Just ordered a pond breather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
kinda lovin' our new pond breather.

how were people's experience with them last winter?

pond017.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I Had one in each pond. Both froze over completely. No fish looses. They work well 3rd year using them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm pleasantly surprised on how durable they are.
I just hose them off each spring and put them in the barn. I clean out the water tubes in the spring, plug them in and they work no problem.
I expect the pump in them will fail sooner or later but I think I'm on my 4th year with mine now.
I run 2 breathers just in case one fails, but I have an unusually long winter season with ice cover.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just ordered one of these. I used to run an ice melter all year long. Should I keep any air stones running as well or is the breather sufficient?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mitch in Canada runs, two, just in case one fails, his pond freezes deep.

I run just the breather in the 1000 gallon pond, a breather and a very small pump in the big pond. Breather in the deep, the small pump in the shallow end 25 feet apart. Probably don't need the small pump, but it keeps some open water for the birds to drink.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I use a Pond Breather and an aerator. I don't use my large aerator, I use in the summer, but rather a smaller one. I suspend 4 small airstones around the pond, about a foot into the water.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I would not use it for my really big 25 year old koi and/or during really extreme weather myself, as I am in Canada, but down south it should be fine for most folks. I have big heater and water circulates from pond to pond all winter.

Mitch has really big pond and does not have koi so it seems to work good for him.
If you have really big fish and smaller pond with extreme cold weather I would check on them constantly...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Do larger fish require more oxygen, than smaller ones? I've always believed that, but not sure it's a fact.

Generally speaking, big fish need a larger volume of oxygen but as long as the dissolved oxygen content stays at a healthy level and good gas exchange occurs, there will be no problem.

Ask a Question