Koi always at the surface

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am not saying you do have it. I am only telling you what must be done if it is so. Only an expert with a microscope can tell you for sure.

If it is KHV, once they have all passed, everything has to be cleaned with bleach, including running bleach through all the pumps, lines, filters, valves etc.

KHV is highly contagious and cannot be cured or avoided by removing other fish once it is known that you have it.

Google KHV and look at photos of infected fish. You will see the tell tale notch I noticed in your fish.

Reaction score
Thanks Dr. DAve. i already googled it and saw what you were talking about. The third koi also had mucus on it, which is also a sign of KHV.

I'm going to wait it out for a few weeks to see if any others die. If they do, then I'll do as you suggested.

Reaction score
Posting pictures of teh second dead fish and its gills. The photos were atleast10 hours after it died, less than 18.
One gill was red and the other was white.

Attachments

• Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 289
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 295
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 292
Reaction score
You may want to contact your local Koi club and see if they have someone who can help test your fish. But I have to agree with the Doc. The pics sure are pointing to the possibility of KHV.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You might start documenting every addition to your pond and where it came from. The only way to stop it is to trace the source.

Ask a Question