New pond in my future?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We are currently planning on extending our concrete patio by a significant amount so that we will have more outdoor entertaining space. Our original plan was to put a fire pit at the end of the extended patio but I casually mentioned having a small water garden instead. To my surprise that idea changed rather quickly to building an identical 4’x8’ pond on the other end to make it “symmetrical”. After I looked at the dimensions of the space I convinced my wife that I had enough room for a pond that was about 8’x8’. If the water depth is about 2.5 feet like my current pond the final volume should be a little over 1000 gallons. With adequate filtration (and a lot of plants in my raised bog) I might be able to have a few koi finally!? This most likely won’t happen until next summer at the earliest since we’ll be busy finising the raised flower beds along the sides and back of the yard and having the patio poured and sod placed. Here’s the rough sketch of the current patio and pond with the new patio and future pond.

F4E184CE-8B98-4BCB-8A61-476D8AE553BE.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I texted the picture to the wife (the boss) and of all things she didn't quite like about it can you guess what it was??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Mmathis , very close.. it's on that end of the picture. She doesn't like how the new pond sticks out passed the end of the house. I was careful not to make the old pond stick out past it and I'm just estimating that for it to be 8'x8' it might stick out around 6" to 1' past the end. Of course, this all depends on where the actual patio extension ends to determine how many feet I have to work with to keep it from sticking out too far. She's so particular about things lining up just right.. but then again I'm a bit OCD myself so I can't complain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you missed a line - the one that would go from old pond to new pond in front of the patio and make it all ONE GIANT POND! Imagine it... a small footbridge to cross over... your fish swimming from one end to the other... I can see it now!

Then you could have koi!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@ShawnInfirmity yay more pond building to watch! Wow neat idea, @Lisak1
Wonder if his wife would go for that one. What you have to do is make her think it was her idea somehow :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Haha, @Lisak1 and @j.w isn't that how it always works? I have been saying for a long time that we just need to make the raised beds out of landscape timbers since it's cheaper and it would match my pond anyway but like usual it took the wife weeks to come around and by then it was her idea. ;)

I don't think she'd go for a fish bridge, but then again I wasn't thinking she would go for a second/larger pond on the other end of the patio either so maybe there's a chance!? :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha, @Lisak1 and @j.w isn't that how it always works? I have been saying for a long time that we just need to make the raised beds out of landscape timbers since it's cheaper and it would match my pond anyway but like usual it took the wife weeks to come around and by then it was her idea. ;)

I don't think she'd go for a fish bridge, but then again I wasn't thinking she would go for a second/larger pond on the other end of the patio either so maybe there's a chance!? :LOL:
It's all in the delivery, At this point the Mrs would just like to have grass again

Ask a Question