Koi eggs laid Monday April

Reaction score
Yes they spawn when it starts to warm up during full moons and a bubbler helps other then that I say try being lucky u can raise a egg to adult if u don't have old enuf koi female 4 years male 2 years great water quality and when it happens u might miss it and all the eggs get eaten before u get to them and never know they have been spawning other then that luck money time energy i def understand y a beautiful small fish can be so pricey Some ppl say they spawn every season except winter here in louisiana I can see that being true hope this helps I'm sure somebody else will chime in with better advice

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonderful pics Matt of the little ones. They are growing and wow now eating freeze dry!

Reaction score
So I picked up a stock pond and hooked up a easy filtration system for about 500 gallon recommend I'm using it in the 100 gallon got really lucky and found an old light green one for 99 plastic not foam/fiberglass like rubbermaid gonna let it get going for atleast another week while I grow them inside been taking the water I pull of during water changes of the 55 gallon and adding that to the 100 gallons of fresh filter has bio balls sponge and live lava rock from the 55 hopefully I can get it cycled or atleast past the first ammonia spike before I put the little ones In it I also covered it with a very sweet minnow net here's the out door hatchery pics
0ea07378.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You just keep going and going, those babies are going to grow so fast with all your superb care! What a great caretaker you are. They are really lucky babies, first because you found them immediately and they didn't get eaten as eggs, and second because you have given them 5 star care from the get go. I'm be hoping you get some Showa, too! Will be fun to watch them start coming into colors. We will miss the awesome photo shots once they are in the outdoor tub, though. You may have to net them and put them in a holding aquarium for pics. LOL You have spoiled us with those great closeup shots.

Reaction score
I'm just trying to not lose a single one if anybody asks hey matt would u do it again after knowing how expensive it gets and would u just buy 2 expensive showas I'd def just buy the full grown females. But since Ive decided to go this way I'm gonna de it to the best of my ability heck next year this time who knows I could have amazing koi from what I've read and done and the parents quality they should be really pretty by which time u guess I'll build a mega pond stay tuned I guess.
Day 14 official Amanda pics
31ad1913.jpg

Close up solo
2c1d2daf.jpg

0a900d01.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Happy 2 wk Birthday little fishes! I love these photo's (good job Amanda!) Matt and neat find on the tubs!
Will be great to see them get to graduate to the outdoor pond eventually! Mega pond would be wonderful!
And I'm staying tuned!

Reaction score
Added My water Lilly to the baby grow outdoor stock tank also added a few water lettuce and cut the uvsterlizer one figure I'll let that run for a few days to kill any bad stuff that came in if any probably cut it off n two days and let the pond run to keep building up my bio load should be ready for a few fish in 5 days with then keep an eye but I
Trying to get my ammonia up with old water from 55 just keeping the testing up I guess. Alot of the fry are getting black spots but not all some are still solid yellowish everybody eats anything u give them at this point here's the pics by Amanda of the very well cared for fry.

a94450f1.jpg

a0632167.jpg

c97f057b.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
More nice pix! Your fish are gonna be so spoiled by you that they will never want to leave if you decide to sell any!

Reaction score
I'll give most away keep the best 10 I feel like if I did it to sell em they'd all die I never planned on raising koi babies it wouldn't be the same I'll make my money back by having a few fish tht are amazing looking so I paid about 250 for 60-80 little koi I've seen 2 year old fish sell for more then that so I'm ahead either way it's been hella fun

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Wow, a lot of growth since I haven't been checking in the last several days. Cool pics, when they get some more size and your ready to start culling lmk, I'll drive down and possibly buy a few to help with the expenses. I only have two showa and neither are from that great of bloodlines. My fry look way behind yours, a few are starting to show some spotting as well. Since they are outdoors they are harder to see and photograph but I see I do need to update my thread soon! GOOD JOB!

Reaction score
Cull shoot I'll keep growing them all worse case I give the unwanted ones tO the pet store around the corner I don't see any obvious deformities and I have a good mix not to sound cocky but Im pretty sure even the ugliest ones will be pond quality but we will see either way about 30 koi atleast will need a home in a out 2 months if that and donations are always welcome either way I def would like to see an update on ur thread and I put the good light on them today and got Amanda to snap a few shots and here they are

a1a28a21.jpg

Today's best shot top 5 best so far
9e0fcb5e.jpg

1575f7ac.jpg

0f8f2e10.jpg

1803d83c.jpg

Enjoy

Ask a Question