Koi condo II

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Construction has begun on our 2nd pond. 10'x10'x4'. We are working with slopes in both directions so it hasn't been fun plus we have that wonderful red clay that everybody loves!
Hubby got the main dig done as this was my birthday present from him. He is done as he broke his wrist last week so I am now on my own. 3 walls started and the fourth should be leveled and anchored in a couple of days. After that it should go fast.
Also included a couple of pics of the plant life in the old pond including the bog we added last year.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 367
Reaction score
Why wasn't I smart of enough to tell my husband that the pond would be for my birthday?!

You did a great job! Love how the deck comes right up to the edge of the pond.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
looking good, dont men just go and brake something right at the wrong time !! :0)
those plants really took off in your bog ...i would like to try something like that on mine ...look forward to seeing more pics of your build
ps hope hubby mends soon :0)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks everybody. Koikeeper- the deck you mentioned is actually a small bridge across the pond. Never thought how much wading in I would have to do with a 10'x13' pond and it makes it so easy to move & trim plants. May have to build one for the new pond! Somebody stop me before I build again!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww it is fun to build. Slopes are a real pain, we have the same problem.
Had to dig in 2 feet to keep the lower berm manageable, ie under 3 feet. And both ends sloped. So now how do you hide a two foot clay dirt wall full of shale type rocks.

If I was closer I would pop over and give you a hand.

Keep up the great work!

Reaction score
seriously - that is so very pretty! Your plants looks so healthy.

That stinks he broke his wrist - I hope it wasn't doing the project. No more birthday presents for you. (LOL)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I have got the walls finished and am ready to start with the liner. The 4x4 posts ended up too long and rather than cutting them all off I decided to go deeper! Added 2x8s so now we are at 4'6". Should be about 3360Gallons. Underlay is in so just need to open the liner up and hopefully get it in place tomorrow. Hadn't thought about the fact that at 4'6" I would need a ladder to get in and out! Here are some pics of pond 1 with fish and my lotus that finally bloomed. Planning on using Rock on a roll to hide the outside of the pond walls.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 299

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I have got the walls finished and am ready to start with the liner. The 4x4 posts ended up too long and rather than cutting them all off I decided to go deeper! Added 2x8s so now we are at 4'6". Should be about 3360Gallons. Underlay is in so just need to open the liner up and hopefully get it in place tomorrow. Hadn't thought about the fact that at 4'6" I would need a ladder to get in and out! Here are some pics of pond 1 with fish and my lotus that finally bloomed. Planning on using Rock on a roll to hide the outside of the pond walls.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks Dr. Case- I was surprised how fast I got the liner in- 2 1/2 hours! We now have about 8" of water in and letting it set to get the bottom evened out. Hopefully tomorrow fill some more and start on the deck for the 150gal. stock tank!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks Dr. Case- I was surprised how fast I got the liner in- 2 1/2 hours! We now have about 8" of water in and letting it set to get the bottom evened out. Hopefully tomorrow fill some more and start on the deck for the 150gal. stock tank!

Ask a Question