Koi eggs laid Monday April

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
In your pics, Matt, it looks like a wide difference in the size of the babies, but I believe it's because some are closer to the front and some are farther back. Really neat, though, to see the dimension.

Reaction score
Some did grow faster some slower but most ate the same size I wish I had 3-500 but hopefully next full moon I can do it again next tine I'll be ready still all doing great What's the best forum for koi breeding advice koi bito or koiphen?

Reaction score
Best pics of the day as always Amanda took em
fa98e4ae.jpg

c8ffd987.jpg

And a group shot
40198f8d.jpg

Enjoy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So, knowing your koi laid their eggs on that rock, I guess I don't have to worry about if my lilies are growing big enough for them to spawn on, as they may lay eggs on the sides or bottom or rocks! My lilies are growing, one is ready to open it's flower, but nothing is growing what I would call "actively" here in IL. Looks like temps begin the warm up again next Monday (after a very chilly weekend predicted).

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koi will lay eggs any and everywhere... but they will tend to stay in shallower areas. if you make spawn mops they will use them. plants and crevaces are first choices. spawn mops mimick plantlife. as theyre coated with eggs and fertilized you can remove them into a safe haven to hatch and raise. make 4 - 6 mops and rotate them as desied...you'll have lots of babies to raise.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am amazed by this thread. Matt you are being such a great paterfamilias and doing a great job documenting it. But how in the heck did you count the eggs? Did you put little numbers on them... LOL

Keep the updates coming and don't worry, if you want to wear fingernail polish you can... LOL

Reaction score
Country escape I'd go with what koi guy says it all seems pretty accurate from my experience which is none only advice I can really give is read any and everything you can get your hands on ESP is forums I just read and try to lern how to not make other peoples mistakes but one thing I know for sure is most left in pond with fish disappear as eggs I check often to see if any are alive. But all the ones inside are doing amazing I'm not sure 107 I figure it between 90-120 will def hand count soon they grow really fast with good clean water turns out koi put off hormones to detect Overcrowding also so in theory clean aged water changed often will get the big enuf to count again still no dead ones and their not eating each other so I'm still assuming they are all still alive I now run the power filter at about 15 gallons an hour and the fish do fine enuf to not get sucked in I turn off most of the day because of feeding and scoop all bottom funk up at night and cut the filter on to catch the rest they def like the reef Light with the Kirk combo google it some are getting very yellow some still pale still size and development differences head bones are coming in nicely along with other organs tht I can't reconize but didn't see yesterday still no taste buds I'm guessing because if it doesn't move they won't nibble on it so still feeding fresh hatched sea monkeys for now ok now pics and thanks everyone for just reading an more thinks to ppl with advice and input as always a couple close ups and a group shot
34226f59.jpg

251a48d7.jpg

1895e2c2.jpg

Pictures by Amanda comment subscribe if u have pics of other 7 day old koi id love to see them
For a sort of tefrence thanks again everyone for joining me on this endevor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks to Amanda for taking more great pictures! And, I loved her fingernail polish. I didn't even notice it until someone pointed it out. Bet we don't get a chance to see it again, though. Probably made her self conscious about it. :) Those babies are sure growing, and in another week or two will start showing some real colors! You will have each of them named, too. :razz: :LOL: :goldfish:

Reaction score
I'll told her thanks she loved it she is my baby angel i reset up my tank and elevated it because Trying to vacuum an aquarium when it's on ground level plus laying on the ground wasn't cutting it I'll keep them and rotated every Time I get new fry I'll just have to find homes for 90% of them as nobody n my family wants me to cull them when I have a pond at one of my families rental properties and my bros gonna build what looks like a 2000 gallon pond so here's pics of the new setup Tank is only half full but I'm
Aging 7 gallons of water for 24 hours and put half in then add the other half soon after well here's bad pics I took of my new stand
0d12111a.jpg

Her nail polish color is called Cajun shrimp lmao

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are a devoted pa pa Matt and what a nice set up for your babies!

Cajun Shrimp eh?..................
uglymanlaughs.gif

Reaction score
I lost a fish today I think I tried to rush filling up my 55 so I'll let the water age longer I guess nobody's perfect still eating live food only damn I don't know It wasn't skinny or small def in the 20% biggest ones I wanna blame mother nature but temp was stable no measurable levels of ammonia or ni I don't know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I can't believe you have not lost more than 50% so far. Obviously you are doing a superb job, Matt!!! I would never have undertaken your project at least not to the extreme you are, and if you're going to do it, you should do it the way you are. I know other ponders put the spawn mops into a large outside tub that has plants in it and a bubbler. Not sure about filtration, maybe just the bubbler until they grow enough to go back outside. You have raise a huge number there, so don't kick yourself for losing one. Even if you lose 20%, that still in my book would be an outstanding job!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry you lost the little guy Matt but still only one so far and that is very good! You are doing way more than your fair share of caring for them and cudo's to you for even trying all of this! I'm hoping you lose no more but don't get too upset if you do and we are all pulling for them to make it!

Reaction score
Day 9 I think all other fish surived the night some are showning little grey under the back of the tail all are looking great only lost the one so far still eating brine they will take little bits on flakes and egg yoke but brine works best because. It swims around for hours as opposed to sinking and rotting thanks for all the hope I only lost one they can have the power filter on full blast with sponge pre filter very strong swimmers but I don't run it much because it sucks a the swimming brine up so I cut it on once q day to keep the media alive now pictures I'll try to get Amanda to take better but here's my attempt at photography
13afc581.jpg

9a40eaa0.jpg

13958329.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
WAY TO GO MATT!!! I still remain super impressed that you have all of these babies surviving for you, a first time Koi Daddy! I realize experienced koi keepers may keep a vast majority to the fry, but you are amazing. Just goes to show that you learned extremely fast, and found the right info first off to get your tank up and running immediately when you found the eggs. I bet you will have a hard time getting rid of them when they get older. This attachment will be very strong between you and your babies. :)

Ask a Question