Koi always at the surface

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it looks as tho youve got the return from the filter dumping right back around the pump!...these should be as far apart as possible to truly circulate the ponds water volume.....
hyacinth roots should long, up to 18" if theyre under 8" theyre probably getting nibbled.

Reaction score
The white roots are the new sprouts. The black roots are older growth. I rarely see white roots longer than an inch. And my black roots are not much longer. In a pond with no fish to eat on them, the roots will get to be well over a foot long. I have some in my baby Koi pools and the roots can hide 3 or 4-3" long fish easily.

Reaction score
My water return is only temporary right now till the clarifier comes today. Generally it is in the center of the pond though the waterfall in the picture.

I will use an elbow and turn the return to the center. Thanks for the tip koiguy. My plants are only 5 weeks so maybe they will reach longer after a bit.

I do see white sprouts on mny hyacinths. Lets see if they keep growing.

Will keep posting my water readings. I hope the fish hang in there and the nitrites don't rise.

Attachments

• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 293
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 270

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
salt is good preventative meds for nitrite troubles. it blocks the absorbtion into the fishes bloodstream helping to avoid nitrtie poisoning (brown blood disease). but isnt a solution to the problem....

Reaction score
Also when the leaves decomp that is very bad for the fish but shade will also help the koi out alot since you said you cleared away some of your plants

Reaction score
Yes, so I removed the rotting leaves and put back the hyacinths. I am thinking that before the summer I will build a shadeed patio or somethign like that for the pond. Should only cost a couple hundred bucks and will look nice.

BTW, another of the black ones died today. :(
I have pictures but I'll post them tomorrow. This is the second of the ones that was on the surface a lot. I havent seen the third black on since the past 2 days. Don't know if she's dead, she's not foating and I cannot see far enough to the bottom to see if she is there.

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of the dead fish, I cannot really see anything wrong... but then I am no expert.

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 306
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 315
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 318

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That notch between the nose and the eyes is symptomatic of KHV. If it is, you will lose everything, there is no cure.

Reaction score
What should I do? Shoud I remove all the fish and start over? Or wait for a few days?
If start over, what process do I follow now?

The third black one also died. I will post pictures in the evening.

Ask a Question