it had become like this...
Iris-2014-05-16-2pm_zps0030150d.jpg

VERY lovely -- what a spot for a morning cup of coffee...!

No, I was curious about your Shubunkins and what their colors have turned out to be. I had some fish spawn a month or so ago, and about half of the fry that I "rescued" are looking like they will be Shubes, but nothing spectacular or fancy as far as colors & patterns. I have some Shubies in my pond, but also a mixture of other GF, so no idea who the parents are.

Reaction score
Beautiful and lovely lilies too :)
No credit deserved here! Just a miracle of God right in my backyard! (y) I don't even provide the water! It just falls out of the sky! :D

How 'bout some pictures of the "kids" and a few of the "adults". Maybe we can figure out who their parents are! OTOH, I'm not sure where the genes for the varied colors are obvious! Back in post #12, shakaho asked if we'd like some genetics info. Maybe she could help out here?! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hi lovely pics whats the size of pond and fishes , fishes seem to b around 10 inch?, i actualy love ur black one with gold streaks it seems rare to me! , i had shubs-sarasa they had all kinds of mixed genes , i had same offsrpting as u have but all were distributed , 5 were sarasa pure 5 grey(in which 2 turned orange and one turned yellow which seems rare too i havent seen this bright yellow on google yet . 2remained dark olive grey) 5 white 5 orange ... from my observation and experience , they wud change colour until year or 6 months then they wud probably remain same , its intsresting these shubs , one i had was black then it turned yellow then turned orange lol amazing , ihv few with striking red and snowwhite they look best , had one blue which turned red white , had one moonlight with black it was rare but died , was pretty , had one orange and black it died too was rare , i think u will have always mixed fry , u may not b able to control genetics in few generations , they will still remain , u may reduce it by removing white and gray ones after an year dont give fry , they may change colour within a year or so ., direct sunliggt for 3+ hours and green algae which grows on walls is good for colors .. it may not effect total change but it will make existing colours brighter like orange wud become dark orange or red . i did experiment , once in spawning i put banana leaves on all the pond that they didnt had much sun , when i removed they lost colour became duller
i never had that much survival rate after 1st spawn in which i had around 30s , later i had fy in 3s 2s in which i had sarasa more and 10% greay ones , which may convert later on ,, some white i saw they had red marks with time , most beautiful r the ones with red on whith , they look good in pond's dark background , im not able to find answer why eggs r not fertilizing as much as the 1st time , i even see eggs but they dont hatch in great number , what can b problem?,,,

Attachments

• ScreenShot1401.jpg
    ScreenShot1401.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 216
  • ScreenShot1361.jpg
    ScreenShot1361.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 220

Ask a Question