Jebao CF-10,20 and 30 Owners Read!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hey Guys and Gals, I have a Jebao CF-10 13w UV Pressurized filter I bought A little over a year ago, and It has started leaking. I took it all apart last night, Cleaned every part and replaced the UV Bulb as well. I found the source from where it was leaking and it is the to inlet-outlet slide that is leaking. I cleaned all of the sand and debris stuck behind it and cleaned the rubber oiled gasket that allow it to slide for maintenance while still creating a "Watertight" seal. After putting it back together it leaked right off the bat just as bad as it did before from the same place :mad: I would not say it is a cheap filter or made from thin cheap plastic, but the design is flawed. It says it has a 2 year warranty on the box, but I can't find the paperwork or know where to file a warranty replacement? If I can't get it replaced I will just Marine seal it and not use the backflush part. Just wanted to let everyone know who has one these 3 filters. :)
BIO%20UV%20Pressurized%20Pond%20Filter%20%20JEBAO%20CF-10.jpg

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I recommend you goggle your product, find a distributor and buy the worn out part. In the mean time go to an automotive parts store and buy a small sheet of gasket material. Using the old gasket as a pattern make a new gasket. If the "slide" is worn thin remove it, locate the worn section. Ruffen up the worn area using semi-corse sandpaper. Apply two part apoxy to resurface the slide to the appropriate thickness. After the apoxy is cured reshape the slide to original shape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Biglou, there are only a couple of scratches on the piece, definitely not worn down, nor are the gaskets. You have to use a bit of force when putting the slide back on as there is a groove that holds the top and bottom against the face of the filter, I believe that the slide itself is bent or bowed in the middle from use or heat getting to it? I will try to get a replacement part and I put an email in to Jebao as it states the warranty is not up yet, but says "Limited". Thanks a bunch on the Gasket sheets referral, I never thought about that! I could use it to make my own bulkhead gaskets too! Will keep you posted if they will replace it :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I had the same type of problem with mine as well. I did not have that same product, but it was one of Laguna's "all in one with UV" type of deals that is not much different the Jebao product you are referencing.

Problem with mine was that my strap was bent very slight, not much at all, and so this caused it to leak. I eventually had to use some sealer on it and then cut the sealer whenever I needed to remove the strap. I could not find any replacement parts for them as well so I just junked into the trash can.

These devices are nice for particulate filtration for maybe a year or longer if lucky, but they do not last long.

These type of devices are the cheapest of the cheap type of products that pond equipment manufacturers try to sell to "newbies" for a quick buck. I even got suckered into using one.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Jason - I have one and the same problem. Very bad design. I managed to get mine to seal by filling it and letting it sit before turning the pump back on. I never use the backflush feature anymore, just open the lid and clean. Seems all the Jebao products are poorly made.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yeah, not happy with Customer Support either. Most pressurized filters have problems with the clamps or Straps (like Charles stated) breaking or bending, but this filter's face is what seems to be the problem when I look at your post and others online instead of the lid. This weekend I am going to seal the shift face to the container face after lining the holes up and do the same you are now, just not use the backflush. I can vouch for their pumps though, they are really cheap but very easy to take apart and durable too. I really mainly want to just use the 13w UV that is built into it until I can afford the 55w for the new pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have 3 of these filters and have had problems with the slide mechanism too. I rang UK vendors Discount Leisure and they were very helpful. Sold me a replacement slider. However I found out that the problem is caused by the cover which holds the slide in place. This MUST be in absolutely the right position to hold the slider in tight proximity to the head body face. I suffered the problem when replacing the light bulb which should be done annually. I find it helps if you lube the O rings with vaseline make sure everything is clean and then when replacing the top cover (but before tightening the screws fully) move the slider from one side to the other to make sure it is really "in the groove" I sometimes feel a click as it clicks into place when doing this.

Reaction score
Pressure filters for ponds are a bad idea from the get go. They usually try to incorporate both mechanical filter elements (filter pads) and biological filter elements in the same small container, but in reality they are generally too small to hold a sufficient amount bio-filtration material for most ponds, even if all the mechanical filtration material was removed. Also the foam pads that they generally use for mechanical filtration are very difficult to clean. The one pressure filter that I owned years ago required removal of the pads to clean them, and had to be hand washed and wringed. To get them clean enough that the water runs out clean when wringed takes an awful lot of wringing and rinsing. It is very doubtful you could ever achieve that with a built in backwash plunger. You'd have to really do a lot of pushing of the plunger, and in the process inevitably wear out the seal of the plunger.
Leaky seals is a common problem to many brands of pressure filters. (mine eventually leaked too) Taking that into account, and the fact that they are lousy filter systems to begin with and generally quite expensive for what they actually do, the best thing to do is avoid them completely and build your own filters if you are able to.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Pressure filters for ponds are a bad idea from the get go. They usually try to incorporate both mechanical filter elements (filter pads) and biological filter elements in the same small container, but in reality they are generally too small to hold a sufficient amount bio-filtration material for most ponds, even if all the mechanical filtration material was removed. Also the foam pads that they generally use for mechanical filtration are very difficult to clean. The one pressure filter that I owned years ago required removal of the pads to clean them, and had to be hand washed and wringed. To get them clean enough that the water runs out clean when wringed takes an awful lot of wringing and rinsing. It is very doubtful you could ever achieve that with a built in backwash plunger. You'd have to really do a lot of pushing of the plunger, and in the process inevitably wear out the seal of the plunger.
Leaky seals is a common problem to many brands of pressure filters. (mine eventually leaked too) Taking that into account, and the fact that they are lousy filter systems to begin with and generally quite expensive for what they actually do, the best thing to do is avoid them completely and build your own filters if you are able to.

This is probably true of most of the smaller units being offered. The larger pressurized bead filters however will do quite a satisfactory job of bio-filtration. Separate mechanical filtration is always advised to be used in conjunction with these filters.

Reaction score
This is probably true of most of the smaller units being offered. The larger pressurized bead filters however will do quite a satisfactory job of bio-filtration. Separate mechanical filtration is always advised to be used in conjunction with these filters.

Yeah, I was gona mention something about that, but I got lazy. ;)
But as you know most of these little pressure filters have foam pads in them, and although foam pads do work well for mechanically filtering the water, they are hard to clean once they get dirty, and even more so when they are in sealed units like that. You want your mechanical filtration to be easily accessible and/or easy to clean, and that generally means keeping it separate and in front of any bio-filtration.
I know that they use large professional pressure filters at places like Vancouver Aquarium (where they keep whales and sharks). But they are just used to house Bio-media, definitely not foam pads. :p

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yep, these combo pressure filters are definitely for those pond owners that not only love working around their pond, but are addicted to it.

Ask a Question