K1 position in filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , im setting up a new pond, I've had a 4 bay kockney koi filter for tge needs pond . I've got brushes and plenty and of k1 from the old filter , I believe k1 is usual positioned at the end off a filter , I was planing on having one chamber brushes , one chamber foam and 2 Chambers k1 , my question is can I make the first chamber k1 so I can use the filter flow to fluidis it , then brushes 2nd chamber , foam chamber 3, static k1 chamber 4 and then back to the pond , what is the down side off biolgical filtration with the fluidised bed first

Many thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry mate i can only guess your foam should be the mechanical that grabs the heavy particles . the brushes can go both ways they can be a area for bacteria to grow on or they can be a filter grabbing the big stuff. and the k1 is now used in the tempest as a polisher.

so for me i'd do brushes to grab the big stuff the foam to grab the little and the k1 to finish it off as a biological filter and polisher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry mate i can only guess your foam should be the mechanical that grabs the heavy particles . the brushes can go both ways they can be a area for bacteria to grow on or they can be a filter grabbing the big stuff. and the k1 is now used in the tempest as a polisher.

so for me i'd do brushes to grab the big stuff the foam to grab the little and the k1 to finish it off as a biological filter and polisher
Do you think the 2 bays off k1 at the end off the filter would be efficient enough if left static , or is it worth the extra expense off an air pump to fluidise it ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That works both ways fluidizing it makes for better bacterial growth yet it's terrible at mechanicling .

No air and it's reversed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i talk Gb, and direct, the spelling you have to decipher

Ask a Question