Just the Kids Feeding the Fish...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So last year, during the summer, I decided to build a large enough pond to basically hold rain water which would be used to irrigate my lawn once I installed that system. I decided to get some fish to keep any critters in the water from developing into full mosquitos. That and I thought it would be neat to have some fish to watch swim. The kids said they would love to 'fish for them'. I didn't think I would enjoy the pond as much as I do. And more importantly, I didn't think my kids would be so in love with it.

It has turned into an important thing to them (and me). Every day it is "Can we go and feed the fish?". Or "check on the frogs", "look for toads", "check on the tadpoles", "see if the ducks are back"... It has been a great opportunity to spend time with the children each day (sometimes hours!) by the pond. We will sit on the dock I built, hanging the feet in the water and watching the fish beg for food or even letting them nibble on the feet. Though the kids are not to sure about that yet.

I know me growing up, I was outside all the time. I chased and caught every type of reptile and amphibian I could. Being outside with them is always a great time to teach them anything/everything I know about wildlife and they are enjoying every minute of it (me included). They ask so many questions and I just love helping them understand and learn everything. I took this picture to remind me in the future just how much time we spend sitting on the dock. We talk about everything we see and what is going on. Great great times and wouldn't give it up for anything!

Please disregard the liner and mess. Last year was the year to dig, install and get that pond system going! It was also stocking the fish and obviously learning the ins and outs. On top of that, it was also trenching 1" poly pipe for the irrigation system including installing all the underground piping for the pond (to bog, from pond to irrigation pump, from house to irrigation bypass, etc).

This year is the year of the landscaping. I've been buying loads of rocks/stones, plants, etc. Hopefully in the next few months, I can have the liner all covered/hidden and create a more natural boundary. Rock isn't cheap though and the labor isn't easy. But I'm working on it!

Thought I would share!

IMG_20230611_203047.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pull the liner forward, dig a shallow shelf, a bit below water level to put rocks on. Up and out of the pond. A great way to hide it. Not a ton of work. Do one section at a time.

Great picture!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As mentioned HIDING THE LINER IS NOT ALL THAT HARD WHEN YOU KNOW THE TRICK. Drain the water down about 6 inches to a foot depending on the size of your rocks that you want to see around the pond.

So if your rocks are 12x 12" then make a 6 inch deep shelf all the way around the pond . that the liner will drop down into and up to where your now ground level is. Use the diggings from the shelf to create a berm all around the pond . that way you keep water from draining into the pond. waste like grass clippings fertilizers etc are bad for ponds. fold the liner back toward the rock and push the dirt up against the rocks . you now have 6 inches of evaporation before you see the liner again and if you think about it when building the shelf you can make places for the frogs to hide giving hours of hunting for the kids.

Welcome to the best part of life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So on the left is what maybe 75% of my pond is. On the right, I have some areas like that. Where that ledge is on the inside portion of the perm (in the pond) and I can set some larger boulders on. The one on the right is what your describing (for the most part)? Basically make it down far enough so water level would rarely go lower and possibly expose the liner. My water fluctuates probably 6-8", depending on how much I irrigate and when it rains again. I could handle a little liner now and then though.

But then I would have larger rocks to sit on that ledge and then some smaller ones on top, stacking outside of the pond to continue covering.

Do you all tuck the liner back in the dirt then on the outside? That is where I have it tucked now. I would have to pull that back out, dig up under to make a 'ledge', create a small berm on the outside and then re-tuck that liner (if I have enough). I may have to have the rocks hold some of it in place. But I think I left enough rolled up around the edges.

liner_cover_idea.jpg

How the rocks would go (not as round obviously or will roll back in pond... but you get the idea...)
rock_layout.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you have the idea . two things the liner should be folded back toward the rock so its inside the pond behind the rock. this is to stop wicking.
two there are an endless amount of ways to do what you asking about . some need more attention then others. ONHE THING THAT IS NOT SHOWN OFTEN IS PITCHING THE SHELF AWAY FROM THE DEEPTH OF THE POND THIS WILL HELP KEEP YOUR ROCKS ON THE SHELF AND NOT FALLING TO THE BOTTOM. THE BLACK AND WHITE SECOND DOWN ON THE LEFT IS A GOOD EXAMPLE. The last B&W IS A BAD EXAMPLE AS THERE'S NOTHING TO HOLD THE GRAVEL AND IF YOU HAVE KOI or kids those rocks will be at the bottom of the pond in no time

1687011754664.png
1687011776793.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So you would just end the liner behind the rocks? Basically laying the rocks on top of the liner?

Now, I have extra liner rolled up into a trench. I read to do that so the water doesn't absorb up around the pond rim and cause instability with the dirt? But I guess if water soaks in during raining around, the rocks would probably keep most things in place.

I'll just build it up slightly with the liner just coming down on the other side. Rocks would cover it all. This way water runs away from the pond and very little dirt would wash back in. Hopefully that makes sense.

I started with my lowest side where I have my spillway setup. This drains into a large catch basin so no erosion takes place. It goes underground to a dry riverbed at the back of the property where all the water kind of collects during heavy rains. I'm building it all up and evening it out so I can probably get another 8" or so in the pond. I start building the lip and placed a few rocks so far to see how it'll hold up. I obviously need a ton more field stones and will work on getting them int he next few weeks. As I pull the liner up, create the ledge and then add additional dirt where needed to keep things level, I'll start placing in the larger rocks on the lip. Then adding a few rocks on top/towards the outside of the pond to hold everything in place. This includes the dirt I'm adding under the underlayment fabric. Rocks will keep the weight so when the water level decreases, that dirt doesn't collapse. Though I don't think it would anyway. Better safe!

Once I can confirm all the leveling is good and the pond fills up to the top (AND spillway works as expected), I'll start adding more rocks around to completely hide the liner. I'm hoping this all gives me even more gallons of pond and more natural look.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So you would just end the liner behind the rocks? Basically laying the rocks on top of the liner?

Now, I have extra liner rolled up into a trench. I read to do that so the water doesn't absorb up around the pond rim and cause instability with the dirt? But I guess if water soaks in during raining around, the rocks would probably keep most things in place.

I'll just build it up slightly with the liner just coming down on the other side. Rocks would cover it all. This way water runs away from the pond and very little dirt would wash back in. Hopefully that makes sense.

I started with my lowest side where I have my spillway setup. This drains into a large catch basin so no erosion takes place. It goes underground to a dry riverbed at the back of the property where all the water kind of collects during heavy rains. I'm building it all up and evening it out so I can probably get another 8" or so in the pond. I start building the lip and placed a few rocks so far to see how it'll hold up. I obviously need a ton more field stones and will work on getting them int he next few weeks. As I pull the liner up, create the ledge and then add additional dirt where needed to keep things level, I'll start placing in the larger rocks on the lip. Then adding a few rocks on top/towards the outside of the pond to hold everything in place. This includes the dirt I'm adding under the underlayment fabric. Rocks will keep the weight so when the water level decreases, that dirt doesn't collapse. Though I don't think it would anyway. Better safe!

Once I can confirm all the leveling is good and the pond fills up to the top (AND spillway works as expected), I'll start adding more rocks around to completely hide the liner. I'm hoping this all gives me even more gallons of pond and more natural look.
your getting the idea but once the stone work starts it does anything BUT give more gallons far less in most cases i probably lost 10th the volume

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm hoping more or break even. I'll be able to fill the pond up another 7 out 8 inches. At least I think. Displacement is a fun thing though... Haha

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you have the idea . two things the liner should be folded back toward the rock so its inside the pond behind the rock. this is to stop wicking.
two there are an endless amount of ways to do what you asking about . some need more attention then others. ONHE THING THAT IS NOT SHOWN OFTEN IS PITCHING THE SHELF AWAY FROM THE DEEPTH OF THE POND THIS WILL HELP KEEP YOUR ROCKS ON THE SHELF AND NOT FALLING TO THE BOTTOM. THE BLACK AND WHITE SECOND DOWN ON THE LEFT IS A GOOD EXAMPLE. The last B&W IS A BAD EXAMPLE AS THERE'S NOTHING TO HOLD THE GRAVEL AND IF YOU HAVE KOI or kids those rocks will be at the bottom of the pond in no time

View attachment 158258View attachment 158259

@GBBUDD please make a thread in pond construction, called pond edging, hiding the liner or something like that. I will make it a sticky

I tried to copy into a new thread all I am getting is a error.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Believe it or not I'm thinking about the next addition to the pond. " Shocker"

It would be nice to have some visuals like I did for seaming. I'll work on it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Start with that great visual you did above for the edge. I think it is somewhere, but this way found right away at the top of a thread about edging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
(joke....do not do.... do not recommend)

And for those that want to take the easy way out ... just spray the liner!

spray_paint.jpg

Ask a Question