Joining two preformed pond shells

Reaction score
Country
United States
We recently had the opportunity to get two medium to large preformed pond shells for free. We have tested these and they are leak free. I'd like to make a larger pond system and was thinking of connecting them with some sort of bulkhead fitting below the water level in each shell, with a pipe/hose between the two. Ideally it would be like 4-6 inches in diameter, allowing a tunnel for fish to swim between, as well as connecting the water systems for flow.

Does anyone know if this could be done? I've looked for fittings but only found things in the 2 inch range. Are there larger ones for this purpose? for reference, something like this...
1689004817410.png

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Scott

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
They are out there, get expensive in the larger sizes.

Are your performs the thin molded black plastic ones designed to be dug in to the ground? If so, they can be prone to cracking, especially in a freeze/thaw environment and I doubt drilling large holes in them would be good in the long run since there can be strain at the fitting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

I'm with @JRS - those preforms aren't really designed for drilling holes. They're also a bit of a pain to install as they need to be leveled and supported properly or they'll crack. You may get a couple of seasons out of them. An EPDM liner is infinitely easier to work with - it fits the hole you dig rather than vice versa. I know you got these for free, but they may not even be worth what you paid for them - haha!

Ask a Question